SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : 1 Peter 3:19

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
PosterThread
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Just a little addition to my thesis!!
I was reading Luke 8 today and was arrested by this verse...
And it came to pass afterward, that he went throughout every city and village, preaching and shewing the glad tidings of the kingdom of God: and the twelve were with him, (Luk 8:1 KJV)

"shewing the glad tidings" is the word 'evangelise' but we must forget all modern notions of method when we say so. It literally means 'to good news'; the method would have to discovered from the text. I like the phrase 'bringing the good news'; it leaves the way wide open as to method.

'preaching' is kErussO which is the word used in 1 Pet 3:19. It means to act as a herald. The ESV has the best rendering I have discovered so far in Luke 8; Soon afterward he went on through cities and villages, proclaiming and bringing the good news of the kingdom of God. And the twelve were with him, (Luk 8:1 ESV)

2004/9/17 14:23Profile
Agent001

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re:

I remember in N.T. Wright's writings, especially [i]Jesus and the Victory of God,[/i] he emphasises this point precisely.

The word for "good news" or "gospel" has strong pagan Roman connotations. It is a word used to
describe the annunciation of the emperor's military victory, birth, accession to throne, etc.

Thus, those who "preach" the "gospel", are the heralds who proclaim the good news that Jesus is Lord, Jesus is King.

Seen from this perspective, 1 Peter 3:19could be referring to Jesus' proclaimation of the victory of God in the "prison."

2004/9/21 11:32Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy