Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : False teachers

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
RoseM

Hazelton, BC, Canada

False teachers

Can you tell me if there are any verses in scripture that specifically command us to keep away from false teachers? I've recently run across a woman that is most certainly a false teacher. I'm mulling over how to handle my relationship with her. I'm torn between completely separating myself from her or trying to witness to her about the truth as opportunities arise, like I would for unbelievers.

2010/4/28 16:37Profile

Re: False teachers.......mark and reject.

Here's one about false teachers....

Galatians 1:6-10

6. I marvel that you are turning away so soon from Him who called you in the grace of Christ, to a different gospel,

7. which is not another; but there are some who trouble you and want to pervert the gospel of Christ.

8. But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed.

9. As we have said before, so now I say again, if anyone preaches any other gospel to you than what you have received, let him be accursed.

10. For do I now persuade men, or God? Or do I seek to please men? For if I still pleased men, I would not be a bondservant of Christ."

Acts 20:27-31

27. "For I have not hesitated to proclaim to you the whole will of God.

28. Keep watch over yourselves and all the flock of which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers.[a] Be shepherds of the church of God, which he bought with his own blood.

29.I know that after I leave, savage wolves will come in among you and will not spare the flock.

30. Even from your own number men will arise and distort the truth in order to draw away disciples after them.

[ FALSE TEACHERS ]]

31. So be on your guard! Remember that for three years I never stopped warning each of you night and day with tears. "

and beware of them.....

2 Corinthians 11:12-15
12But what I do, that I will do, that I may cut off occasion from them which desire occasion; that wherein they glory, they may be found even as we.

13For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.

14And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.

15Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

And do not receive them, bless them, are let them into your house..........................

7. For many deceivers have gone out into the world who do not confess Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist.
2John1:7-9
8. Look to yourselves, that we do not lose those things we worked for, but that we may receive a full reward.

9. Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son.

10. If anyone comes to you and does not bring this doctrine, do not receive him into your house nor greet him;

11 for he who greets him shares in his evil deeds."

Sounds harsh...but that's the Apostolic attitude toward false teachers. Mark and reject.

2010/4/28 17:00

Re: False teachers

Paul said to mark them and AVOID them. Not much clearer than that. When we ignore the AVOID part of that we can unknowingly open ourselves up to being influenced by them.

We think we need to get near them to pursuade them of there error... but you never see Paul do that. Sure, he confronted them, but he did not spend much time with them. He confronted their error and then walked away and had nothing to do with them.

That is our example.

Krispy

2010/4/29 12:49
RoseM

Hazelton, BC, Canada

Re:

Which verses are you thinking of Krispy? I'm willing to do this but I want to base my decision on a clear understanding of scripture.

I will say that I've decided to speak the truth about this woman's church and her prophetess very clear to her. I'm tired of pulling my punches. I'm going to be more bold and speak up about the darkness and the light. I just need to work out whether or not I should visit with her at all after I speak out.

2010/4/29 13:06Profile

Re:

Romans 16:17 Now I beseech you, brethren, MARK them which cause divisions and offences CONTRARY TO THE DOCTRINE which ye have learned; and AVOID them.

Is that clear enough for you? :-)

Some people take a hatchet to this verse and cut "contrary to the doctrine" to make it so that it means anyone who causes divisions or offends anyone. But without the butchery this verse is very plainly speaking about false teachers.

If you stand for truth in a compromised church you WILL cause division and offend people. But the key phrase in this verse is "contrary to the doctrine".

Krispy

2010/4/29 14:29

Re:

"Is that clear enough for you? :-)"

no, it isn't.....what's the "DOCTRINE"?

i'm being serious. try and boil the "DOCTRINE" down to It's simplest form.

you can do the "Roman's Road"...yeh.

What about the Jerusalem council edict in Acts, that was sent out to Gentile converts to Messiah, The Way.

orrr......what about the First New Covenant Sermon ever preached, the Sermon on the Mount? Pretty high bar set by Jesus there, wouldnt you say? That "DOCTRINE"?

i'm not baiting you, it's the word "DOCTRINE" i believe that has been misused for centuries......

a lot of people are so intent on pointing out false teachers, that they might miss The Teacher, God the Holy Ghost....maybe?

it is sad a lot of folks try and use God as a spiritual "ATM", or pray to statues, etc. sad.

2010/4/29 15:33

Re:

Boy, you're fired up.

I think it's safe to assume that Paul is not talking about periphrial doctrines. He is talking about the basic tenents of the faith, Neil. Otherwise known as "orthodoxy". He is referring particularly in this case to gnostic doctrines... but also legalism "Judaizers".

Doctrine of salvation, grace, Jesus, etc... the main thing is the main thing.

It's not that hard to figure out, my brother.

Krispy

2010/4/29 15:56
Lysa

East TN (for now)

Re: False teachers

Can you give us a hint as to what she is teaching "falsely?"

This is just me but I move in mercy before I act hastely of "marking them and avoiding them!"

If it is a difference of "doctrine" as in say the Baptist doctrine vs the Charismatic doctrine, then that is merely a difference of opinion because both sides have Scripture to base their beliefs on and both will stand by them to the death. If it's that, then I would just be honest with her and tell her she makes you uncomfortable with all her different teachings and that you aren't interested in learning them. And then watch how she behaves.

Now, this is just me but if there was no difference in denominational doctrine and I thought someone was a false teacher, I would be upfront and honest with her first, explaining where I was coming from and THEN if she started behaving unlovingly toward me and angrily blaming me and in my face, then I would mark her and avoid her!

This is exactly what I did with a woman a couple of years ago and true to form, people usually prove themselves ... what they are when confronted and cornered with Biblical truth or even their own lies!

God bless you in the adventure ahead!!

2010/4/29 17:40Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Krispy is right about Paul and what he is confronting in this scripture. Paul confronted Judaizers, gnostics, and such many times if you read through all of his epistles and pay attention. The primary false doctrines he confronted were the legalistic doctrines of those who wanted to mix righteousness by keeping the law with that of grace and faith and entangle people in bondage to the law once again (Gal. 5).

That said, I think I see were Neil is coming from. I have noticed a tendency in the body to label any "doctrine" that is not "my doctrine" as a false teaching, and the person teaching it as a false teacher. For example, I believe strongly that the gifts of the Holy Spirit as outlined in 1 Corinthians are active in the church today, and have occasionally seen the Holy Spirit use me in one or more of these gifts. There are others who would immediately label me a false teacher if I was to teach this as it does not agree with their own interpretation of things. I think this is what Neil is concerned about. Am I right?

That being said, I would carefully and prayerfully compare what is being taught to the Word of God. If there are obvious and blatant teachings that violate the basic doctrines set forth by Christ and by the writers of the epistles, I would probably have a conversation with the teacher and bring these things up. If the person would not heed sound doctrine, I would not sit under the teacher. I would find another teacher to sit under.

Travis

2010/4/29 17:41Profile

Re: Steve

i aint fired up at all Krisp......no. "basic tenets"...YES!!

those early gnostics must have been something to deal with.

you know Steve, i love all of Romans, but you know what my favorite chapter is?.....Sixteen. to me, Romans 16 show's us a glimpse of these earlier followers, and what a diverse bunch, Rome was the center of the world at that time, then Paul gives even more warnings, and one realizes these were REAL people working out Something earth-shaking, which is God with us---Immanuel. the Ressurected Messiah....before The Way (early Christianity) came east, these folk in that neck of the woods, they were all pagan.

then comes along Messianic Yahwistic Monotheism-----shakes the whole pagan world up. God is Good! He was NOT going to let the Gentiles remain with only paganism, so he sent His Only Son Jesus , as a Light to the Gentiles. Oh, the mercy of God.

i aint fussing with you, i know how you feel about the 'name and claim it" crowd, or the "prosperity" crowd, i feel the same, so Stevie, my doctrine is simple, I believe God, Jesus is Lord.

keep your powder dry, eight and high, God bless you, neil

2010/4/29 18:38

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy