SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : How do you fast?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re: How do you fast?

Isa 58:6 Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?
Isa 58:7 Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?
Isa 58:8 Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the LORD shall be thy rereward.

So far this thread has dealt with food fasts, which is the most common and widely recognized fast. I like the suggestion of breaking the fast at supper with the family by timing the fast.

The bands that we are breaking with a fast seem to me to be the bands of the dominance of the flesh so we can be more sensitive to the Spirit of the Lord. It is a way of crucifying the flesh. Along those lines, I would suggest that fasting need not be limited to food. If you are not a person given to appetite where food is concerned, what are you given to? Does coffee dominate your life. Fast that. Are you "addicted" to television? Fast that. I am not saying to never fast food in the more traditional sense. That is powerful, and need not be left out, but you can begin to live a fasted lifestyle by regularly fasting other things that tend to govern your life as well.

Hope maybe that will help.

2009/8/23 9:22Profile

Re:

I think that fast can be food and from any form of entertainment...I don't really agree though that we have to be lead by the spirit to start the fast. I believe it a choice we make to place our body our flesh under submission. To submit ourselves to war against the flesh. But I am not talking about how the Pharisees fast for one reason only as to boast. Are we told to submit our flesh so that would me it is an act to do so?

2009/8/23 11:57
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re:

twayneb,

That is a very good post and quite thought provoking.

Haven't seen you post before, guess you were saving yourself for a subject in which you are versed. Hope to see you around here more,

white stone

2009/8/23 12:17Profile

Re:

Quote:

twayneb wrote:
Isa 58:6 Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?
Isa 58:7 Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?
Isa 58:8 Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the LORD shall be thy rereward.

So far this thread has dealt with food fasts, which is the most common and widely recognized fast. I like the suggestion of breaking the fast at supper with the family by timing the fast.

The bands that we are breaking with a fast seem to me to be the bands of the dominance of the flesh so we can be more sensitive to the Spirit of the Lord. It is a way of crucifying the flesh. Along those lines, I would suggest that fasting need not be limited to food. If you are not a person given to appetite where food is concerned, what are you given to? Does coffee dominate your life. Fast that. Are you "addicted" to television? Fast that. I am not saying to never fast food in the more traditional sense. That is powerful, and need not be left out, but you can begin to live a fasted lifestyle by regularly fasting other things that tend to govern your life as well.

Hope maybe that will help.

Amen ...good word.

2009/8/23 15:16
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: Derek Prince's

I wrote this out from Derek Prince's sermon "[b]Self Humbling through Fasting[/b]" (series: Bend the church and Bow the world). This helps me to know the basis of why we should fast! I hope it helps anyone else that needs it.

[i]Now we're going to turn to Leviticus 16 and we're going to read verses 29 through 31. This is about the day of atonement, what the Jewish people call Yom Kippur which is still the most sacred day in the Jewish calendar three thousand four hundred years from the time these words were spoken. Speaking about this day of atonement, Moses says,
29 "This shall be a statute forever for you: In the seventh month, on the tenth day of the month, you shall afflict your souls, and do no work at all, whether a native of your own country or a stranger who (sojourns) dwells among you.
30 "For on that day the priest shall make atonement for you, to cleanse you, that you may be clean from all your sins before the LORD.
31 "It is a Sabbath of solemn rest for you, and you shall afflict your souls. It is a statute forever."

That is the most emphatic statement; it is a statute forever. It is never to change. And as I said for 3,400 years the Jewish people have always observed Yom Kippur, even if they were in a concentration camp, they would observe it as a day of fasting. In Acts 27.9, it is called the fast.

So that establishes the Scriptural fact which could be established in many ways that when God said afflict your souls, He meant fast.

My definition of fasting is: going without food for spiritual purposes. It's not necessarily going without drink although the Jewish people for Yom Kippur for about 25 hours, they normally go without food or water. It's dangerous to go more than 72 hours without water and I would never recommend you to do it. I did know a preacher called Tommy Hicks who turned Argentina upside down some considerable time ago, he went 17 days; Moses went 40 days without food or water; but don't ever attempt to go beyond 72 days unless you are in a supernatural realm with God as Moses was.

Fasting is not just going without food; [b]it's going without food for spiritual purposes.[/b] Now why did God require that the Israelites afflict their souls? That word afflict is a very powerful word. It is also used to describe what a man does to a woman when he rapes her, to subdue, to humble, to humiliate and God requires that we humble, subdue, and humiliate our souls. And he said to the Israelites, "If you don't do it every year, you're no longer my people." So God attaches tremendous importance to this act.

Why? I think you have to understand the function of the soul. Humanity is a triune being made in the likeness of a triune God; spirit, soul and body. I don't want to get into an analysis of this but essentially the soul is the ego, it's the eye; and there are three main functions of the soul (according to most theologians), intellect, will and emotions. Put will first.... will, intellect, and emotions. So translating it into simple language here, your soul is the thing that says, "I want; I think; I feel." And it's very arrogant and self-assertive in every one of us. And God says if you really want my blessing you're going to have to learn to subdue that arrogant, self-assertive ego in every one of you.[/i]

[edited spelling mistakes... that's what I get for using notepad! LOL

2009/8/23 15:43Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy