SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Do we know if 'The Prodigal Son' was saved before he got lost?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Silo

Do we know if 'The Prodigal Son' was saved before he got lost?

Luke 15 talks about the Lost Sheep, The Lost Coin, & The Lost Son.

Can we know from this if The Prodigal Son was ever saved to begin with? Can we know from this story if the brother was saved?

What exactly is Jesus trying to tell us in The Prodigal Son?

2010/1/21 11:32Profile
MityDisciple

Moncton, New-Brunswick Canada

Re: Do we know if 'The Prodigal Son' was saved before he got lost?

This is a great question that we've been wondering myself. I've got different points of view on this one from people. I myself would think he was.

I think this may lead to Revelation 3:5

2010/1/21 11:55Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Interesting question, but I think it's irrelevant to this parable. Interesting enoughly, the parable of the prodigal son isn't really about the prodigal son. Though often cast that way, it's really a story about the older brother, designed to prick the heart of those who have a Pharisaical mindset, and anybody who has a works based mentality in their approach towards God. The older brother was upset over the return of the prodigal son, and the manner in which his father lavished his undeserving son with his best gifts. His father demonstrated unmerited favor to the younger brother, which did not sit well with the older brother with his hardened heart.

Whatever the original condition of the prodigal, it doesn't matter. He was lost, now he is found. He was undeserving, but his father chose to bless him anyway... in spite of how his older brother felt about it. The older brother wanted the younger to get what was coming to him. But the father chose to treat him in a way he didn't deserve.

*edit*

2010/1/21 12:00Profile
Giggles

If you're a Calvinist---yes. If Arminian---probably not.

It's funny KJ, I actually heard it taught the story was about the father. As the preceeding 2 parables are about the people who lost things, so this one is about the father losing his son, and he truly is the prodigal i.e. lavish one talked about in the parable. John McArthur has a good sermon on it, I'll try to find the link later.

2010/1/21 13:10Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Hi Silo...

Well, the prodigal son lived in the house with his father and received an inheritance. In addition, consider the final two verses (Luke 15:31-32) of the parable:

31 And he said unto him, Son, thou art ever with me, and all that I have is thine.

32 It was meet that we should make merry, and be glad: [b]for this thy brother was [u]dead[/u], and is [u]alive again[/u]; and was [u]lost[/u], and is [u]found[/u].[/b]

While I agree with KingJimmy that the parable also concentrates on the son who did NOT stray away, I think that it is also interesting in that it speaks about the son who is "alive AGAIN."

2010/1/21 13:30Profile

Tim Keller has a tremendous book about the parable of the lost son.

It's called the Prodigal God. You can go to the website and actually hear the messages that the book is about.

All I can say is....it is awesome!

[url=www.theprodigalgod.com]www.theprodigalgod.com[/url]

2010/1/21 13:41
MityDisciple

Moncton, New-Brunswick Canada

Re:

This also makes me think of Judas Iscariot. That even if we walk with him (saved) that if we turn are backs on him we lose are inheritance. Unless we repent.

2010/1/21 14:03Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

It's funny KJ, I actually heard it taught the story was about the father

Notice the context in which these series of parables are set up in: Luke 15:1-3:

Now all the tax collectors and the sinners were coming near Him to listen to Him. Both the Pharisees and the scribes {began} to grumble, saying, "This man receives sinners and eats with them." So He told them this parable, saying, ....

All three parables are ultimately a slam against the Pharisees, who don't see things as the Father does.

2010/1/21 14:23Profile
Giggles

Re:

Quote:
All three parables are ultimately a slam against the Pharisees, who don't see things as the Father does.

Exactly. I think the spin could be then exalting how God does see things. He does rejoice over the lost sheep, the lost coin, and the lost son. We see in verses 7 and 10 the point of these teachings, God rejoices over the sinner repenting not rejoicing over the dead legalism of the Pharisees. I totally agree that these parables slam the Pharisees only in that they glorify the true nature of God. For me, it's not "either/or" but "both/and." The Pharisees are slammed by God being revealed. I think it's cool to keep things God-centered and have teaching fan out from that. So for me I think put Jesus' revelation of God primary and then as an inescapable secondary the Pharisees being put in their place.

That sermon by Macarthur I referenced earlier is actually on sermonaudio.com. It's title is "A Tale of Two Sons: With A Never Heard Before Surprise Ending to the Parable of the Prodigal Son." It's a good teaching, some of Macarthur's mannerisms I didn't care for, but all in all, a good message.

2010/1/21 14:42Profile
Silo

Re:

Quote:
This also makes me think of Judas Iscariot. That even if we walk with him (saved) that if we turn are backs on him we lose are inheritance. Unless we repent.

Probably not, but are you saying Judas Iscariot was like the Prodigal Son? He just walked away? I don't think he was ever saved. The Prodigal could have been.

But I know what your saying...you can walk with Jesus for years and still betray him.

2010/1/21 14:57Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy