SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : What is "Permissible will"?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Quote:
I would say that if this Christian is willfully in rebellion to God then there is the real possibility that they are not truly saved

Jonah willfully rebelled but God dealt with him severely. "To whom the LORD loveth He chasteneth and scourgeth every son whom He receiveth". The chastening and the scourging are for the rebellious. There will be at times where you'll go one way and God is pulling you in another and eventually you will go Gods way.

2009/12/17 19:17

Re:

Quote:
It has still not been shown to me where God speaks to us in inaudible "voices" in our thoughts.

God will speak to your spirit which carries the message to your mind. Sometimes God will speak audibly with us, but those times are less frequent than speaking to our spirit.

No your not going to find what I have just said in the bible. You won't find a MacDonald's Big Mac in the bible but we know it's real because we have seen it and tasted it. So it is with hearing the voice of God. We don't see Him, we don't hear Him audibly speaking to us, but we hear Him in our spirit.

2009/12/17 19:25
MaryJane

Re:

Greetings Deepthinker

I said there was the "possibility" that the person was not saved not that they were not saved. There is a difference, and we are told to examine our hearts daily so that we will not be deceived. I kind of feel like you took what I wrote out of context, not sure why you would do that??? I also wrote that I did not believe that the person choosing girl a over b was a salvation issue but that if he has an attitude of heart where he willfully is in rebellion to God then there "possibly" could be an issue there? Did you read the rest of what I wrote in that post?
_____
One who is truly living for Jesus will bare fruit to such, they will still struggle with sin, but when convicted of the sin, they are broken and repent before God. At least this has been my understanding of this kind of thing.

God Bless
mj

2009/12/17 19:41Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

MaryJane, I just want to let you know I understand your point of view and it is mine as well.

I would suggest to those who will disagree with this point that the Holy Spirit does lead and direct us in everyday affairs to ask the LORD to help you be sensitive to his Spirit when He speaks. Now, if you are so accustomed to doing things your own way, you likely may not hear his leading in your spirit because it is not in tune with God.

And how does this leading sound like, look like? To begin with you need to spend time in the WORD and in prayer before you start your day. Then in your communion you ask him to direct your affairs and to help you be sensitive to his spirit as He leads you. During the day you will sometimes get the sense that you should do this or say that but your sense of logic will rise up and argue with this 'sense'. If you listen to logic, you will quickly discover you should have followed this 'sense' instead - you would have saved yourself a lot of grief.

As I read the OT and see how God spoke to the prophets and how they obeyed and were great because of it, I wonder what is keeping [i]me[/i] from having that kind of relationship? There is nothing except ME. I stand in the way for this to be a reality on my own life. Since this is the case it is in my best interests to take the yoke of Jesus upon me and allow Him to lead and not buck when he wants to turn one way and I [think] I want to go another. To do so invites disaster and grief. Jesus died, and cleansed me and now I [i]want[/i] to stay close by him. Simple as that.

If your knowledge of God, his will for life is limited to the academic, you will in no way understand a word I said...

DeepThinker said it well when he said this:

God will speak to your spirit which carries the message to your mind. Sometimes God will speak audibly with us, but those times are less frequent than speaking to our spirit.

No your not going to find what I have just said in the bible. You won't find a MacDonald's Big Mac in the bible but we know it's real because we have seen it and tasted it. So it is with hearing the voice of God. We don't see Him, we don't hear Him audibly speaking to us, but we hear Him in our spirit.

Blessings,
ginnyrose

2009/12/17 20:32Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re:

twayneb,

Thanks for your insight, brother. I would not hesitate to say that the Holy Spirit guides and directs our will. I believe Paul teaches this in his letter to the Philippians: "for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure" (Phil 2:13). I had a friend in college who said he was apprehensive to say "the Lord told me to say/do this", but after the fact, he could comfortably evaluate the situation and say "that was of the Lord". I think there is a difference. The first basically declares ourselves a Protestant Pope, and the second recognizes God working in our everyday affairs.

I guess I just don't see the Lord and the Apostles making listening for these inaudible voices as big a deal as it is often made. Jesus speaks of His sheep "hearing His voice", but I believe, in context, He is referring to "hearing/accepting" the preaching of the Gospel. His Sheep hear the gospel and respond. They hear His voice through the preaching of the Word.

John says that we know we love Christ if we keep his commandments. By commandments, I don't think he meant things we hear in our mind, but rather the clear, objective word of God. This is not to deny a vibrant, spiritual internal life. I believe all Christians should have an intimate, warm communion with Christ throughout the day through meditation and prayer. But, I believe Christ speaks back to us in the Scripture, not in our thoughts.

I hope you don't see this as cold or Pharisaical.

Praying for wisdom and light on this matter...

With care in Christ...

2009/12/17 20:52Profile

Re:

Quote:
I kind of feel like you took what I wrote out of context, not sure why you would do that???

Mary Jane I completely apologize. I didn't even read that post that had that quote in it, I took that quote from someone responding to your post. A foolish move on my part, it won't happen again, thank you for pointing that out to me. :-o

I took one line out of that post that sounded the harshest.

Please forgive my mistake. :-(

2009/12/17 21:06
Lysa

This world is not my home anymore.

Re: God or not?

Quote:
Silo wrote:
So what if your a Christian and God tells you to marry GIRL A but you disobey and marry GIRL B. Then the man intentionally marries the wrong woman and disobeyed GOD...on purpose. Let's say 6 months of God telling him No and he still does what He wants.

Brother,

Who told who what about who you should marry? What I mean is, did God supposedly tell you directly or did He supposedly tell the girl and then she told you, “the Lord said we were to get married”? That is what I’m trying to find out from you, because everybody has tried to help you with this for the last month and you are still asking the same questions! Something is not settled in your mind and heart.

More importantly, the Lord himself said, “MY sheep KNOW my voice and none other they will follow.” Now either 1) you know & heard His voice but you are in rebellion to His word or 2) you do not know His voice OR 3) the voice you heard was not His.

If God really spoke to you, Silo, I don’t think you would be STILL wondering if this was God or not and the reason I say this is that God spoke to me a few years ago and told me to quit smoking. It scared me so bad I quit and I loved smoking! I'm not telling you this to brag but to say that I have never had any qualms that that voice wasn’t God.

Answer me (or us) this: Are there other people involved that believe they’ve heard God as well about your situation?

2009/12/17 22:22Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, the will of God is our only aim...the center of the bulls eye...God lets us live under the will of grace untill we are perfected into the perfect will of God.jimp

2009/12/17 23:00Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Taylor,

It is so very true that the Holy Spirit uses the Scriptures to guide and direct a person. He will not violate any of the principles revealed therein.

However, in life many decisions need to be made and which way does one go? Or, how should one proceed? and where to? These questions arise where there is no moral principle involved. Some choices are very benign - do we have soup for supper or should it be hamburgers? Then there are choices made when one goes shopping, e.g. What do I buy? and which? Is God interested in how one spends his money? I believe He is. Usually, when I go shopping I will ask the LORD for guidance in this expedition, especially when shopping for a gift or a major item. When one prays before getting on the road, asking for protection on the highway plus making the shopping trip worthwhile, I always find a real sense of pleasure that God has been with me, directing my choices. God knows that without Him I make poor choices. When I decide that I am going to do what I want regardless what God says or wants, I run into grief. Everytime.

Having said all this, does this mean that when God has directed one in life that there will be no storms? No. But it does mean that the Holy Spirit will be there to calm the storm when it does occur. Consider the incident when Jesus told his disciples that they need to cross Galilee to get to a place on the other side. After they got going a major storm came up and they thought the boat will capsize. And where was Jesus? Sleeping! Was Jesus surprised by the storm? No. Did he know it was going to happen? I would think so. Luke 8:22-25. So is life.

It seems to me one should be very careful about telling people the "Lord told me... and so I did." For the most part this is something between you and the LORD. Pride can enter in and one can become very haughty. Sounds like sin, don't you think?

This is my understanding ...

Blessings,
ginnyrose

2009/12/17 23:53Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Greetings Ginnyrose

You wrote:As I read the OT and see how God spoke to the prophets and how they obeyed and were great because of it, I wonder what is keeping me from having that kind of relationship? There is nothing except ME. I stand in the way for this to be a reality on my own life. Since this is the case it is in my best interests to take the yoke of Jesus upon me and allow Him to lead and not buck when he wants to turn one way and I [think] I want to go another. To do so invites disaster and grief. Jesus died, and cleansed me and now I want to stay close by him. Simple as that.
___

I agree with this completely. You said it so much better then I:-)

God Bless
mj

2009/12/18 0:54Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy