SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Will You Kill or Be Killed?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

"you would think they were talking about a bill before the house instead of the word of God."

I have had that thought many times in discussions with people who may have forgotten that we were born-again to glorify God, this is our primary purpose on earth, and of course it starts with His Word.........Frank

2009/9/30 19:24
Leo_Grace

Re:

Gal 5:14-26 The entire law is summed up in a single command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” If you keep on biting and devouring each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other.

So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law.

The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

2009/9/30 19:46Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi chapel...

Quote:
It is abundantly clear what Jesus meant but it does not seem to matter what Jesus would do or what he has done; instead it is what is best or easiest for those who trample upon the word.

It is a sad day when the example of Jesus Christ, his disciples and the early church mean nothing to most in this country today. His word is so easily set aside with excuses of how it lacks clarity and how wonderfully fuzzy it is on most issues, you would think they were talking about a bill before the house instead of the word of God.

How strange it is that the very word of God that is pushed aside so carelessly is what Jesus Christ will use as the standard by which he will judge us all.

I hope that you aren't referring to those of us who have prayed about this, studied it, and sought the face of God in regard to this -- and still see it differently that some of you do. It would be quite an arrogant accusation to accuse someone of "trampling upon the Word" when we are walking before God and His Word with a clear conscience. In regard to the idea of non-resistance, many of us have NOT "[i]so easily set aside with excuses[/i]" nor do we think that "[i]the example of Jesus Christ, his disciples and the early church meant nothing[/i]."

In fact, many of us who disagree with some particular arguments of "non-resistance" ideology are just as passionate about the Jesus Christ and the Word of God as those who so easily reject our perspective about these passages and certain aspects of this view.
Quote:
May the Lord help all to see his glorious light.

May the Lord help ALL OF US to see His glorious light with the vision and mind of Christ. I suspect that some of us who think that we have already "seen the light" in certain instances might be surprised when we actually see it in truth.

2009/9/30 19:46Profile

Re:

Quote:

chapel wrote:
Hi Jesus-is-God,

You are welcome, and yes WwJd?

Luke 18:7-8
[7] And shall not God avenge his own elect, which cry day and night unto him, though he bear long with them? [8] I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?

It is abundantly clear what Jesus meant but it does not seem to matter what Jesus would do or what he has done; instead it is what is best or easiest for those who trample upon the word.

It is a sad day when the example of Jesus Christ, his disciples and the early church mean nothing to most in this country today. His word is so easily set aside with excuses of how it lacks clarity and how wonderfully fuzzy it is on most issues, you would think they were talking about a bill before the house instead of the word of God.

How strange it is that the very word of God that is pushed aside so carelessly is what Jesus Christ will use as the standard by which he will judge us all.

May the Lord help all to see his glorious light.

lee

WwJd!

That's all we're left with - how true.

2009/9/30 20:00

Re:

Quote:
It is a sad day when the example of Jesus Christ, his disciples and the early church mean nothing to most in this country today.

We should expect this to be normal with the world. The world does not love Jesus Christ. His peace is not the same as worldly peace and the truth is thrown down because men love darkness rather than light.

It's within the body that we should be most concerned in taking what the Apostles have said lightly. There is a false Christian front called the "Christian Right" and politically speaking is rather frightening, though it has the face of a Christian, it's inner workings are not. The bible tells us to pray for our government, not put him down or tear him apart. It wouldn't surprise me in the least that this Christian political movement will one day persecute the "called out" ones.

2009/9/30 20:33
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Hi again everyone,

ccrider, I think you brought up an important passage here:

"Paul gives a contrast here between the world and the remnant church. One contrast is concerning war... "we do not wage war as the world does"..
What did Paul mean by 'war' as it pertains to the world?? Is it anything other than the obvious?? How about weapons?? Paul says "we fight not with the weapons of the world". What does he mean by 'weapons of the world'? And then in describing us says: 'on the contrary'??"

I think it shows the contrast between how the people of God [b]advance the Kingdom of God[/b] and the ways that the kingdoms of this world are sometimes enlarged or defended.

That said, I think it is also clear that by this, Paul said nothing about how those who are Christians may act within those earthly Kingdoms, when serving them(Php 4:22, Luke 3:14).

It reminds me I think of how it seems another passage of Scripture could be misrepresented if it is not taken in its entirety and within the context.

I'm thinking of when the Lord Jesus said that if His Kingdom were of this world, [b]His followers would fight[/b].

Is that what He said?

No. Not entirely. He said they would fight, [b]so that He would not be delivered to the Jews[/b].

Some of HIs followers most certainly do fight. That is His Angels for sure.

He is also called the Lord of Hosts. THe Lord of Armies.

General of the Universe.

2009/9/30 20:35Profile

Re:

Quote:
I suspect that some of us who think that we have already "seen the light" in certain instances might be surprised when we actually see it in truth.

This is a true saying and worthy of all acceptation. How many of us can say that we have seen the light only to be blindsided by the Truth? I'll be the first to admit it.

2009/9/30 20:38

Re:

I think that this current thread ties in with this one............

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=30764&forum=40

2009/9/30 20:41
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Chris,

"It would be quite an arrogant accusation to accuse someone of "trampling upon the Word" when we are walking before God and His Word with a clear conscience."

Chris, I appreciate this. How serious it is to accuse others like this.

God knows each of our motives.

2009/9/30 20:59Profile

Re: Will You Kill or Be Killed?

Quote:
Is Christianity really a violent religion? And is Islam really a peaceful religion?

In the material world, the world that we see, Christianity is a peaceful movement. In the Spirit it's quite violent.

In the flesh, we wrestle not with flesh and blood, but we wrestle with spiritual wickedness in high places. Our place is not to raise up a hand to any man, but rather give place to wrath, meaning, let those that wish to do you harm, do you harm, for our LORD will take care of those who harm His body.

There are certain ways that we have accepted in the Americas that we as Christians should fight back in the flesh, and this is wrong, this is not Christ at all. Many people have been saved just for the fact that they have harmed a believer. Truth was meant to be badgered, was meant to be trampled on, likewise those who stand for it are treated the same way. We MUST allow these things to come upon us, because we who live godly in this life shall suffer persecution. Just as Christ and all those that stood for His name, all have hazarded their lives for Jesus, so we must become that people that will not raise a hand against our neighbour but with all longsuffering endure hardness as a good soldier.

We also have accepted this idea that God will always protect us. Yes there is protection, but not all the time. Paul was stoned and left for dead. The promise is that He'll never leave us nor forsake us. Paul was left for dead, but God did not forsake him, God revived him and he rested till he was fit to continue the journey. Some of us may be rounded up in a gymnasium and shot on the spot. In death, our protector has secured our release from this physical cage, death where is your sting, O grave where is your victory? So in a sense, God has protected us even at death.

I think we need to understand the gospel a little bit more clearly regarding this subject, because Paul was eager to go up to Jerusalem, even if it meant death. When Jesus was facing His death, He endured the cross because of the joy that was set before Him. There is something about the gospel that they "heard" that convinced them that this was worth dying for. It was as if they wanted to die, to be free from this bondage that held them down. They certainly were not looking for it but when they faced it, instead of crying they were heard praising God. Even the testimony of those that were being burned to death, they glorified God. These people seemed to be looking for a city who's builder and maker is God, they seemed to long to be there instead of here. They saw something that we seem to be missing. I think we really haven't "heard" the gospel like they did.

2009/9/30 21:09

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy