Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Lord of the Rings

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
Zionshield

Ohio

Re:

The Lord has told me to stay away from most video games most of the time and at times told me to not drink coffee, eat bacon cheeseburgers or watch football among other things.

In these matters and others I draw upon the words in 1st Cor. 4:3-5

3But to me it is a very small thing that I may be examined by you, or by any human court; in fact, I do not even examine myself.

4For I am conscious of nothing against myself, yet I am not by this acquitted; but the one who examines me is the Lord.

5Therefore do not go on passing judgment before the time, but wait until the Lord comes who will both bring to light the things hidden in the darkness and disclose the motives of men's hearts; and then each man's praise will come to him from God.

I needed to quote all of these verses, but I am not trying to sound harsh, myself. If I am lusting for rich fastfood the Holy Spirit knows I need to stay away from it and lets me know it. If my nerves are freyed and I drink coffee the Lord knows I'm going to be even worse. If I'm looking for the adventure and the mental stimulation that a false reality offers me in a computer game the Lord knows that's dangerous to my soul and puts a very strong conviction on my spirit.

I will not tell any of you to stay away from coffee, bacon cheeseburgers, football and video games...it is your responsibility to respond to the Lord in these matters. I do not have the capacity to govern you the way the very capable Holy Spirit can direct you in matters of bacon cheeseburgers, movies and such.

Col. 2:21"Do not handle, do not taste, do not touch!"

22(which all refer to things destined to perish with use)--in accordance with the commandments and teachings of men?

23These are matters which have, to be sure, the appearance of wisdom in self-made religion and self-abasement and severe treatment of the body, but are of no value against fleshly indulgence.

3:1 Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.
2 Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth.

Rather than making rules for myself. NO COFFEE ALLOWED (which generally stirs up the desires in me (kinda like Romans 7:5 and 6)I try to operate in the "newness of the Spirit" rather than in similar fashion to the "oldness of the letter".

I allow the Holy Spirit to let me know when something is off limits. Most cases when I get a no its because I'm following the lust of the flesh in which case having a list of do's and don'ts can't quell the uprising.

But in setting my mind on the Spirit and eternal things and by presenting my heart to the Lord and saying, okay Lord I choose you, those lusts go away and though I don't get my bacon cheeseburger today He may let me have one next week. We live in a higher arena as children of God. The 1st half of Romans 8 would be good here.

I love the Lord of the Rings, its done marvelous things for me. It is enough for me to know the Lord lets me watch it. It is to Him that I stand or fall.

2010/2/7 12:48Profile
Giggles

Re:

Great post Zionshield. That Corinthians passage is definitely one for me to meditate on. Thanks!

2010/2/7 22:49Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy