SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : A New Covenant

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re: by philologos on 2010/8/5 1:10:15

by philologos on 2010/8/5 1:10:15

"In the Abrahamic covenant the seal of the covenant was circumcision. Circumcision was a private and a covert sign.
------------------------------------------------------------

Circumcision was an outward sign that one was born into covenant, and not so much a seal per se.

Do you have scripture to back this up?

Only the LORD had a delight in thy fathers to love them, and he chose their seed after them, even you above all people, as it is this day. Circumcise therefore the foreskin of your heart, and be no more stiffnecked. For the LORD your God is God of gods, and Lord of lords, a great God, a mighty, and a terrible,

which regardeth not persons, nor taketh reward... (Deut. 10.15-17).

It was a sign that God did not respect what acts of righteousness you had done or how you had made yourself appear to be among men.

It was done as a constant reminder

It is no different today. Abraham believed God before the physical act of circumcision, and this is the circumcision of the heart...isn't it?

The Law did not produce bondage, but children unto bondage, and this is what Paul is alluding to and stating comparing Hagar-Sinai to Sarah-Jerusalme.

It was a sign in the sense that it reminded these who were born into covenant that there was to be a circumcision of the heart. Historically, after the cutting away of that small portion of the flesh, before the dispersion--and even with the Jews (of Judah and Benjamin, and some of the more devout of Israel as well), the foreskin was saved, put in a pouch type phylactery, which was bound to the right arm by a crimson chord.

Circumcision was a public and overt sign, and not so hidden as one might think. It was performed ceremonially in public view in the Temple, and the sign of it was worn on the right arm.

Paul spoke of bearing in His body the 'signs' of being (a bond-slave in the New Covenant) of Jesus.

In the Sinai Covenant the seat of the covenant was the Sabbaths. Sabbath keeping was a very public and overt sign.

The seat of the covenant was not any sabbath.

Jesus said no man was made for the sabbath, but sabbath was for humanity, (not just Hebrews).

the seat of the covenant was represented by the ark, and BENEATH the mercy seat was the ten commandments, and beside(s) this there was the Mosaic Law representing a way to walk healthy, wealthy and wisely, so that when Messiah comes into His Kingdom reign, they might be a holy nation, dedicated as kings and priests onto God.

These writings, both God's commandments and the Mosaic Law were the habeas corpus of the covenant. They together represent God's body, 'the bread' of God's covenant.

Jesus is the physical embodiment of this, and if we are in Him, we too will walk as He walked. This is the way of His Spirit: grace expressed through love and truth (aka: The Law.)

what is the seal of the covenant in the New Covenant?"

The seal of the Abrahamic covenant was a brand-mark in his flesh by which God said "this is mine".

The overt seal of the Sinai Covenant was the Sabbath, a mark on the community by which God said "this is mine".
To paragraph 2 and 3 above, these things need a bit more research.

You best look to the original Hebrew ms. before you state the above.

What is the Biblical basis for these statements?

what is the seal of the covenant in the New Covenant?"

The seal of the Abrahamic covenant was a brand-mark in his flesh by which God said "this is mine".
The seal of ALL covenants is the Spirit of God making it possible for us to believe -->(to do as we affirm)--in the first place, which leads to circumcision of the heart.

The seal of the New Covenant is the gift of the Spirit. A mark by which God says "this is mine".

"But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His." Rom 8:9 NKJV

This last verse is sometimes interpreted as though it were saying "all who are Christ's have the Spirit". That is not what it says, this verse says "if you do not have the Spirit you are not 'his' in the sense of being united with him in the New Covenant.

RIGHT ON BROTHER! However, many there be who do not understand that to have the Spirit of 'The-Annointed-of-God' (translated 'Christ')...

--is the (aka: Jesus, for there is no other name... by which we can be saved)--

...means that we walk following in His very footsteps. By His Spirit, we do and be as He is.

Jesus said, " 'Many' will say to me in that day, Lord Lord, didn't we...and i will say to them 'i never knew you, depart from me you law-breakers."

There is a moving passage in Ezekiel where God reminds his people of the effect of entering into covenant with him.

"“When I passed by you again and looked upon you, indeed your time was the time of love; so I spread My wing over you and covered your nakedness. Yes, I swore an oath to you and entered into a covenant with you, and you became Mine,” says the Lord GOD." Ezek 16:8 NKJV

look deeper...

This is referring to both Exodus 19 and 20. To look at 20 without accounting 19 into this is to completely miss the point.

If Exodus 20 is the basis of understanding without the context of 19, we come up with a skewd understanding.

Love, Hope, and Faith,
gregg

...I ceased not to warn every one night and day with tears. And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified.
Acts 20:31-32

2010/8/5 7:21
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Phanetheus on 2010/8/5 9:21:51 writes...

"In the Abrahamic covenant the seal of the covenant was circumcision. Circumcision was a private and a covert sign.

Circumcision was an outward sign that one was born into covenant, and not so much a seal per se.

"And he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had while still uncircumcised, that he might be the father of all those who believe, though they are uncircumcised, that righteousness might be imputed to them also," Rom 4:11 NKJV

It was, of course, a outward but private sign. In the normal course of events, after the ceremony itself, only the individual and God would be conscious of the sign.

In the case of Abra/ha/m both Ishmael and Ab's household males were all circumcised. This was not a sign that they were born into 'covenant' but a sign that what was Abraham's was also God's… all that belonged to Ab received the brand.

"the sign of it was worn on the right arm. "
do you have Scripture documentation for this statement?
-----------------------------------------------------------

"The seat of the covenant was not any sabbath."

"“Speak also to the children of Israel, saying: ‘Surely My Sabbaths you shall keep, for it is a sign between Me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I am the LORD who sanctifies you." Ex 31:13 NKJV

"You best look to the original Hebrew ms. before you state the above."
What verses are you referring to?

"look deeper...

This is referring to both Exodus 19 and 20. To look at 20 without accounting 19 into this is to completely miss the point.

If Exodus 20 is the basis of understanding without the context of 19, we come up with a skewd understanding."

I am very familiar with these chapters. What are you referring to?

2010/8/5 9:23Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Galatians 4:21-31 Tell me, ye that desire to be under the law, do ye not hear the law? For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman. But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise. Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar. For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children. But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all. For it is written, Rejoice, thou barren that bearest not; break forth and cry, thou that travailest not: for the desolate hath many more children than she which hath an husband. Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise. But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now. Nevertheless what saith the scripture? Cast out the bondwoman and her son: for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman. So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman, but of the free.

I would much rather be under the Grace and freewoman of God than under the Law and bondwoman.

Grace brings forth the freedom of the Law in me.

Law brings forth the penalty of death and captivity of the bondwoman.

The flesh must die, the Spirit must live, if it is the Spirit of Christ that lives in us. The Law killed the flesh, Grace exchanged death for life in Christ Jesus, who is my all in all. I am no longer under the Law, but I am totally emersed in the Law, for the perfect Law of Life in Christ Jesus has set me free from the Law of sin and death.

In Christ: Phillip

2010/8/5 21:06Profile

Re:

by philologos on 2010/8/5 5:23:38
Phanetheus on 2010/8/5 9:21:51 writes...

"And he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had while still uncircumcised, that he might be the father of all those who believe, though they are uncircumcised, that righteousness might be imputed to them also," Rom 4:11 NKJV

Here it says that Circumcision is a seal not of covenant, but of righteousness by faith.

Covenant ensues (or not) after two parties estimate (do an accounting: Ab was accounted, and so promise of Covenant was given.
============================================================

"the sign of it was worn on the right arm. "
do you have Scripture documentation for this statement?

There are inferences of this statement regarding covenat, such as "of my right arm/hand" as this is where the inscission or mark of covenant is carried.

The Talmud states such and there are historical/anthropological resources, but it has been a long time since that was studied and these books have been given to other ministers who could use them.

(One book recalled that brings these things said together comprehensively in detail, was a book owned , if memory serves correctly, "The Blood Covenant" by a guy named Trumbull(?).)
"The seat of the covenant was not any sabbath."

"“Speak also to the children of Israel, saying: ‘Surely My Sabbaths you shall keep, for it is a sign between Me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I am the LORD who sanctifies you." Ex 31:13 NKJV

The seat of the covenant is literally "the mercy seat", without the sprinkling of blood on which, there is no propitiation for the breaking of God's commands. Without this yearly atonement, the covenant was recognized without a covering for failure to keep their end of the covenant.

Sabbaths is speaking in regard to the High Holy days, is it not? The seven yearly celebrations were a sign of covenant. The 7 days of these 7 celebrations were shadows of sanctification to come.

God already sanctified His Sabbath in the Garden of Eden. So, it is a recognition time in estimation of God and what He does, already a sanctified event, "for humanity."

If Exodus 20 is the basis of understanding without the context of 19, we come up with a skewd understanding."

I am very familiar with these chapters. What are you referring to?

The whole impudence of the children of Israel, and then it turns to "fear not!"

The passage (19&20) shows the love of God and how he communicates back and forth with his people, even when His expectations of us are beyond what we think we will keep.

This was what was recieved from a sermon God put before me by G. Campbell Morgan, called "Grace and Law." That was a summary in byte size form.

I am not explaining the full details and he does a far better job of it. When there is time, it will be typed and forewarded here. i have quickly perused it, but have failed yet to study it, being so busy of late.

There are other things in notes that i must go back and check as well, as some of the thoughts escape me presently.
(probably will be recalled now that i say i don't recall exactly. S'pose thats the good side of Mr. Murphy?)

God Bless you brother.
Shalom to you are yours,
gregg

p.s. Mara natha!

2010/8/5 21:20
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: 'to reveal his son in me' & 'Christ in you the hope of glory'

I wanted to say another word or two about Paul...

Most translations have the preposition 'in' as part of this passage…

"But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother’s womb and called me through His grace, 16 to reveal His Son IN me, that I might preach Him among the Gentiles, I did not immediately confer with flesh and blood," Gal 1:15–16 NKJV

..with only the ESV and its mentor the RSV relegating the word 'in' to the margin and choosing 'to' instead.

Some have made it clear that they think I lean too heavily towards Paul in what I have been saying but there is a strong reason for this. We have more biographical detail on Paul than any other person in the New Testament, and this is not accidental. Paul explained it thus..

"This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief. 16 However, for this reason I obtained mercy, that IN ME first Jesus Christ might show all longsuffering, as A PATTERN to those who are going to believe on Him for everlasting life." 1 Tim 1:15–16 NKJV

Paul claims to be a visual aid, a pattern of what God can do IN a man. He claims that he was chosen, among other reasons, to show "in me" all long-suffering… as a pattern to those who are going to believe on Him… Do we appreciate that Paul's biography is a unique record of the 'son in me'? If we want to know what Paul meant by the phrase 'Christ in you' that he uses in Col 1:27 we will do well to examine a man IN whom God chose to reveal his Son.

a technical bit!!
The Greek preposition 'en' which is translated 'in' here is sometimes translated 'within'. It is the preposition that indicates that something has a settled place 'within' something else. The Greek preposition 'eis', on the other hand, can be translated 'into' or 'towards'; it has a note of 'movement' in the word. So I might say "I put the coin 'into' (eis) my pocket" but I would then have to say "the coin is 'in/within' (en) my pocket". I don't mean to be too technical here I just want to point out what a serious mistake the RSV/ESV have made in making the primary translation 'to' and relegating 'in' to the margin. 'en' cannot possibly be translated 'to'.

However 'en' can be translated as 'by'. This is what is known as 'instrumentality'. Here is an example. The phrase 'kill with the sword' used in Rev 2:16; 6:8; 13:10 might literally be translated 'kill in the sword'. This is a Greek idiom. The cause of death is seen to be 'in' the instrument ie the sword.

If you don't understand that don't worry. What it means is that we could equally translate Gal 1:16 as 'it pleased God to reveal his son BY me'. God was the agent of the revelation but the 'instrument' was Paul.

This is why the life of Paul is so instructive to us; his life is a major instrument that God uses to reveal what happens when Christ indwells a man or woman. I am not saying that we all have apostolic roles but in the basics of life Paul is a challenging pattern. It is not lightly that he says...

"Therefore I urge you, imitate me." 1 Cor 4:16 NKJV
"For this reason I have sent Timothy to you, who is my beloved and faithful son in the Lord, who will remind you of my ways in Christ, as I teach everywhere in every church." 1 Cor 4:17 NKJV
"Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ." 1 Cor 11:1 NKJV

'my ways in Christ as I teach everywhere…' Paul's 'ways' were sometimes the text upon which he based his teaching.

In Paul's case the purpose of the revelation of the 'Son in me' is stated clearly. It is so that he might 'evangelise' the Gentiles. It was not just his teaching but his life which was the gospel.

"Through Him we have received grace and apostleship for obedience to the faith among all nations for His name," Rom 1:5 NKJV

Paul's life of obedience and faith was 'lived out' among the Gentiles. Our life of obedience and faith may similarly be 'lived out' among our neighbours.

2010/8/6 4:31Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re: 'to reveal his son in me' & 'Christ in you the hope of glory'

Ron wrote:

Quote:
This is why the life of Paul is so instructive to us; his life is a major instrument that God uses to reveal what happens when Christ indwells a man or woman. I am not saying that we all have apostolic roles but in the basics of life Paul is a challenging pattern. It is not lightly that he says...

Quote:
Paul's life of obedience and faith was 'lived out' among the Gentiles. Our life of obedience and faith may similarly be 'lived out' among our neighbours.

It is a well known saying that 'the only epistle most people will read is us (christians)'.

This is a good provoking word to remember and what a responsibility we have! Do people see Christ in me?

2010/8/6 5:05Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: The Abrogated Covenant

I was browsing, as you do, through the Geneva Bible the other day and came across a very strong translation of...

In that He says, “A new covenant,” He has made the first obsolete. Now what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away. Heb 8:13 NKJV

Almost all modern version opt for 'obsolete' which is pretty strong in itself but Geneva has...

In that he saith a new Testament, he hath abrogate the olde: nowe that which is disanulled and waxed olde, is ready to vanish away. Gen Heb 8:13.

I don't know what 'abrogate' meant in 1560 but in today's English it means...

abrogate |ˈabrəˌgāt|
verb [ trans. ] formal
repeal or do away with (a law, right, or formal agreement)

if we substitute part of that definition in Heb 8:13 we get...

In that he saith a new Testament, he hath repealed the olde: nowe that which is disanulled and waxed olde, is ready to vanish away

Not much room there for a continuing Old Covenant?

2010/8/10 7:09Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
In that he saith a new Testament, he hath repealed the olde: nowe that which is disanulled and waxed olde, is ready to vanish away

KJV uses the term "disannulled". In modern English, we simply use the term "annulled". We can all make the analogy to the annulling of a marriage and see how it applies to the old covenant.

Recall that the law is made, not for the righteous, but for the unrighteous. I wake up every morning and have absolutely zero thought of the law in Missouri against murder. This law is on the books in my state, but it does not apply to me because I am not a murderer. Because I have been transformed by the power of the Spirit and am made over a new creature I will never have to give this law a second thought. Similarly under the new covenant God's laws are written in our heart. They are a living reality that renders the dead letter useless and void.

By the way, this is an interesting study. How many times were Jesus, His followers, and His disciples told by the Pharisees that what they were doing was unlawful. How many times were these things simply Talmudic tradition, and how many times were these things actual transgression of the letter of the written law? If those in the new covenant are required to keep the law of the old covenant, and if that law is not annulled, then what are we to make of the mediator of the new covenant Himself failing to keep the letter of the old covenant? The greatest example of this is probably the record of Jesus and His disciples harvesting corn (or grain) from a field on the Sabbath.

Jesus tried to teach the Pharisees that the physical Sabbath was not the issue, but was a picture of a greater rest of faith (Hebrews brings this about beautifully). The issue was not the keeping of a day. That day, and the accompanying one year in seven, was always only a shadow or picture of a greater reality to come. When the greater reality is come, the picture is to be discarded. If my wife is away for a time, I may often gaze at a picture of her. But when she returns, I forget the picture exists. Why would I spend my time gazing at her image, when I can gaze at and interact with her personally?

2010/8/10 8:30Profile

Re:

by philologos on 2010/8/10 3:09:24

I was browsing, as you do, through the Geneva Bible the other day and came across a very strong translation of...
Yur lil' kotz thinks it be HeyDave yur talking to?

...or mayhaps you have caught the influence of the R.C. Sproul version of it here, "The Reformation Study Bible?"

philogos continues:
In that He says, “A new covenant,” He has made the first obsolete. Now what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away. Heb 8:13 NKJV

Almost all modern version opt for 'obsolete' which is pretty strong in itself but Geneva has...

In that he saith a new Testament, he hath abrogate the olde: nowe that which is disanulled and waxed olde, is ready to vanish away. Gen Heb 8:13.
Dude, why can't you just accept what is plainly stated, rather than trying to make the Bible say what it clearly does not?????

In olde Queen's english this verse means exactly what the NKJV states:

"He HATH abrogated the olde"
equals
"IS BECOMING obsolete."

"Hath" is a present tense continuous verb. Abrogation is not yet occured, no matter whether we think so or not.

God says that until heaven and earth have passes away the Old Covenant is more valid than when THE PROMISE OF IT WAS WALKED TOWARD at Sinai.

The olde is completed in preparation to vanish when the prophets are completely fulfilled.

It is READY TO VANISH, 'as the handwriting of ordinances against us', 'the curse of the law'
--initiated when God's cursed the ground, plant life, animal life, and humanity for Adam and Eve's one sin, was spelled out in detail through the Mosaic Law--
was nailed to the cross.

Truth is revealed by God's Spirit ( I Cor. 2.10-16; John 14.17; 15:.6; 16.13 ), so our calling has nothing to do with our works. Romans 9.16 tells us that it is not of him who wills or of him who runs, but of God who shows mercy. Thus, we are in this position because God, by His Spirit, has drawn us. He, by His Spirit, has revealed Himself, His Word, and the purpose of life to us. Our calling and election are completely a work of grace. At the point of our calling, law-keeping has nothing to do with it, but comes into play later when our faith works through love.

Yet, we must recognize what exactly this means.

What are we saved for?

Eph. 2.8-10

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

The Bible defines love for and of God like this:

(Jesus said,) " "If you love me, keep my precepts-commanded." ( Jn. 14.15 )

This is the love of God, that we keep His commandments."
( I Jn. 5.3).

In the same way, Paul says when we really believe in(to) the Jesus who lived as He lived in the gospels, we will conform our life activities into His way of living on earth as well. This produces the keeping the Law, which is not yet abolished.

Paul like John says faith works by (what the Bible calls) love, in Gal. 5:

4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

5 For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.

6 For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.

Paul says the exact same thing as v. 6 above in a different way in I Cor. 7.19 :

"Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God."

The evidence of our faith, then, is in whether or not we keep His commandments. John tells us that the basis of love is commandment-keeping. It is not the whole picture, because emotion, feeling, is also tied to it, but we have to begin somewhere, and the bottom line is keeping the commandments.

Another statement that proves that Paul was not doing away with law keeping comes right from the context of the Gal. 5 passage (above). The word "Spirit" reflects on a subject he dealt with earlier. The enemy—The Jewish concision—believed that their calling and election by God came because they were circumcised according to the Law, keeping even the Levitical way .

Paul is saying, "No. We are drawn to God by His Spirit," which is what Jesus says in John 6:44-45, which also gives us implication as well, as to exactly when the Law will be written on our hearts and minds in Jeremiah's prophecy of the future:

44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

45 It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.

Now is the time of being drawn to God by His Spirit, walking in the faith(fulness) of Christ Jesus through His grace. We are saved unto, not into good works.

"...Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good. Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid."
( Rom. 7.12-13 )

Our experience of God is limited to what we know from Him.

God is not going to be unholy and bow down and accept our own ways because we think they are right.

In imitation of the great God, our saviour Jesus Christ, walking in Him in His faith(fulness towards our Heavenly Father and His gifts of grace flow as promised.

What avails is faith working through love, fulfilling the law in our own lives.

Our experience of God in our lives is limited to our knowledge and affirmation of Genesis thru Revelation in thought word and deed.

Love, Hope, and Faith,
gregg

...I ceased not to warn every one night and day with tears. And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified.
Acts 20:31-32

2010/8/10 8:37
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

by Phanetheus on 2010/8/10 10:37:46
"In olde Queen's english this verse means exactly what the NKJV states:

"He HATH abrogated the olde"
equals
"IS BECOMING obsolete."

"Hath" is a present tense continuous verb. Abrogation is not yet occured, no matter whether we think so or not."

I fear you understand neither English Grammar nor Greek Grammar.

First:
"has abrogated" is English Perfect Tense. To split off the 'has' would leave the word 'abrogated' without any tense at all.

Second:
πεπαλαίωκεν is the verb in the Greek Perfect Tense (Verb 3 sing perf act indic to make or become old, wear out).

Here is an explanation of the Greek Perfect tense from the BlueLetterBible Website:
"The perfect tense in Greek corresponds to the perfect tense in English, and describes an action which is viewed as having been completed in the past, once and for all, not needing to be repeated.

Jesus' last cry from the cross, TETELESTAI ("It is finished!") is a good example of the perfect tense used in this sense, namely "It [the atonement] has been accomplished, completely, once and for all time."

The significance of the Perfect Tense in both Biblical Greek and English is that it denotes an event that has been completed and whose effects are continuing.

2010/8/10 9:37Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy