SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : New testament prophesy?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
Agent001

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re:

Quote:
I understand your skepticism regarding predictive prophecies and, I would add, directive prophecy. New revelation can only be the result of God giving light on the scripture

Yes, I would include "directive prophecy" in my list. That is not to say that the Spirit does not lead us at all through inward impressions and promptings (these I often experience), or even dreams and visions (these I have no experience at all). However, one should be discerning and should never place them over the authority of God's written word. Some charismatics sometimes make me nervous when they make their (extrabiblical) "prophetic claims" with such certainty and confidence.

To me, an obsession with the supernatural is indicative of spiritual immaturity and laziness. We should rather let God be God, walk by faith, not by sight.

2004/9/16 9:05Profile
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

Re: Prophecy

I once heard a speaker say that he believed that Paul exhorted us to "despise not prophecy", because it is the spiritual gift that is most prone to "flakiness".

I belive that prochecy can manifest as "devinely inspired, timely advice" (words of wisdom, and knowledge).

I prophecy, in this manner, personally, however I am always carefull to inform the hearer to disregard what I have to say, if God hasn't been speaking to them personally regarding the same manner. I am also careful not to operate out of my own understanding, informing hearers that I personally know things when I do.

My wife operates in predictive style of prophecy, however she rarely tells the people concerned, only myself, so we can pray about the situation, effectively.

I know I've just openned myself up to alot of criticism, saying this, but I'm not gonig to lie about my convictions.

2004/9/16 9:30Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
I prophecy, in this manner, personally...I know I've just openned myself up to alot of criticism, saying this, but I'm not gonig to lie about my convictions.

Greg has a little pile of stones he's been saving for me...

Aaron
I have functioned in prophecy in local church settings and conferences for many years. I have also sneaked one or two into meetings that didn't believe in 'that kind of thing'. :-D

In my experience there is a distinct difference between a spontaneous revelation of 'light' in the scripture and a spontaneous prophetic utterance. The latter always comes as a surprise to the mind and is seldom fully formed. You make a start and see where it goes. Revelation in the scripture has much more of a slow burn; whereas a prophecy arrives quickly in its initial stages.

These are my personal experiences too and not to be set as any kind of standard. When talking to children in explaining the function of contemporary prophecy in the church I often say.. When a person suddenly becomes aware of what God is thinking and speaks it out, we call that a prophecy. I believe, from scripture, that Paul saw prophecy as a fundamental need in a local church, hence 'but rather that ye may prophesy...'

2004/9/16 10:39Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
My wife operates in predictive style of prophecy, however she rarely tells the people concerned, only myself, so we can pray about the situation, effectively.

I know I've just opened myself up to alot of criticism, saying this, but I'm not going to lie about my convictions.

In times when I feel God has warned me of things or revealed things about current circumstances it always creates or I should say accompanies an urgency to pray and seek God for the wisdom to do what God would have me do and for His divine intervention. God reserves the right to warn His people about things and if we are to be utterly New Testamently Biblical He is a lot more active in the common affairs of the Church in Acts than today. The reason for this is manifold- but the message is the same, "He that hath an ear let them hear what the Spirit saith unto the Churches." That voice is far to often silenced and men do what is right in their own eyes. Interpreting scripture subjectivly based upon their own lusts, etc.- rather than allowing the Holy Ghost to interpret and apply it. Excesses, abuses and down right flakiness, falsehood and deception has caused this generation in many cases to "despise prophesying" and down right reject the moving of the Spirit in our lives and meetings. The attitude of many fundamentalists towards these things has often been like the attitude of my great grandmother who would spank every child in the house when she did not know the guilty party. The attitude, "I'll spank you all and I'll get the right one!"

When God shows up we'll know it- that is, His sheep will hear His voice and another they will not follow.

I have been reading George Fox's autobiography and I am stunned at the level of ministry he was functioning in. We have not seen it in our day (that I am aware), but would to God that He would raise up some prophets with a boldness like that. We need to see the true prophetic unction of God warning the people and calling them to repent. We need the Spirit of the Lord upon us that we might do the works of Christ as He did them when the Spirit of the Lord was upon Him. Utterly humble and faceless (seeking no reputation) and utterly for His glory.

God Bless,

-Robert

2004/9/16 12:05Profile
Delboy

Worthing UK

Re:

Hi Aaron, you said;

Quote:

Have you opened yourself to be critisised? I think not.
It seems to me that you are used in bringing the prophetic but you dont blow your own trumpet or give yourself a title. This is admirable and refreshing.
Too many today look towards the old testament way of functioning e.g. THE prophet, THE worship leaders.
thanks for your openness :-)

2004/9/16 13:23Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy