SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Should we observe the feasts as Christians?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

Should we observe the feasts as Christians?

I have been thinking about this lately and wanted to hear what others may think. Let me just say not to observe in order to obtain righteous, justification or salvation. We know that Christ is the atonement and sacrifice. But now that we are crafted into Abraham...should we not observe these traditions? Christians have established there own traditions, which seem to be un-biblical. So why shouldn't we observe them?

There is a verse in Matthew 23:3, "therefore all that they tell you, do and observe, but do not do according to their deeds; for they say things and do not do them."

When Christ says, keep my commands, if you love me you will keep my commands. What commands if we are no longer to keep the law? Not oral law, traditions, but the laws of the OT. But then in Galatians 5:14, "For the whole Law is fulfilled in one word, in the statement, "You Shall love your neighbor as yourself."

So if one feels they should observe the feasts and subject themselves to the law, but still follow Christ as savior by faith through His grace and mercy...is there harm in that? Leaves me with the same question, should we observe the feasts, if Christ and the apostles observed?

2009/11/28 11:10

Re: Should we observe the feasts as Christians?

It has always been a little strange to me, why the Jerusalem apostles appeared to keep portions of the Law, and chose to allow the gentile believers the freedom to abstain.

There is no merit in the keeping of the feasts, for God looks upon the heart, not outward appearances. To me, it is neither good, or bad. If your heart is right, you may indeed glean revelation from a myriad of symbolic events in a particular feast.

"It is neither him who runs, or he who wills, but God who shows mercy."

"So then it does not depend on the man who wills or the man who runs, but on God who has mercy."
Romans 9-16

There is no justification in the keeping of the law. Paul said that those who were justified by the keeping of it, had fallen from grace. This, to me, also shows the negative consequences of keeping feasts, if you believe that doing so enhances your obedience and devotion to the Father.

2009/11/28 11:52
ccchhhrrriiisss

Hi reformer...

I have been thinking about this question lately. I am reminded in what seems to be conflicted instructions about special days and feasts in the New Testament (Galatians 4:10-11 and Romans 14:5-8).

However, we also see that Paul, on at least one occasion, told people to keep at least one feast (...with sincerity - I Corinthians 5:8). In fact, the Passover was the feast with which we associate "communion." This was not a simple meal. This was a feast that was in observance with the Law of Moses. Yet we continue to "observe" the fulfillment of Christ's sacrifice with each communion (or Passover Seder) "as oft as ye drink it" (I Corinthians 11:24-26). In fact, we are instructed by our Lord to "do this in remembrance" of him. So, in a way, we are observing the true principle of the Passover -- that our Lord would leave His throne in Eternity to walk amongst the men that He created and become the sacrificial Lamb that was necessary for the forgiveness of sin.

While these were required observations of feasts from the Law of Moses, we also know that Jesus appeared to have observed the Feast of Dedication (or Hanukkah). This "holiday" was NOT a part of the Law of Moses but dates from Maccabees. There was no apparent fulfillment of this feast in the New Testament (other than the obvious realization that God supernaturally preserves those who are dedicated to him). Yet this is included in John 10:22-23 in which Jesus went to the Temple.

This is an interesting topic! I look forward to hearing from the views of others.

2009/11/28 12:42Profile

Quote:
So if one feels they should observe the feasts and subject themselves to the law, but still follow Christ as savior by faith through His grace and mercy...is there harm in that? Leaves me with the same question, should we observe the feasts, if Christ and the apostles observed?

According to the measure of faith that has been given you, one is able to partake. But if your weak and can't differentiate between law and grace, don't.

Quote:
It has always been a little strange to me, why the Jerusalem apostles appeared to keep portions of the Law, and chose to allow the gentile believers the freedom to abstain.

They appeared to keep portions of it because of Tradition. They went from law to grace literally overnight. And it's something that wasn't easy to let go overnight. They continued to practice without the sacrifice seeing that Christ fulfilled that, but everything else was still going on until they understood that those things they were observing were fulfilled as well. The Holy Ghost being with them was leading them into all truth, so it was a gradual departure of the old and embracing the new.

2009/11/28 12:47

Re:

Quote:
While these were required observations of feasts from the Law of Moses, we also know that Jesus appeared to have observed the Feast of Dedication (or Hanukkah). This "holiday" was NOT a part of the Law of Moses but dates from Maccabees.

Interesting..did not know that.

Chris you brought up good points and I agree with what you are saying. But here is a thought I had concerning Galatians 4:10-11. Could Paul have been talking about pagan gods they worshiped or traditions that became idols? Verse 8 says, "However at that time, when you did not know God, you were slaves to those which by nature are no gods." But then in verse 9, "In the same way we also, when we were children, were enslaved to the elementary principles of the world." Could the world mean the things that are direct contradiction to the law of God? Could it be the traditions or gods, by the "worlds" standards? Things they made up to follow or observe?

Hope that makes sense??

I agree I think this could be a enjoyable topic to discuss.

reformer

2009/11/28 13:46
Leo_Grace

Re:

Quote:

DeepThinker wrote:
Quote:

They appeared to keep portions of it because of Tradition. They went from law to grace literally overnight. And it's something that wasn't easy to let go overnight.

They were already circumcised, so there were some aspects of the law that they could not undo even if it these were no longer required. Maybe this was why some of them insisted that new believers be required to undergo circumcision also --so that they wouldn't feel as if they were left holding the shorter end of the stick, so to speak. :-P :-D 8-)

2009/11/28 13:50Profile
divdasunder

Ohio

Should we observe the feasts as Christians?

The two passages that stick out to me about this question are Hebrews 14:5,6 and Colossians 2:16

Heb 14:5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day [alike]. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
Heb 14:6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth [it] unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard [it]. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

Col 2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath [days]:

Not sure if these clear anything up or not!!

2009/11/28 18:26Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

We live very near a messianic Christian congregation where we occasionally drop in for a visit. They have, interestingly enough, a Jewish (by birth), spirit filled rabbi and a spirit filled pastor who serve side by side as leadership in the body.

Anyway, they still have services beginning close to sundown on Friday evening and call them sabbath services. They use quite a bit if Jewish symbolism, and they celebrate all of the feasts.

They do this, not out of any compulsion to keep the law, but simply because they see the way these feasts point to Christ and want to celebrate Him through the feasts.

Jesus celebrated them, and you can be sure He did not do it in some sort of legalistic way. In fact, He used the passover meal as a way to teach the disciples about Himself, and commanded them to continue the tradition. We still continue this in the form of our communion, but I would imagine the early Jewish believers probably incorporated Christ into passover to fulfill this command (maybe some of you well studied historians can verify that fact or tell me I don't know what I am talking about. Either is fine.)

Soooooo, I would say if you want to celebrate them and you don't do it out of some type of legalistic compulsion, go right ahead and enjoy doing it. They all pointed to Christ in one way or another. (Hanukah on the other hand, as was already stated, has its origins in the Maccabean period. When Jerusalem was under siege and oil for the menorah in the temple could not be obtained, the story goes that God supernaturally multiplied the oil and the lamps did not go out. This was not one of the original feasts described under the law.)

You can check out how they view this at: http://www.houseofdavid.us/Holidays.html

2009/11/29 12:37Profile

Re:

We should observe any feast that involves food. Christians love to eat. :-P

2009/11/29 14:21

Re:

Quote:

DeepThinker wrote:

We should observe any feast that involves food. Christians love to eat. :-P

:-P

2009/11/29 16:25

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.