SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Does the new covenant teach non-resistance and non-participation in government?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
PosterThread
therick2018

Re:

To me this little portion by Charles Leiter on this subject was quite helpful.

http://illbehonest.com/pacifism-and-capital-punishment-charles-leiter?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+illbehonest-global-site-updates+%28I%27ll+Be+Honest+-+Global+Site+Updates%29

2013/2/2 10:29Profile
Matthew2323

Colorado

Re:

Ginnyrose wrote: "And then what happened?"

They fell asleep...

But more to the point after Malchus' ear was severed, ".. Jesus said to Peter, 'Put the sword into the sheath; the cup which the Father has given Me, shall I not drink it?'" (John 18:11)

Notice that Peter was instructed to sheath his sword, not get rid of it entirely. There is a time for war and a time for peace (Eccl 3:8). At this particular moment in time, taking up arms could have distracted from God's plan.

If Jesus had wanted to state empahtically that passive non-resistance was for all men at all times, this would have been a perfect opportunity to say as much. The context for why Peter was to sheath his sword is the key to the interpretation.

Grace and peace,
Matthew

2013/2/2 11:49Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

When Peter went to Cornelius, he did not tell Cornelius to forsake his role as a Roman Centurion. Cornelius, it is said, was a righteous man. This is one example that comes to my mind right away.

2013/2/2 20:22Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy