SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Just Believe or Repentance & Faith?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
dougr777

Just Believe or Repentance & Faith?

Does salvation come by just "believing" in the Lord Jesus Christ or do we need "Repentance & Faith"?

Doug

2009/9/2 8:52Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re: Just Believe or Repentance & Faith?

considering Jesus is God, and he died for our sins, and that he is the author and finisher of our faith i am convinced he was dead serious when he said "repent and believe" . There is no salvation if one is left out, true faith includes both.

2009/9/2 9:17Profile
Logic

Quote:
DougRenz wrote:
Does salvation come by just "believing" in the Lord Jesus Christ or do we need "Repentance & Faith"?

Repentance is proof of your Belief. Therefore, if you don't repent, then you realy don't believe.

2009/9/2 9:28Profile
dougr777

Re:

I was reading the REPENTANCE book by Michael Pearl and in the last chapter he wrote that there is no where in God's word written "repent from sin", only "repent from bad works".

He went on to say that "repentance" from sin is Man's work of salvation and those on the other side justify it as "God preparing a mans heart to repent".

This verse:
"Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ." —Acts 20:21

He went on to say that Repentance is not from sin but toward God (which I agree), but don't we need to turn from sin (an act of Repentance) to be saved and not just have faith? Don't the demons also believe and are going to hell?

This article here:

[url=http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Believer%27s%20Corner/Doctrines/repent.htm]Repentance is NOT Forsaking One's Sin[/url]

Here are the last few paragraphs from this article:

Quote:
It is false doctrine to make repenting of one's sins an event in itself to be saved. Again, repentance is not turning from one's sins; Repentance is turning to the Lord Jesus Christ to be saved from one's sins (Romans 4:5). Jack Chick, David Cloud, Ray Comfort, Aiden Tozer, John MacArthur and the Salvation Army all make repentance an isolated act by itself. The Bible stands against them for perverting the simplicity of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. The word "believe" is mentioned 85 times in the Gospel of John; YET the word "repent" is not mentioned even ONCE!!! Clearly, the sinner who believes on Jesus as the Christ to forgive their sins has repented. False prophets today define repentance as merely turning from one's sins. This misunderstanding of repentance has spawned multiple false gospels. Repentance is turning TO THE LORD from the guilt and condemnation of sin, to have those sins washed away by the precious literal blood of Jesus Christ (1st Peter 1:18,19). To believe on the Lord Jesus Christ for forgiveness of one's sins is repentance. To merely turn from sin is nothing more than "turning over a new leaf," which is the false gospel of Perry Stone. True Biblical repentance means turning to Jesus Christ by faith to be forgiven of one's sins. The "turning" is not from the act of sin itself; but rather, TURNING TO THE LORD to be forgiven from the condemnation which sin has brought upon all mankind (Romans 3:19-23; 5:12). Lordship Salvationists have perverted the Gospel. They teach that repentance and faith are two separate steps to salvation, and that faith alone in Christ is insufficient to save anyone unless they've turned from their sinful lifestyle. In sharp contrast, Genesis 15:6 tells us that Abram was justified by faith in the Lord. The Gospel of John mentions the word "believe" 85 times without ever mentioning the word "repent" even once. This is because the person who has believed on the Lord to be forgiven of their sins has repented of their sins. Salvation is turning to Jesus to be forgiven of one's sins; NOT turning from one's sins in order to be forgiven by Jesus.

I always thought that repentance is necessary for salvation... even if "repent from sin" is not in the Bible, can't we believe it is a Biblical Truth?

Doug

2009/9/2 9:50Profile
dougr777

Re:

The other idea I read was that Repentance was written for those who are hypocrites and not the unsaved, and the "just believe" is for the ungodly/unsaved.

Quote:
Romans 4:5 says... "But to him that WORKETH NOT, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is COUNTED for righteousness."

2009/9/2 9:53Profile
Logic

Re:

Quote:
DougRenz wrote:
I was reading the REPENTANCE book by Michael Pearl and in the last chapter he wrote that there is no where in God's word written "repent from sin", only "repent from bad works".

Is he saying that "bad works are not sin?

Quote:
He went on to say that "repentance" from sin is Man's work of salvation

What did the Sctpture mean in Act 3:19, Act 8:22, Act 17:30, Act 26:20, Rev 2:5, Rev 2:16, Rev 2:21, Rev 2:22, Rev 3:3
when
Quote:
This verse:
"Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ." —Acts 20:21

He went on to say that Repentance is not from sin but toward God (which I agree), but don't we need to turn from sin (an act of Repentance) to be saved and not just have faith? Don't the demons also believe and are going to hell?

It is FROM sin AND toward God.

The "from sin" is implied when it says "toward God"
Therefore, he is wrong, it does say that Repentance is from sin also.

2009/9/2 10:13Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

Quote:

This man who is calling others a false teacher, is clearly teaching false doctrine.

Mark 1:15 Jesus said repent AND believe the gospel (two seperate things).

Matthew 9:13 Jesus said He came to call SINNERS to repentance (repent from what? Being sinners!)

Luke 24:47 Jesus said 'Repentance and remission of sins should be preached to all nations...'

Repentance is clearly turning FROM sin and TO Christ. Faith invoves both and to try to say that you are believing (trusting and relying)on Christ without turning from your old life of sin is crazy.

Sometimes the bible describes the act of repentance without using the word 'repentance' as this passage shows...

1 John 3:4-6 ' Whover commits sin also commits lawlessness.
And you know that He (Jesus) was manifested to take away our sins, and in Him is no sin.
Whovever abides in Him does not (continue in) sin. Whoever (continues to) sin has neither seen Him or known Him.'

2009/9/2 10:20Profile
trxx

ON Canada

for "DougRenz"

"Just Believe or Repentance & Faith?
Does salvation come by just "believing" in the Lord Jesus Christ or do we need "Repentance & Faith"?"

A sermon I've always appreciated is "The First Word of the Gospel" by J Edwin Orr. I think that it will help you to understand the answer to your question. You can find it on this page https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=11&min=60&orderby=titleA&show=20 the second last sermon.

2009/9/2 11:35Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

why is not Jesus words enough? why need we other mens words? if it where a very obscure and hard passage to understand i can see need fr consulting others.... but Jesus said "repent and believe"

2009/9/2 11:50Profile
Leo_Grace

As the other responders have pointed out, faith without repentance is not faith at all. If we believe in God, then we must believe his teachings. His Word and His Spirit will lead us into repentance IF WE TRULY BELIEVE.

Regarding repentance from sin:

Quote:
Repentance is NOT Forsaking One's Sin

This statement/title is false teaching and intended to mislead. Our God is a Holy God. He is the exact opposite of sinfulness, like light is the opposite of darkness. When one repents TOWARDS God, he automatically turns AWAY from sin. This is one of the clearest teachings in the Bible.

I don't see the need to belabor this point.

2009/9/2 12:24Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy