SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Question on Bibles: ESV and Holman.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
Nasher

Watford, UK

Re:

Do you think modern translators are "scared" to use Jehovah because they think people might think it would be a JW bible?:-(

These days, when I read (in my head) the words "the LORD" I always say (in my head) Jehovah.

2004/9/10 9:18Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:

Do you think modern translators are "scared" to use Jehovah because they think people might think it would be a JW bible?

I think the KJV has had such an impact on our subconscious thinking that it would take enormous effort to change some of its expressions. It may be more that scholars are divided as to whether to use Jehovah or Yahweh. Yahweh would be the most appropriate but then what are you going to do with all those wonderful old hymns? Guide me O thou great Yahweh' is just not going to catch on.

In the Abraham narrative I have constantly pronounced LORD as Jehovah in my own thinking. The word Jehovah is a little like the word Jesus; that is a mispronunciation too. But 'yay-soos' is never going to replace 'Jesus' in our memories or our affections.

2004/9/10 10:33Profile
seekinggod

Fond du Lac, WI

Re: Question on Bibles: ESV and Holman.

Quote:
where the writer stated that we need to be careful to give life to scripture when reading, otherwise it becomes stale.

I can appreciate his point, but most active readers of Scripture have Christ as their life, and attack Scripture with a passion because of this.

Those who are not "sitting at His feet" will tend to find Scripture a bit dry, and giving it "life" may seem forced to them.

2004/9/10 11:56Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

I have been using the ESV a little recently and have posted some initial comments in the ESV? thread.

2004/9/17 14:36Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy