SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : How do you fast?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
reformer

How do you fast?

How does one fast with family around. Kids and wife...how do you allow time for a fast? Without it getting in the way and if it seems to interfere should you stop the fast?

Not sure if anyone fasts regularly or not and has experienced this.

2009/8/22 17:37Profile
HeartSong

Re: How do you fast?

If the Lord is having you to fast, He will show you what it is that He would have you to do. Just ask Him to show you the way.

2009/8/22 18:31Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Hi,

A long time ago I read a book about fasting for health benefits. I eventually worked around to doing it on a small scale.

The first time I fasted was before I had learned how and I managed to give myself a whopping migraine headache. (Note: if you normally drink coffee/tea and stop cold, you will get a migraine).

When they fasted in the Bible days their diets were free of all the additives and chemicals that are in modern day processed food. Even if you don't eat processed food, the meat we are able to buy in the grocery is full of antibiotics and stuff. When you fast, you body will begin 'housecleaning.' This means it will start to rid your body of all these nasty things that have built up over the years. What you want to do is limit the speed of the release of these toxins. If too much is dumped into the blood at once it can make you VERY sick. It is better to do juice or fruit fasts. Actually it is better to read up on it more and not take my word. I am not a Dr.

If you are interested in the name of the book, I will see if I can dig it up.

I did manage to go completely vegetarian one summer and after a few months was able to fast for 48 hours but never longer. Circumstances came about that prevented me from continuing. Often I think about going back to that plan but since I have to cook for a husband and I know he does not long for those starvation days, I have not acted on my thoughts.

You have to start small to be able to not have it interfere with your life.

When we were on that diet, I had also found a copy of Fit For Life and followed the advice in there as much as I could. We ate raw fruit and vegetables for 70% of our diet. That is a great book. It points out that the Earth is 70% water, the human body is 70% water and our food should be 70% raw (containing naturally distilled water and nutrients).

We both felt great when on that diet, too.

Cheers,
white stone

2009/8/22 19:17Profile
Lysa

This world is not my home anymore.

Re: fasting

There are the 12 hour fasts... 4 am to 4 pm or 6 am to 6 pm.

David Wilkerson says he fasts one or two days as week and I've heard Derek Prince talk about always fasting one or two separate days a week. A statement I remember Derek Prince saying was, "Church members don't fast, disciples do." Because I said, "Lord, I want to be a disciple."

I dont' know what it's like to be a dad and fast but to be a mom and fast, it sure didn't set well having to cook for everyone and fast at the same time!!

Yes, there were times it interfered and I would stop the fast...but in hindsight, I should have included my husband and kids in on it. Not in a bragging bravado (Oh, look at me) way, but in a "Look, I feel I really need to seek the Lord and I need your help" way. And since I didn't, I "let" it interfere with my fast and walk.

You pray about it and see what the Lord wants you to do!

Many blessings in your search for more!

2009/8/22 19:57Profile
reformer

Re:

Quote:

White_Stone wrote:
Hi,

A long time ago I read a book about fasting for health benefits. I eventually worked around to doing it on a small scale.

The first time I fasted was before I had learned how and I managed to give myself a whopping migraine headache. (Note: if you normally drink coffee/tea and stop cold, you will get a migraine).

When they fasted in the Bible days their diets were free of all the additives and chemicals that are in modern day processed food. Even if you don't eat processed food, the meat we are able to buy in the grocery is full of antibiotics and stuff. When you fast, you body will begin 'housecleaning.' This means it will start to rid your body of all these nasty things that have built up over the years. What you want to do is limit the speed of the release of these toxins. If too much is dumped into the blood at once it can make you VERY sick. It is better to do juice or fruit fasts. Actually it is better to read up on it more and not take my word. I am not a Dr.

If you are interested in the name of the book, I will see if I can dig it up.

I did manage to go completely vegetarian one summer and after a few months was able to fast for 48 hours but never longer. Circumstances came about that prevented me from continuing. Often I think about going back to that plan but since I have to cook for a husband and I know he does not long for those starvation days, I have not acted on my thoughts.

You have to start small to be able to not have it interfere with your life.

When we were on that diet, I had also found a copy of Fit For Life and followed the advice in there as much as I could. We ate raw fruit and vegetables for 70% of our diet. That is a great book. It points out that the Earth is 70% water, the human body is 70% water and our food should be 70% raw (containing naturally distilled water and nutrients).

We both felt great when on that diet, too.

Cheers,
white stone

Was it a fast like a diet? Or where you fasting and praying?

2009/8/22 20:04Profile
Choo

What has helped me in the past is to prepare myself days before the time I am planning to begin the fast. I ask the Lord to begin to help me to get my mind focused and ready to do it. I ask Him for His help to take away for that time any allurement for food. I ask that the Holy Spirit will take control of me during that time. And that despite distractions, to help me to maintain a spiritual calm and joy. I keep rehearsing to myself the reason(s) why I feel that it is necessary to do this.

Years ago, I used to work in a bakery. You can well imagine the sight & aroma that assailed me, but during one Easter weekend out of intense gratitude and love for Jesus, I wanted to sacrifice food as a thank offering to Him. It was an amazing experience. The first day, I was a little tempted once or twice, but after that the Lord greatly strengthened me. My time with Him in prayer and communion was awesome. And by the way holiday weekends like that is very busy...lots of distraction. What I am trying to say is it has to be done in the Spirit and with His help.

It is a very worthwhile and needful discipline in christendom today.

Charmaine

2009/8/22 20:06Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re:

Quote:
Was it a fast like a diet? Or where you fasting and praying?

Both.

2009/8/22 20:28Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

I fast one day a week from 6PM Tuesday night to 6PM Wednesday night, drinking only water. In this way I can fast for 24 hours and still sit down with the family for supper. When I do fasts for longer than the 24 hours I just let the family know that I am fasting and will not be joining them at the dinner table but will be praying instead during that time.

My family understands and I never have a problem with fasting "getting in the way" of anything in my home, rather fasting seems to remove many obstacles in personal and family matters.

Fasting is beneficial in prayer warfare and also can be helpful towards gaining direction and discernment in spiritual battles. Fasting isn't some kind of magical formula for spiritual victory but it certainly is a powerful weapon for the believer.

Before you begin fasting do a careful and prayerful study of Isaiah 58.

In Christ,

Ron

2009/8/22 20:51Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

For me fasting with 4 little ones and a spouse can be challanging temptation wise, but it is VERY rewarding.

When I am on a water and juice fast (coffee not included), I usually fast between 7-12 days from all food. As you know during dinner time, it can be very hard. I usually do ALL the cooking that I can during this time. If I can't eat it, I sure am going to enjoy the direct smell of it at least! I will usually sit down with the family to eat and have my allotment of V-8 juice that I give myself per meal. Add a little extra celery salt in it.

But to your question. There really is no problem with fasting around family. In fact, it usually brings up great conversations about the Lord. As for interfering with things... I don't know what you not eating would interfere with specifically? As long as you do not seclude yourself from the family during this time, I think that all should be ok. It works for me at least. I have even had brothers and sisters over for grill outs where I have been in the midst of fasting. Very hard to watch everyone eat burgers and brats while I drink V-8 and apple juice :-) , but it did not interfer with anything because of the fast.

Now there are times that I cannot be around the family during eating because it is tempting. During this time I usually ask my wife what she would like me to get done for her while she cooks, fees the kids and cleans, then I go work on that project specifically during this time. Win win.

Hope this helps my friend!

2009/8/22 23:37Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

just wanted to add that i think its important to remember that always when fasting it should be with joy and thanksgiving, for some time it was a burden sort of, it can be "hard" but without the spirit of thanksgiving to the lord and joy, i doubt such fast avail much, that is my experience. So fast with joy in the Lord :-) , just as giving money can be a dead work by giving but in our hearts we dont really wanna give, and such things, so we should remember setting aside time to fast must be of the same spirit.

2009/8/23 9:21Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy