SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Prayer is NOT the answer!!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread

Prayer is NOT the answer!!

Prayer is NOT the answer!!

2009/8/2 12:15
Yoli

Texas

Re: Prayer is NOT the answer!!

l

2009/8/2 12:40Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Is there something missing in this thread?

2009/8/2 14:41Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Theology definetly is not the answer. Christ is and the Spirit of God that leads into all truth. And the method of prayer is how we come into contact with Christ and the Spirit of God.

So therefore yes,

Prayer [b]is[/b] the answer.

2009/8/2 15:07Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

And the question is...

2009/8/2 15:52Profile

Re:

I threw out this statement because prayer alone is not the answer. We have thousands of religions in the world all claim to "pray" to the true God. They all pray to some deity.

Two men went up to the temple to pray. One was name Abel and the other Cain. Cain offered up his works to God saying, "Look at all these fine veggies that I have wrought for you, I've toiled the ground to produce this bountiful crop. I am not like my brother Abel over there who has nothing to show for his gratitude." Abel on the other hand believed that God sees all and his accomplishments were considered dung, so he offered up what he did not produce, his faith.**

Cain didn't have faith in God. His faith was in his works and what he could produce. But Abel had the faith that was pleasing to God, in that Abel had nothing to offer God but faith and obedience.

Prayer is still not the answer if it's not coupled with faith. Cain prayed but it was not the faith that God desired.

He that comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him. We have to believe when we pray otherwise our prayer will be that of Cain trying to please God by our much speaking.

There are people that pray and pray and pray and get no where with God. Why? Because there is no faith involved, there is no trust.

**[I combined cain and abel and the pharisee and the publican stories together to show a parallel]

2009/8/2 16:37
shadyg

I see where you are going with this.

I had a professor at Seminary...DS Whitney who said something like this "the most important thing you can do is not pray but rather read your bible. For it's much more important that you hear from God than it is for him to hear from you."

You can read his thoughts yourself in his book "Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life."

2009/8/2 16:48Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
There are people that pray and pray and pray and get no where with God. Why? Because there is no faith involved, there is no trust.

According to scripture, believers often do not get what they ask for in prayer, not because of lack of faith per se...but because they ask amiss. I have no doubt many people pray fervent prayers with a vibrant faith, believing with all their heart God will answer and satisfy a selfish motive.

All of us are given a measure of faith; Cain had faith as did Abel. When we read the scripture carefully, we find that God rejected [i]Cain[/i] first and as a result his offering was rejected. It was not Cain's faith or gift that was the problem - it was Cain himself. Something was wrong within, deep in the heart. It's the same principle the Lord gave with a believer going to the altar in good faith with his gift and having it rejected on the basis of not being reconciled with his brother.

Multitudes have faith for all kinds of things, and yet are not right within. Family prayers can also be hindered if husbands and wives are living in discord with each other, irrespective of faith.

Prayer is indeed the answer - the righteous man's prayer.

2009/8/2 17:24Profile

Re:

Quote:
Prayer is indeed the answer - the righteous man's prayer.

I am thankful for your discreet answer. The prayer of a righteous man availeth much. What makes a righteous man righteous is faith in the finished work of Christ, his prayers availeth much.

I hope more people will share in this thread because this is an important subject. I remember praying like a machine gun, it was just words shooting off in the air, hoping God will hear me for my much speaking. And there I was doing what was expected of me as a young Pentecostal and praying to an intelligent God. That kind of praying is not the answer. The answer was less talking more listening. Mary sat at the feet of Jesus soaking up the words of our LORD while Martha was running around making sure the Church programs were all ready for that weeks service. Nothing wrong in what Martha was doing, but Jesus did say that Mary hath chosen the best part.

You see, What are my words? "Man shall not live by bread alone but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God." God is still speaking today. Jesus said, "He that hath ears to hear let him hear". Hearing is far better than me talking. God knows what I have need of before I even utter a word, but I don't know what God knows before He speaks to me, thus It's more important to hear than it is to speak. If we could just hear one word from God our lives would never be the same. Hearing God is like the red sea parting, there is no question that God hath spoken.

2009/8/2 18:11
cthom

Re: the last comment on this thread

"When we read the scripture carefully, we find that God rejected Cain first and as a result his offering was rejected. It was not Cain's faith or gift that was the problem - it was Cain himself. Something was wrong within, deep in the heart. It's the same principle the Lord gave with a believer going to the altar in good faith with his gift and having it rejected on the basis of not being reconciled with his brother."
-----------

Yes, Paul West, I agree. I heard these very same words first from Zac Poonen in a number of his messages - where he also urges people to read the Bible carefully. More recently in his message "A Sacrifice Like A Perfume" (Sermonindex post on You Tube).

Cain also prayed. But God never answered. Whether God answers our prayer or not is the test.
cthom

2009/8/2 18:12Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy