SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Bible Study at Hooters

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Your dictionary is a 'gent' too. Over here 'lulu' means someone who is 'one sandwich short of the full pic-nic'.

hahhahaha well if its any consideration I think we are all in some way or another missing an 'sandwich' or two.

Quote:
Satan may draw a circle around the world and say 'it is mine'. God draws a larger circle which encloses that circle and Satan himself and says 'it is mine'.

I will subscribe to that ;-) I guess a simple outlook on this topic is profitable. Sam Jones used to have instead of 'revival meetings' - 'quitting meetings' and one night a ladie came up to him and he asked her 'what are you quitting' and she responded 'I am being idle and doing nothing, I am going to quit doing that.' perhaps to sense Gods call to evangelize and witness would be in case for some of us at this point of this thread.

I think some of brother Roberts comments on holiness and abstaining from sin should be considered amongst our efforts to reach the lost also.

2004/8/27 16:41Profile
KeithLaMothe

Re:

I think I'm most in agreement with Philologos here. Hooters and such places are despicable and to be avoided in general (and certainly not to be used as a place of fellowship), but we mustn't think certain places are off-limits for the Gospel.

When it comes down to it, if they would allow preachers in there, someone should preach (even if from outside the building) as hard as is Biblical against sexual sin, or whatever the Lord tells them to preach. The situation would resolve itself shortly: either they would kick you out in 30 seconds or conviction would come.

I attend the University of Georgia, and around campus (or downtown, particularly downtown) there's a plentiful supply of [b]very[/b] immodestly dressed women. Typically I don't even notice that when I'm preaching, it's just so common and the women are often not even very attractive to me (perhaps because they resemble animals more than humans in their behavior, they'd actually be far more attractive to me if they dressed modestly and acted feminine and godly). Having glanced at the picture in the news article linked to in the first post of this thread, I can say that the women in Hooters are not much (if any) less modest than a fairly large amount of the women one sees around here if he preaches downtown at night. Thankfully God's protected me from those temptations.

Nonetheless, I can't imagine ever needing to preach in a Hooters, there's such a torrent of people on the streets and on campus, and the only time I can think of that the management of a place like Hooters would let me preach in them would be a time of general revival (during which the establishment would likely be closed or converted to something wholesome).

But as to the original question of this thread, whether this so-called Bible study in Hooters is a good idea? Give me a break. If you were preaching the Biblical Law and Gospel in essentially any secular establishment, they'd kick you out in under 5 minutes and probably call the cops if you persisted. If they're tolerating you, something's wrong with you, or (and this would be ok) God's restraining them.

2004/8/27 19:38Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
But as to the original question of this thread, whether this so-called Bible study in Hooters is a good idea? Give me a break. If you were preaching the Biblical Law and Gospel in essentially any secular establishment, they'd kick you out in under 5 minutes and probably call the cops if you persisted. If they're tolerating you, something's wrong with you, or (and this would be ok) God's restraining them.

Amen!

2004/8/27 19:56Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:

Yes me and one of my best friends used to have bible studies in Coffee Time (which is a coffee shop place like starbucks but cheaper). And we used to bring our bibles at night and get some coffee and read the word of God and pray out loud, not loud to be distruptive just causually. And if you were paying close attention you would know we were reading the bible and praying. The funny thing is everytime we went in their our focus was on our spiritual growth and benefit, and people would seem to be agitated and leave from all OVER the coffee time. Basically within 30mins to an hour the place was empty and that happened basically everytime. There was a clearing house because the spirit of Christ was with us and was convicting others in the establishment. There were a few times we could witness and talk to people in nearby tables. We did devestation to the business of that coffee house :P if we went everynight back then it would have been out of business. :-P

2004/8/27 21:23Profile
Bub

San Diego, CA

Re:

Quote:

Amen and Amen!

At this point I refer back to one of my replies about listening to "10 Shekels and a Shirt" and "Revival Hymn" for further instructions. I have no idea who this group is, conducting church at Hooters. But I know that if true teaching of the Word of God is taking place then it goes against all that Hooters stands for. Jesus came not to bring peace but to bring a sword. The Holy Spirit is CONVICTING the world of sin, righteousness, and of judgment when Christ is being honored.

I do not disagree with the Evangelism of such a place, but it better be in the pretense and motivation of the Holy Spirit to call people away from such a lifestyle and flee from the wrath to come. My biggest fear is that people are being offered a humanistic gospel in such a way that has not led them to understand that a place like Hooters is an abomination to the Lord.

If one of the Hooters girls got saved then according to God's word she would have to repent of what she is promoting by wearing enticing clothes. She could no longer work there or approve of those who do. 1 Peter 3:3-4 "Whose adorning (women) let it not be that of outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on apparel; But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price."

2004/8/28 5:03Profile
Bub

San Diego, CA

Re:

"I have not softened down the Bible to suit the carnal tastes of men. I have said "damn" where God said "damn," I have not sweetened it into "condemn."-- "Keep clear of Lucifer's matches. You have got enough mischief in your heart without going where you will get more. If anybody feel that he is so very gracious and good that he can safely enter into temptation, I am sure that he is laboring under a very great mistake. I would say to him, "Brother, there is devil enough in you without you sending out invitation cards to seven more. Go to him who casts out devils."-- "Put your finger on any prosperous page in the church's history, and I will find a little marginal note reading thus: "In this age men could readily see where the church began and where the world ended." Never were there good times when the church and the world were joined in marriage. The more the church is different from the world in her acts and in her maxims, the more true is her testimony of Christ, and the more potent is her witness against sin." --Quotes by Charles Spurgeon--

2004/8/28 5:08Profile
HakkaMin

Taiwan

Re:

Quote:

There's at least one more option here. Revival might be getting ready to break out. You know ... that thing that we are praying in faith for. Where God is actually powerful enough to move on mens' and womens' hearts - no matter how pagan - and grace them with a thirst to know more about Him and His ways.

If they are "tolerating" us and our message in such sinful places - then, yes, it's possible there's a problem with our gospel message. It's also possible that God is honestly opening hearts. Isn't that what we're looking for? Isn't that what we're praying for? In faith? (Which means it CAN happen!) Let's at least include this as a possible option, then, for when pagans begin to "tolerate" the gospel.

2004/8/28 9:53Profile
HakkaMin

Taiwan

Re:

Just an idea. Why don't all of us at Sermon Index start to pray for this Bible Study at Hooters? That God would move mightily on the hearts of the lost there in that place. That He would give them thirst for Himself, conviction of sin, revelation of the truth, and faith to believe. I'm pretty sure this would be pleasing to our Father.

"Some, to be sure, are preaching Christ even from envy and strife, but some also from good will; the latter do it out of love, knowing that I am appointed for the defense of the gospel; the former proclaim Christ out of selfish ambition rather than from pure motives, thinking to cause me distress in my imprisonment. What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is proclaimed; and in this I rejoice." (Philippians 1:15-18)

2004/8/28 21:20Profile
PastorEdP

Clinch Mountain, Virginia

Re:

Now this is an excellent idea. Not only that, but its Scriptural as well. If they're holding Bible studies at Hooters, they need all the prayers they can get.

Ed

2004/8/29 5:00Profile
Jslimbaugh

Re:

Quote:

sermonindex wrote:
Quote:
We did devestation to the business of that coffee house :P if we went everynight back then it would have been out of business.

Greetings --

This really struck me, because I think Greg is in Canada.

I live in Birmingham, AL -- the "Bible Belt" -- and even here, if you were to disrupt business with the Gospel, you would be made to leave.

So much for the "freedom of speech" and "the free exercise of religion" I guess. As it turns out, despite the "Bill of Rights" I have been to some places in Eastern Europe in which I felt more "free" than I do in the United States.

(I know this is a little off-topic, but I didn't think it was worth starting a whole new thread over.)

Blessings,
Jason

2004/8/29 7:27Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy