SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : A Response to Contacting of Ministers before Criticizing their Teachings by Paul West

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
DBen

Western NY, USA

Re:

Quote:
God told me was to warn others not to follow them, and "not to do as they do"

sscott - I believe what you were sharing in Scripture is what Paul West was saying in the copied post that was submitted. What he stated in the quoted section would most likely come with a name and the admonition not to follow their ways.

Hope that helps to clarify the thoughts a bit.

The writing is a blessing and gives some great points for all of consider. Thanks for sharing.

2010/1/27 22:40Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Hhhmmm, do these principles also apply to Obama and his buddies?

Yesterday I was traveling in Alabama alone and listened to Rush Limbaugh; then today I listened to American Family Radio and they echoed Limbaugh's show from the day before. I got disgusted and played a CD instead....so much more edifying and peaceful - no strife, no debate...

SIGH.

ginnyrose

2010/1/27 22:42Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: A Response to Contacting of Ministers before Criticizing their Teachings by Paul

One thing I have learned over the years is, as the apostle Peter said, we've been called to be a people who proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called us out of darkness into His marvelous light. When we make this our consuming passion, there is little room for anything else. Oh, in proclaiming Him, we may very well address false doctrines. But such is secondary to our primary work, to proclaim Him. It's a certain irony that most "discernment" ministries and ministers are guilty of missing it in regard to these things. When we make it our focus to proclaim Him, the truth becomes evident, and error is exposed. Much like when Isaiah saw the Lord high and lifted up, he naturally saw the error of his ways, and the ways of his people.

2010/1/27 22:53Profile
Giggles

Re:

Good word KingJimmy, I beleive it was Spurgeon who said, "You can lie a straight stick next to a crooked one and the difference will be apparent and sufficient."

2010/1/27 22:56Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Amen. Spurgeon had such a way with words :-)

2010/1/28 0:29Profile

Re:

I see both sides here. Deception is a terrible thing, it caused the fall and will cause many more to fall. I'm not a heresy hunter but if anyone speaks out against false signs and wonders they get that label from that side. Heresy hunters have a spirit of pride in my observations, it has a tone of: 'I'm right, you're wrong, now repent and agree'. They search and look for confrontation. It's not a loving warning to the sheep, it's a condemnation of the deceiver. And I would also like to say that sometimes heresy hunts us, the Church, by creating movements of sweeping deception that screams at the door of the church 'we have them now'. I wasn't looking for Lakeland, it became a global phenomenon and knocked loudly at our door. Not all people are supposed to be a watchman who discerns the spirits just like not all people are supposed to preach or speak in tongues. It's when we define our own role that we get into trouble.

Sometimes giving a loving warning can seem very harsh on the false teacher but I believe that sometimes you have to scream loudly to drown out the sound of the train of deception that is about to run over some people. I don't want to be that way and I know that I can always do better. But I pray much more than I speak on these things because God has shown me firsthand at what it is doing to His church. I would rather boldly pray than boldly speak because one can speak out of frustration, and I have to my shame. That's not God's fault, it's all mine. But I know that God wells something up within me that I know has to be done or said. I know this because I complain about it and would rather just pray. We hear testimonies of people who were once bound to these deceivers and what they went through to get out of it. I pray their testimony is used mightily to save more. I don't care how it gets done or who's doing it as long as the sincerity and love for the sheep outweighs any malice, anger, or condemnation for the deceivers. God said to leave room for His vengeance and so it is. Now I have gotten angry with some who are angry and apologetic for these movements, and I'm aware of it and I always ask God to help me do better next time. We live in dire times and scripture admonishes us to keep watch, pray, and follow Christ's leading in these area's.

2010/1/28 8:13
Giggles

Re:

Brother West's post hardly needs explanation as it speaks for itself. He did not put any law down for all believers to adhere to. He did not ban 'rebuking' or 'discernment.' He merely presented the Bible's heart on the issue and how an individual's heart should be postured before engaging in these matters.

2010/1/28 14:22Profile
myfirstLove

Re: A Response to Contacting of Ministers before Criticizing their Teachings by Paul

I appreciate Paul sharing his testimony. We all can learn from each other's testimony. Now, not all go through the same things because not all have the same problems. I myself understand what Paul West shares because I have gone through it myself. I use to have a lot of zeal, but lack knowledge in many areas! And, I'm sure many of you can relate to that, especially with doctrines. But, now I've learned there is a godly balance. Instead of leaning from one extreme to the other, the Lord has taught me much about being led in the Spirit. There is a time for everything, to rebuke, proclaim God's excellency, exhort, encourage, expose, be quiet.....But, we all must be led by the Spirit to know when... As Jesus say, I only do what I see the Father do.

It sounds like Paul was speaking about focusing too much on exposing, and little on giving the life of Jesus. That is a problem that many Christians have! Many can easily spew out doctrines, exposing, debate....But, not many can show the life of Jesus because not many will take true discipleship seriously and deny themselves and carry their cross. And, I say, if you don't take true discipleship seriously, you have no right to expose or correct!

God Bless, Lisa

2010/1/28 20:26Profile

Quote:
Leave Them Alone

I remember this admonition given by the Lord years ago and I had briefly forgotten it when I too was not in fellowship with Him. And yes, I had no peace, so I was becoming discontent with myself and began to defend the word by taking up a sword to defend Jesus. Just like the Apostles did in the garden of Gethsemane. Brother Paul West brings out a very important issue that I am glad I read. It just reinforced what I have already believed, but also gave the assurance that this is the better way of living this Christian life before God by.........leaving them alone.

I do have some questions though and I feel it is important.

On SI, how do we know that a rebuke is from God or from our own vengeful flesh? What if it really is from God and it's perceived as wrong by posters and moderators? What if it is spoken in love but perceived as unloving?

ugh!!

2010/1/29 10:05
Goldminer

Alabama

Re:

It seems to me that exposing the error and not the person is the answer here. I can tell you that hitting someone on the head to try to knock the down to make it look like the Holy Spirit did it is wrong without telling you who did the hitting. Having said that, when the folks who read this post go to a service and see someone doing the push, they will remember that someone said to question this practice.

I do believe there is a time for rebuke and correction, but following biblical guidelines is the way. Not when I haven't even spoke to the person myself and given them an opportunity to defend themselves, or am just passing along what I heard, and name calling just seems to lack love to me. Yes there are false prophets, but we need to be very careful who we call one because we just may have to answer for it later if we call it wrong or in the wrong spirit.

2010/1/29 10:31Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy