SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : DELIVERANCE.....CAN YOU DO IT YOURSELF?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
carly49

Ontario

DELIVERANCE.....CAN YOU DO IT YOURSELF?

I believe that everyone has demons at some time in their life. Demons, according to the study I have done, have to be "cast" out and cannot be prayed out. Jesus "cast" out demons. The people that had them didn't.

Some people believe that you can cast out your own demons and others say you cant! you need to have it done by someone else.

I have been struggling with a "demon of anger".... it's alot more and worse than just being angry at someone or something. I have told it to go in the Name of Jesus, but it is not gone yet.

What do you say?

Carly
:-o

2004/10/18 19:37Profile
jeremyhulsey

Re: DELIVERANCE.....CAN YOU DO IT YOURSELF?

Well, both of your conclusions are incorrect. You cannot deliver yourself and someone else cannot either. But Jesus can. "He who the Son sets free will be free indeed."

The Apostle Paul lists sinfull anger as a fruit of the flesh, not a manifestation of a demon. Now if your manifesting demons, I would also pray for your salvation because Christians cannot be possessed. Yes I know there are so called "deliverance ministries" out there. But usually the only thing they deliver is your money from your wallet.

Here are some good sermons to listen to that might help you out:

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=4464]Power Over Sin[/url]
[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=1559]Passin Under The Rod[/url]

In Christ,
Jeremy Hulsey

2004/10/18 20:11Profile
todd

California

Re:

"And having summoned HIs twelve disciples, He gave [b]them[/b] authority over unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal every kind of sickness."
-Matthew 10:1

"And it happened as we were going to the place of prayer, a certain slave-girl having a spirit of divination met us, who was bringing her masters much profit by fortunetelling... Paul was greatly annoyed and turned and said to the spirit, 'I command you in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her!' And it came out that very moment."
-Acts 16:16,18

After Jesus casts out a demon from a boy a discussion between Jesus and His disciples ensues...
"Then the disciples came to Jesus privately and said, 'Why could we not cast it out?' And He said to them, 'Because of the littleness of your faith...But this kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting."
-Matthew 17:19-21

Jesus didn't say "You can't cast them out because only I can do that." The disciples were so confused because Jesus had already given them authority to cast out devils, and that is what they had been doing, but this time it didn't work. Their question was legitimate in Jesus' eyes, and He gave them a straight answer. Their faith was too little, and perhaps they lacked the prayer and fasting required to cast this particular devil out.

The main point, however, is that God clearly gives authority to men to cast out demons. They do it by the power of God, in the name of Jesus. There's a partnership here. It seems clear that we don't need to ask Him to do something if He has given us authority to do it.

This reminds me of Moses and parting the Red Sea.
"Then the Lord said to Moses, 'Why are you crying out to Me? Tell the sons of Israel to go forward. And as for [i]you[/i], lift up [i]your[/i] staff and stretch out [i]your[/i] hand over the sea and divide it, and the sons of Israel shall go through the midst of the sea on dry land."
-Exodus 14:16

Clearly in the above verse God was expecting Moses to exercise authority which he had in order to part the sea. God's like "Why are you asking Me to do something I've given you authority to do. Do it yourself."

But then in verse 21 of the same chapter it says, "and [b]the LORD[/b] swept the sea back..."

So who parted the sea? God or Moses? The answer, of course, is both. It was a partnership.

And while it seems true that a Christian cannot be "possessed", a Christian may be "oppressed." And yes, I believe there are demons of anger and rage. And yes, I believe that Christians have authority over them to cast them out by the power of God.

I don't doubt that anger can also be a sinful fruit of the flesh. But it could also be demonic.

So, Carly, I think the best thing you can do is continue to cry out to God for deliverance from whatever it is that is keeping you down. Jesus may do it Himself or perhaps someone who exercises the authority given to them will do it.

Let me recommend Derek Prince's Cd's on deliverance. You can find them on his website.

2004/10/18 21:48Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

Quote:
The Apostle Paul lists sinfull anger as a fruit of the flesh, not a manifestation of a demon.

Here is the exact reference;

[i]Now the works of the flesh are obvious, which are: adultery, sexual immorality, uncleanness, lustfulness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, strife, jealousies, [b]outbursts of anger[/b], rivalries, divisions, heresies, envyings, murders, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these; of which I forewarn you, even as I also forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the Kingdom of God.[/i]
(Galatians 5:19-21 WEB)

Outburst of anger, among the many other things listed in these verses, are works of the flesh. The flesh cannot be cast out can it?

I don't doubt for a moment that the demonic world is very real and active but there is a real danger when we look at everything as demonic attacks or demonic posession. The danger comes when we blame things on demons instead of accepting the resposibility ourselves. If we are disobedient and sinful the resposibility is to look at our own lives, the verses above tell us the real issue is with sins of the flesh. This doesn't call for casting out of demons but rather for confession and repentence;

[i]If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and righteous to forgive us the sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we haven't sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.[/i]
(1 John 1:8-10 WEB)

In Christ,

Ron

2004/10/18 21:59Profile
Gideons

Virginia

Re: Praying Through

I suggest listening to a sermon entitled "Praying Through." Here's a link to the sermon https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=5113.

We "pray through" until Christ gives us the victory. I'm still learning about this but to the average Christian in days gone by, it was very common.

There are a lot of Biblical references in the sermon and I suggest you prayerfully listen. There's a book by Norman Grubb on Rhees Howell's life that explains this as well but this sermon explains this quite well.

Only Christ can deliver us from sin and only He can give us victory over sin but the victory is His promise to you not when you die but during this life. Peace be unto you.

2004/10/18 22:01Profile
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re: DELIVERANCE.....CAN YOU DO IT YOURSELF?

Quote:

carly49 wrote:
I have told it to go in the Name of Jesus, but it is not gone yet.
What do you say?

I think first of all get yourself a strong theology of the supremacey of Christ. Just to wet your appetite: Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, [b]set your hearts on things above,[/b] where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. 2[b]Set your minds on things above,[/b] not on earthly things. 3For you died, and [b]your life[/b] is now hidden with Christ in God. Col 3:1-3

Question: How big/small is your God, to you?

It would also be helpful to go through the NT and see what was the teaching of the early church in relation to demonic activity. I must be honest, I am battling to find any solid bible on this topic.

Here is a reference:
Now for some time a man named Simon had practiced sorcery in the city and amazed all the people of Samaria(Acts 8:9)... Simon himself believed and was baptized(Acts 8:13)...You have no part or share in this ministry, because [b]your heart is not right before God[/b][i][color=0000FF](This is after he is classified as a believer)[/color][/i].
22Repent of this wickedness and pray to the Lord. Perhaps he will forgive you for having such a thought in your heart. 23[b]For I see that you are full of bitterness and captive to sin."[/b][i][color=0000FF](These seem to be issues that he hadn't dealt with in his life, but to say that it is the result of demonic activity is speculative.)[/i][/color]
24Then Simon answered, "Pray to the Lord for me so that nothing you have said may happen to me."
Italics mine.

To answer your question directly: No, because no deliverance should be needed.
For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, 14in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins. Col 1:13,14
It is past tense 'he has'.:-D

I think in many instances we are in a truth war, who will we believe?

Some more truth: But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, [b]purifies us from all sin[/b]... 9If we [b]confess our sins,[/b] he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and [b]purify us[/b] from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:7-9
In the light has used the same scripture reference.

Stay strong

2004/10/18 22:33Profile
jeremyhulsey

Re:

Quote:
Let me recommend Derek Prince's Cd's on deliverance. You can find them on his website.

Carly,

You can follow Todd's advice if you like and pay for something or, better than that, you can download a wealth of faith building sermons completely free off of this site in the download section :-) .

2004/10/19 0:08Profile
dohzman

Re:

Brother ----that was very good counsil and very sound doctrine and very short and simple---I like it---God Bless

2004/10/19 1:10Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Perhaps what might be helpful is if we all can pray for our sister.

[i]'A gentle answer turns away wrath'[/i]

2004/10/19 1:25Profile
jeremyhulsey

Re:

"Perhaps what might be helpful is if we all can pray for our sister.

'A gentle answer turns away wrath'"

Most certainly. Perhaps I'm coming across in the wrong way. I'm not trying to be mean, that's the last thing I want to do.

My last post was meant to be helpful to Carly but also to throw in a sales-pitch for the sermons offered.

Sorry if my posts are coming across in the wrong way.

2004/10/19 1:35Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy