Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Holy War

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
mguldner

Kansas

The Holy War

Just curious if anyone has ever read the Holy War by John Bunyan know where I might find me an affordable copy? I have read a free version of it online but would like the actual book for my library. If you haven't read it you definitely should pick up a copy, I would rank it just slightly lower than The Pilgrim's Progress!

God Bless,
Matthew

2010/4/16 0:12Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

Re: The Holy War

I read it many years ago and can't remember much, but I see a lot of inexpensive copies on ebay.

2010/4/16 0:58Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

Thanks I will do some looking! I am currently rereading Pilgrim's Progress and looking up the scriptures used, it's quite awesome to read the Full Gospel in such a colorful and hopeful story!

2010/4/16 1:14Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Yes, the PILGRIM'S PROGRESS is one of my favorites. I was "forced" to read this in two separate public high schools shortly after I met the Lord. I remember weeping as I read through it. I also have copies of HOLY WAR and GRACE ABOUNDING TO THE CHIEF OF SINNERS from John Bunyan.

I noticed tonight that Amazon.com has HOLY WAR for as little as $12.99 (paperback) and $14.03 (hardcover).

2010/4/16 1:32Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

Thanks Chris I think the cheapest I have found is 6.50 for a paperback on ebay but I prefer Amazon because I trust it more for some reason. John Bunyan definitely knew his bible that's for sure, I love the fact that they placed the scripture referances in the book for people to look up. It makes not only the book itself take on more life but the Bible take more meaning in my heart as I understand it more.

2010/4/16 1:40Profile
Limey153

Berkshire, England

I think the Holy War is excellent! Maybe because Pilgrims Progress is so exceptional it maybe gets overlooked somewhat but I would most definately reccommend it. There is also now available a version of the Holy War in modern english should that be an isssue for you. Definately read it though.

2010/4/16 5:28Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

I don't know if you have every read a biography of John Bunyan, but he was the meanest, cussingest man on the planet and his wife prayed him into the kingdom, and we still love him.

Whenever I get discouraged over my own cussing husband I remember John Bunyan and his wife. God is able.

Pray for my husband. He had one heart attack already and he still rages over stuff, not at me, but at things. He got saved in 1976 but backslid about a year later. I know he has a calling on his life, God showed it to me clearly. I don't say anything to him about it, just pray for him. He is just about to turn 60 now and it must not be far off.

I love pilgrims progress. I used to read "Little Pilgrims Progress" to my children when they were small.

Blessings to you

2010/4/16 9:50Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

You may also be interested in reading "Pilgrim's Progress" Part 2. This story is a continuation of the first but the central characters are Christian's wife Christiana and their children as they journey to the Celestial city.

I got my copy from Amazon. Mine is 'an unabridged retelling of John Bunyan's immortal classic' done by Jim Pappas Jr. Some folks find serious fault with this version but I still love it. This version is written particularly for children. In any case, the basic story is worth your time to read.

ginnyrose

2010/4/16 20:19Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

Awesome, My dad actually found one that is both part 1 and 2 in modern english that actually has a study guide with it for small group use or personal study, its quite fancy. It even came with a CD of someone reading the book which isn't that great since the guy sounds like a robot and doesn't do the book justice. I don't know where He got his but it was all for 15.00 I think? I will see and ask him but I am still in search of the Holy War, totally rocked my socks off, definitely my favorite part is when the town is called to crucify the bad people in the town and couldn't do it without the help of the Holy Spirit (can't remember His name in the book but he represented the Holy Spirit) I wept at that part because I started to see how powerless I am to beat sin without CHRIST but overjoyed at How willing HE is to help. :)

2010/4/16 23:04Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

My dad's was better than I thought, It is only 11.99

Publishers is Pure Gold Classics and as said earlier its in modern english which some may not necessarily like.

2010/4/16 23:20Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy