SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The top 3 books that have influnced your life (other then the bible)

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re: The top 3 books that have influnced your life (other then the bible)

The 3 books I would have to say is:

1. Bible Stories - my mom read to me as a Kid.
2. Madame Guyon's complete writings
3. Practicing the Presence of God - by Brother Lawrence.

Now the reasons why:

1. As a child my Mom would read the Bible Stories to me that we would also see at the waiting rooms of Doctors and Dentists offices. I remembered those stories the most growing up and would wonder at them.

2. Madame Guyon's writings - realizing there is more to this walk with God than some "Religion" of finding faults with other Sects, people, thoughts..etc. That is God does want me to learn to do good works but that running myself in the ground doing them will not get Him to draw closer to me. Reading about her walk and others like her taught me that their is a personal side to God that wants to walk and talk with me daily. Be still and know that I am God. Be satisfied with your Bread and gain wisdom. Draw nigh to God and he will draw nigh to you. The inner voice....she has been the single biggest influence on my walk after getting saved...and I have God to thank for that! When I read or hear people critize Madame Guyon and the Mystics, I think to myself...now there is a person that has not the knowledge of being still in the presence of God and calling out to God to spend time alone with Him in conversation....it's easier to critize than take this walk, it's easier to be miserable than learn to give up everything for the single love of God in your inner most part of your heart (which for the blessed can take a few days and for others years), it's easier to be a show boat of holiness than to be full of the Holy Spirit and talk with him all the time....yes, walking with God takes lots of determination, forgiveness, practice and love!

3. Practicing the Presence of God - by Brother Lawrence .... this book showed me that as high and mighty as I seem to the world and myself....it means nothing to God. That a person of the lowest esteem can be more happier with God than a person with Millions of gemstones and diamonds. When you take the time to be with God, you learn how empty everything else is. You desire to share with love the gift God has given you and you Cut to the chase of everything in your witness to others....to show them Jesus on the earth (not you and your ego..Jesus a forgiven Sinner)....they are reached one way or another through love. There is a glow about you that others want and ask about...they open the door for the gift of eternity. It's always great to witness but what a joy when they see the difference in you (and you are complete strangers most of the time) and ask you why....let the Angels sing...the door has been opened to share God's love and forgiveness!

I thank God for his Word the most. His love letters to us to learn more about him and to come before him with some knowledge of him as we learn more about him in his presence!
PJ

2005/2/20 7:52

Re: I keep seeing this book

After seeing this book mentioned so many times I decided that I would order it. I have him over and over again on the downloads and like what I hear. So I decided to buy a first edition of it to add to my library.

Why Revival Tarries.

Thanks everyone for mentioning it.
PJ

2005/2/22 6:07
Compton

Re: Top 3 books

Utmost for His Highest: Oswald Chambers

If: Amy Carmichael

The Cost of Descipleship: Dietrich Bonhoeffer

2005/2/25 8:57Profile

Re:

Top 3 books:

Why Revival Tarries - Leonard Ravenhill
Rees Howells Intercessor - Norman Grubb
Holiness - J.C. Ryle

That was tough. There's a lot of great books out there but off the top of my head I would have to agree with many of you when I say that the most influential book in my life was 'Why Revival Tarries'. The other 2 were harder to decide (so many great biographies and books on revival that have meant so much).

Thanks for doing this - I'm recording every book listed that i have not read so i can go out and read it.

God bless.

2005/2/25 10:34

Re:

I think the book that KrispyKrittr is referring to is a book called 'Vanya' by Myrna Grant...and i agree, it is an amazing story. Hope that was helpful.

2005/2/25 10:37
Yodi

Escondido, California

Re:

I've already posted in this topic once upon a time, but I was hoping to get the opportunity to share the powerful words I just read from Gene Edwards in the book "A Tale of Three Kings". And here's the topic! Here's the open door!

What a heart searcher this was for me last night! What a hope!

"Outward power will always unveil the inner resources, or the lack thereof."

"A gift is worn on the outer man; an inheritance is planted deep inside - like a seed. Yet, even though it is such a small planting, this planting grows and, in time, fills all the inner man."

2005/2/25 13:35Profile
nedcook

Shoals, Indiana, USA

Re: The top 3 books that have influnced your life (other then the bible)

I am new to SermonIndex and just signed up. Looks like there is some great stuff here that will take some time to explore.

This thread caught my eye because I'm currently reading the book "Indelible Ink" by Scott Larsen. In it he asks 22 prominent, contemporary Christian leaders to name the three most influential books in their life. C. S. Lewis and John Calvin are the names that have popped up most frequently so far. It's an amazing book and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. You can get one relatively inexpensively on Amazon.com if you use the "used and new" option (which I did).

My personal selections would be:

1. Hudson Taylor's Life in two volumes by Mrs. Howard Taylor

2. The Work of Christ by P. T. Forsyth

3. The Methodist Hymn Book

2005/3/12 20:13Profile
Aussiedler

GERMANY

Re:

1. Normal Christian Life - Watchman Nee
2. My Calvary Road - Roy Hession
3. The Breaking of the outer man and the release of the Spirit - Watchman Nee
4. God Chasers - Tommy Tenney (Obscure Doctrines, but God used this book...)
5. Bruce Olson Biography
6. Rees Howells Intercessor - Norman Grubb
7. Sit, Walk, Stand - Watchman Nee

2005/3/12 20:32Profile
nedcook

Shoals, Indiana, USA

Re:

OK two more fantastic books that impacted me tremendously:

Harold St. John: A Portrait by His Daughter by Patricia St. John

Abandoned to God, the life of Oswald Chambers by David McCasland.

2005/3/12 21:37Profile
TonyS

Kansas City, Missouri

Re: 3 books that have influenced your life.

Most of the books mentioned have been Christian/Spiritual in nature......

Three Non-Religious books that I have read in the last few months:

1) Incidents in the life of a slave girl, by Harriett Jacobs

2) Lincoln the Unknown, by Dale Carnegie

3) (reading currently) Diary of a Young Girl, by Anne Frank

All of these books have the common thread of man's inhumanity towards man. I have been humbled by reading these works and recommend them to you.

tony

2005/3/13 0:26Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy