Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Take Me Out To The Ballgame

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Take Me Out To The Ballgame

I wish I could really apologize to any Yankees fans out there, but I would be lying :-P

A rather improbable comeback has been going on this past week in the baseball playoffs. In a best of seven series between the Boston Redsox and NY Yankees, the Yanks had gone up 3-0 in the series before Boston came storming back with three wins in a row to tie the series 3-3.

[b]Never[/b] in the history of baseball has a team, down 3 games to none come back to win a series. Tonight is game 7. The Redsox have been plagued with what is called 'The curse of the Bambino' after trading away Babe Ruth so many years ago, lot more history could be told.

What was really notable last night was Curt Shilling, pitcher for the Redsox. Playing despite a torn up ankle (literally, they stitched it together) he pitched incredibly well.

But after the game he made some comments that took me by surprise, more in his demeanor than some of the acknowledgments I have heard come from pro athletes in the past;

[i]“I don't know that pain was the thing,” he said. "Seven years ago I became a Christian, and tonight God did something amazing for me," Schilling said. " I tried to be as tough as I could and do it my way (in) Game 1, and I think we all saw how that turned out. I knew that I wasn't going to be able to do this alone.

"And I prayed as hard as I could. I didn't pray to get a win or to make great pitches. I just prayed for the strength to go out there tonight and compete, and He gave me that. I can't explain to you what a feeling it was to be out there and to feel what I felt. I've never in my life been touched by God as I was tonight."[/i]

Was wondering why he had his head down in the dugout a couple of innings later, after having pitched so well...

He also made similar comments later on in another interview I saw. What was great was the look of peaceful amazement on his face. This brother is an old veteran in baseball terms, and his acknowledgments where genuine, heartfelt. So refreshing from some of the giving 'props' and other glib kind of statements I have heard in the past.

The Schillings also have a foundation setup for ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease):
[url=http://www.shadefoundation.org/bb_weekly.php]http://www.shadefoundation.org/bb_weekly.php[/url]

Go Redsox!

2004/10/20 10:16Profile
mloaks

So. MD, USA

Re: Take Me Out To The Ballgame

If the game was still going on when you noticed him, and he'd been releived, his head might have been down because starters cannot bear to watch releivers blow a lead! :-P

If the Sox win tonight, you'll hear the roar there on the left coast!

Correct, a refreshing and sweet set of props for our Lord.

Go Astros...

2004/10/20 10:37Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

I hope nobody misses their private time with God because of the game...

Go cubs!

2004/10/20 10:43Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Quote:
If the game was still going on when you noticed him, and he'd been releived, his head might have been down because starters cannot bear to watch releivers blow a lead!

So true and even more reason to pray! :-P

Rooting for the Astro's as well :-)

2004/10/20 22:13Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Quote:
Go cubs!

Maybe Michael j. Fox's prohecy will come true, didn't they win it in like 2027 in "Back To The Future"? :-)

2004/10/20 22:15Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
I hope nobody misses their private time with God because of the game...

Yea very true that makes a good point that watching a baseball game is not bad or evil in of itself but replacing it for time with God is. I hope the Redsox win because I usually go for the underdog.

2004/10/20 22:16Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

History!

They did the 'impossible', winning game 7.

Way to go Redsox. Not that this is all that important in the grand scheme of things, but it sure was fun!

Now on to the World Series...
I know this is likely boring most of you, so back to your regular scheduled programming...

2004/10/21 1:08Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

Way to go Redsox.

Yaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!!!!!

I think this might have been a God thing, because as I was watching the recap of it all on Sportscenter this morning, the Lord showed me that I should preach today at UNCC on The Greatest Victory of All Time and make mention of the BoSox v Yankees Series.

2004/10/21 6:56Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Do I understand that baseball is some kind of a game? I think it may have some similarities with cricket, indeed I once explained cricket to an American friend by describing it as 'baseball on valium'.

I don't think this verse specifically has either team in view, but it came to mind...

Now we exhort you, brethren, warn them that are unruly, comfort the feebleminded, support the weak, be patient toward all men. (1Th 5:14 KJV)

2004/10/21 7:08Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

King James,

Great idea! See where you could some real mileage out of this, especially the 'impossibility' factor...Talk about your 'come from behind victories'!

Ron, try as I might having a hard time fitting that verse into all this, maybe it's to obvious or maybe it related to the 'patience' factor..It did take almost a hundred years for this 'nobody has ever come back from an 0-3 to win 4 in a row' "record" to fall...

By the way, the bat size is quite different in the two games and why is your's named after a bug? :-)

2004/10/21 7:39Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy