SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Has it ever occurred to you?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
rbanks

Has it ever occurred to you?

That so much time is spent on these posts criticizing and judging others as though we are more right then others. What is it that makes one think that he is more right than others?

Why don’t we spend more time trying to edify one another? Why don’t we practice the love of Christ in esteeming others better than our selves? Why don’t we strive to demonstrate the love of Christ in what we say about other people?

Matthew 7:1-2 (KJV) 1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.
2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

James 2:8-13 (KJV) 8 If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well:
9 But if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin, and are convinced of the law as transgressors.
10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.
11 For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law.
12 So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.
13 For he shall have judgment without mercy, that hath shewed no mercy; and mercy rejoiceth against judgment.

2009/6/20 12:39Profile
rainydaygirl

Re: Has it ever occurred to you?

Can I ask you is this aimed at any one post in particular or just a swiping general comment that you felt led to share concerning every post in the forum? I am asking because I have found some of the recent posts very edify personally. Some have really helped remind me to except nothing less then the Scripture as my standard, rather then putting my faith or trust in men.

Just wondering
rdg

2009/6/20 12:50Profile
rbanks

Re:

Quote:

rainydaygirl wrote:
Can I ask you is this aimed at any one post in particular or just a swiping general comment that you felt led to share concerning every post in the forum? I am asking because I have found some of the recent posts very edify personally. Some have really helped remind me to except nothing less then the Scripture as my standard, rather then putting my faith or trust in men.

Just wondering
rdg

Sister,

It is a blessing to be edified from the spirit of truth. I am glad you have been edified but there is much character assassination from some on here if they disagree with another.

1 Corinthians 13:1-8 (KJV) 1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

2009/6/20 13:09Profile
rainydaygirl

Re:

OH, I guess I just have not come across that as much with the threads that I have read. I do tend to avoid certain topics though. Thanks for responding so fast. I was not sure if there was one thread in particular that had caused you to post. I suppose no matter where you go there will always be that within us that wants to defend our point of view. I do think it is defiantly something that I struggle with at times. I am learning that it is important to choose ones battles. I have to say though that when it comes to truth of Scripture being twisted to suite someones sinful life style or to lead others astray I will try to share with them Gods truth. IF they refuse to listen though all that is left to do is pray for them. The Word must be the standard that we live by, and it must be shared with love, with the goal of always pointing one toward Jesus.

rdg

2009/6/20 13:24Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

A very good word, or concern brother. I do agree some discussions are nessacary, but what we all need to check is our spirit and motive behind them, if as you say the root is in "i" being right more then love expressed in errors that could lead to spiritual harm on those we talk to we are on dangerous ground.

I have always been amazed at this verse.

Jas 1:26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain.

All men who can not control their tongue, at home at work, in discussing doctrines and other people, their religion, all their knowledge, all their prayers, all their giving is worth zero, worthless......

What the new testament speaks on is and what i have found to be missing in christianity much today, and probably one of the factors heresy's and lukewarmness and blunt preaching is rampant is the lack of practicing this verse.

Heb 3:13 But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.

G3870
παρακαλέω
parakaleō
Thayer Definition:
1) to call to one’s side, call for, summon
2) to address, speak to, (call to, call upon), which may be done in the way of exhortation, entreaty, comfort, instruction, etc.
2a) to admonish, exhort
2b) to beg, entreat, beseech
2b1) to strive to appease by entreaty
2c) to console, to encourage and strengthen by consolation, to comfort
2c1) to receive consolation, be comforted
2d) to encourage, strengthen
2e) exhorting and comforting and encouraging
2f) to instruct, teach

2009/6/20 13:26Profile
rbanks

Re:

Quote:

hmmhmm wrote:

I have always been amazed at this verse.

Jas 1:26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain.

All men who can not control their tongue, at home at work, in discussing doctrines and other people, their religion, all their knowledge, all their prayers, all their giving is worth zero, worthless......

What the new testament speaks on is and what i have found to be missing in christianity much today, and probably one of the factors heresy's and lukewarmness and blunt preaching is rampant is the lack of practicing this verse.

Heb 3:13 But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.

G3870
παρακαλέω
parakaleō
Thayer Definition:
1) to call to one’s side, call for, summon
2) to address, speak to, (call to, call upon), which may be done in the way of exhortation, entreaty, comfort, instruction, etc.
2a) to admonish, exhort
2b) to beg, entreat, beseech
2b1) to strive to appease by entreaty
2c) to console, to encourage and strengthen by consolation, to comfort
2c1) to receive consolation, be comforted
2d) to encourage, strengthen
2e) exhorting and comforting and encouraging
2f) to instruct, teach

Dear Christian,

I have greatly enjoyed your posts. It has always been a delight to read one of your posts. I want to personally thank you for the many times you have edified me with yours writings and the spirit that you display.

Blessings to you!

2009/6/20 13:44Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

Quote:
Dear Christian, I have greatly enjoyed your posts. It has always been a delight to read one of your posts. I want to personally thank you for the many times you have edified me with yours writings and the spirit that you display. Blessings to you!

Thank you, your words warm me :-) so often i struggle to express the enormous "things" inside of me trying to get out, so many times i feel i just got so little out from what a river that flows on the outside, sometimes for the better sometimes for worse, but not easy trying express everything in english when you think in swedish.

But i am glad if i in the smallest way can contribute to the least of men. Your presence here brother have encouraged me to often times. Its not we never should get into the "nitty-gritty" hard topics that can be offensive and misunderstood, easy become controversy and divide.... but if those subjects are the only one we participate in..... something is wrong in our spirit even tho we think we have #right" doctrine and authority to teach and rebuke the deceived. There certainly is a great need to talk these things.... but if we find ourself always as soon as one of those threads pop up we are in it and typing our conviction and never enter into the other vast realm of subjects, I fear we missed what christianity is about.

There is a time for everything, sometimes warning and a hard word, but also for love and encouragement, so we can see what threads are we most easily sucked into? then we can ask God why is that i am being drawn to these certain topics?

a good question for all of us.

Thank you again for this thread, its encouraging

2009/6/20 14:05Profile
wayneman

Michigan

Re: Has it ever occurred to you?

Quote:
(Has it ever occured to you) that so much time is spent on these posts criticizing and judging others as though we are more right then others. What is it that makes one think that he is more right than others?

I feel led to berate and criticize you and question your salvation for asking such questions. :-)

Seriously, I've been asking myself the same questions lately, and I don't know the answers. But let me bounce a few ideas off you...

Sound doctrine is essential to the life of the church.

Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son. If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed. 2 John 9-10

Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away [their] ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables. 2 Tim. 4:2-4

Since we live in an age of general apostasy, it is necessary to hash out important doctrinal issues, and this forum is a great place for it. What bothers me is the way we get so viscerally angry over doctrinal diasagreements and start bighting and devouring one another. I recently embroiled myself in a Three Stooges pie fight on the "Calvary Chapel...EMERGENT?" thread, until people started posting testimonies of their Barnsdall experiences, and the absurdity of what we were doing struck me with such force that I felt like an idiot among idiots - like a soldier in an army that expends all its energy fighting itself instead of fighting the enemy.

The Moravians used to refer to fraternal bickering as "ants under the armor." When an army is idle, ants get under the armor. They get itchy, sweaty, irritable and start bickering amongst themselves. Maybe we bicker because we are an idle army. If we were out on the front lines where we are supposed to be, we wouldn't have the time or the inclination for petty squabbling; we would be standing shoulder to shoulder in unity. King David fell into sin when he stayed idling in his palace when he should have been on the front lines with his men. 2 Sam. 11

It is easy to understand why professional clergymen war over theology. Dogma is the cudgel with which they wield authority over the flock. People who disagree with their dogma pose a threat to their livelihood. But even among the laity there persists this ancient heresy that the sum and substance of the Christian life is upholding correct doctrinal opinions, that correct opinionation is what God chiefly requires of us and that if we get the theology right, everything else falls into place. This is demonstrably wrong.

Neil recently posted a few vids of Rev. Fred ("God Hates Fags") Phelps. Mr. Phelps is a warning of what happens to Christians who nurture the root of bitterness. Heb. 12:15 He has harbored bitterness so long that it has consumed him and overthrown his wits. But, to me, the really scary thing about Phelps is that his theology is rock-solid, straight out of the New Testament. But can Phelps' doctrinally sound venom-spewing really be called "Gospel preaching?" No, this poor nut demonstrates that correct opinionation has no spiritual virtue in itslf. It may be theologically orthodox, but if it is devoid of agape love, it is not the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Follow peace with all [men], and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble [you], and thereby many be defiled. Heb. 12:14-15

2009/6/20 15:39Profile
run2win

USA

Re:

Good points, all.

Wayneman, I liked so much of what you shared, especially about the ants under the armor. Also, the scripture passages.

As to Mr. Phelps, he is a good example of the noisy gong or clanging cymbal of 1Cor13:1. Love is what is needed in all correction and instruction in righteousness: the motivation of love in its purest form--the greatest gift.

2009/6/20 17:40Profile
clintstone

tulsa,ok.

Re:

excellent adition to this thred . God bless you and may His grace abound towards you , Clint

2009/6/20 19:11Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy