SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : What do you believe about the anti Christ and why?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re: No nothing is set in stone .I have purposed in my heart to keep an open mind. We need to know th

This is my observation of world events. God did not specifically tell me it was Javier or Obama as false prophet but they are both definitely involved with the occult and new world order. I do however believe that the office of high rep. is the anti- Christ office and America as the false prophet kingdom and the direct involvement of the Catholic Church. What God has specifically spoken to me about? Is the state of the the church. The spirit has led me into the things I spoke about and they all seem to fall together like hand in glove. One thing is very clear the vehicle by which they will mount the war against the saints is being set in place. The propaganda to get the people to accept A.o.C.’s agenda is being released on all fronts. Example:

Homosexual Booklet to Be Distributed to All 16,000 US School Districts

LifeSiteNews.com

Excerpt)

"Just the Facts about Sexual Orientation and Youth," is set to be distributed to all 16,000 school districts in the country.

The 24-page booklet by the National Education Association and American Psychological Association, tells students that homosexuality is a "normal expression of human sexuality".

"What's so scary and dogmatic about this report is that it communicates that religious-based viewpoints are harmful, and even dangerous," said Candi Cushman, education analyst for Focus on the Family Action.

The booklet particularly targets the idea that homosexuality is a condition that can be changed. It instructs educators, "Schools should be careful to avoid discussions of transformational ministry in their curriculum."
---------------------
Things are moving faster and faster toward pure evil.

Come quickly, Lord Jesus

2 The’ domestic rightwing terrorist and extremist groups,’ listed by home land security IS PROPAGANDA TO GET THE PEOPLE TO EXCEPT THE A.o.C.’s agenda to prevent the clash of civilizations to bring together a unified anti-christ gov. and if you oppose it you should be treated just like any other terrorist.

Revisiting the 1990s
(U//FOUO) Paralleling the current national climate, rightwing extremists during the
1990s exploited a variety of social issues and political themes to increase group visibility
and recruit new members. Prominent among these themes were the militia movement’s
Opposition to gun control efforts, criticism of free trade agreements (particularly those
With Mexico), and highlighting perceived government infringement on civil liberties as
Well as white supremacists’ long standing exploitation of social issues such as ABORTION, inter-racial crimes, and SAME-SEX MARRIGES. During the 1990s, these issues contributed to the growth in the number of domestic rightwing terrorist and extremist groups and an increase in violent acts targeting government facilities, law enforcement officers, banks, and infrastructure sectors.

(U) Economic Hardship and Extremism
(U//FOUO) Historically, domestic rightwing extremists have feared, predicted, and
Anticipated a cataclysmic economic collapse in the United States. Prominent
antigovernment conspiracy theorists have incorporated aspects of an impending
economic collapse to intensify fear and paranoia among like-minded individuals and to
attract recruits during times of economic uncertainty. Conspiracy theories involving
declarations of martial law, impending civil strife or racial conflict, suspension of the
U.S. Constitution, and the creation of citizen detention camps often incorporate aspects of
a failed economy. Antigovernment conspiracy theories and “end times” prophecies could
motivate extremist individuals and groups to stockpile food, ammunition, and weapons.
These teachings also have been linked with the radicalization of domestic extremist
Individuals and groups in the past, such as violent CHRISTIAN Identity organizations and
Extremist members of the militia movement

3:

I personally received a D.V.D. that was very well put together and very convincing called the obsession. It was moderate Muslims pleading for Americans to take a stand against terrorism .It started and ended with the statement ‘that all that is needed for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.’ HITLER DOESN’T HAVE ANYTHING ON WHAT IS ABOUT TO GO DOWN .Not everyone got one of these D.V.D.’s because they were only sent to the ones they needed to convence. Check out the book called Steeling the Mind of America.

No nothing is set in stone .I have purposed in my heart to keep an open mind. We need to know the truth not be right. I welcome all insight.

God’s blessing and God’s revelation for all believers I pray!

:-)

2009/5/18 12:44

Re:

Thank you for this post Brother. It was only the part over that one man's name being brought out that I felt hindered your thread.

You said - [i]"...but they are both definitely involved with the occult and new world order."[/i]

I doubt you will find many Globally that aren't.

I take Daniel 8 very seriously [7-12 actually] and you will see that there are multiple fulfilments of the Major Prophets.

Dan 8:20 The ram which thou sawest having two horns are the kings of Media and Persia.
Dan 8:21 And the rough goat is the king of GreciaH3120 : and the great horn that is between his eyes is the first king.
Dan 8:22 Now that being broken, whereas four stood up for it, four kingdoms [Dan 7} shall stand up out of the nation, but not in his power.
Dan 8:23 And in the latter time of their kingdom, when the transgressors are come to the full, a king of fierce countenance, and understanding dark sentences, shall stand up.
Dan 8:24 And his power shall be mighty, but not by his own power: and he shall destroy wonderfully, and shall prosper, and practise, and shall destroy the mighty and the holy people.
Dan 8:25 And through his policy also he shall cause craft to prosper in his hand; and he shall magnify himself in his heart, and by peace shall destroy many: he shall also stand up against the Prince of princes; but he shall be broken without hand.
Dan 8:26 And the vision of the evening and the morning which was told is true: wherefore shut thou up the vision; for it shall be for many days.
Dan 8:27 And I Daniel fainted, and was sick certain days; afterward I rose up, and did the king's business; and I was astonished at the vision, but none understood it.

The "he-goat" takes out the kings of the Medes an Persians - then in vs 8 we see a Quartet and out from those 4 kingdoms [Dan 7] comes the little horn - the antiChrist.

Historically, we can trace who these 4 from Daniel are - IF one realizes that Daniel 7 says that they 'rise up' in the same generation that sees the Ancient of Days take them out - in other words - those who rose during the making of Israel a nation by their hands.

The little horn is in Dan 7 again and comes out from one of the four = the Diverse Beast.

Remembering that these 4, who are all 4 contemporary with each other, were involved in making and the Declaring of Israel as a Nation in "that generation."

GOD Bless!

2009/5/18 14:39
anonymity

Re:

Nearthecross,

Sorry about the late response.

Quote:
True. But isn't that the way it's always been with every religion and government? The nominal, lukewarm followers end up being controlled and manipulated by the radical minority...

It's true. Still though it is not set in stone or promisingly emphatic. I would say though that it might not be hard to take nominal Muslims and show them what the Koran actually says!

Quote:
Muslims would never receive a man who calls Himself God like the anti Christ

It is true that they could be twisted into it, but my main point is that there will be a fundamental change in their theology so therefore Islam is not totally the perfect fit doctrinally since some of its main doctrines would deny this I mean they denied it about Jesus. I think I may have commented earlier but there are many religions waiting for a Messiah figure.

Thanks for your detailed reply I see you have been doing some in depth research. Lastly, I'd like to ask what is your response to the post saying Islam has never ruled but Rome has the world.

2009/5/24 17:56Profile
anonymity

Re:

Dmoney,

I hadn't responded to your post yet so I thought I would. Sorry I took so long, but was not prepared to read so in depth. Thanks for your reply and it seems you are very sincere and fervent about this and have done some hard studying. I will offer my response and thoughts and though in some aspects I disagree I still appreciate you input as it is what I asked for. I think a lot of the NWO and Conspiracy stuff is false. I have done some studying of it for some time and there is a lot of truth in it but there are also a lot of extremes. There is a conspiracy and it will increase but from the ones I have heard much of it is unfounded and guesses based on preumptions. I think one reason for many coming to such conclusions is that sure for instance Hitler was "an" anti Christ but he was not the anti Christ and so we can often get mixed up and think present rulers or such are it. I mean they may do many things that anti Christ would do but they are not quite there. I will have to look further over your posts and see you facts. If you want it might be helpful to post simply in a list your main hard facts and the conclusions so as to be clear. We do not want to bring accusations against people if we are not sure as Christians especially government since that which is righteous is placed there by God and does His work. I think that often we as Christians can be so apocalyptically minded that we become hinderances to good in the world by always emphasizing such things and so forth.

Also, I believe it was you who was posting on affirming the post tribulational stance. I commend you for that I was brought up in a pre trib hub and never was able to receive it because there were no verses and the Lord showed me the truth in the scriptures that the Church will not be raptured before the tribulation that is total nonsense. Much of the Church is SO fundamentally off eschatologically. I also thought about this many don't care about end times prophecies and understanding it but we need to be like those who sought out the prophecies before the coming of Jesus and so as not miss what was happening in the spiritual war!

2009/5/24 18:04Profile
anonymity

Re:

Savannah,

I think you are saying that there will be no literal anti Christ and that it has already been fulfilled in Nero. I think you might also hold to amillenialism and so forth as well. I will say that there is truth to what you are saying and Nero was much like the anti Christ but I would only say that he was an anti Christ and not the anti Christ. I believe that the book of revelation will be fulfilled literally just as in Daniel where literal Kingdoms came about so the revived Roman empire will come literally.

2009/5/24 18:14Profile
anonymity

Re:

To defend Neil,

I think that Neil was offended by statement like NWO and the anti Christ will be Jewish since much of this can carry anti Israeli connotations. I have studied much of the NWO stuff and have found much of it goes to not only blame the US but also Israel conspiratorially and I am sure much of the is pushed by a spirit behind the scenes making doctrines of demons. I am not going to say that the nation of Israel is without fault but I am also not going to go to the extremes of such. Historically so called Christians have used scriptures and other things to persecute the Jew and we ought to be VERY careful and tread wisely. I will also say that the anti Christ may be Jewish. I think though at the same time this does not mean that the Jew should be persecuted and we ought to be careful and be on the offensive to make sure that this doctrine does not lead to some racist ideology like that. So I think that is the main problem and though we may or may not be right in situations like this we have to be extra careful because the enemy always wants to twist things and bring them to extremes.

2009/5/24 18:20Profile

Re:

Is Antichrist Jewish?

What is interesting about Antichrist is the description provided to us by Jesus Christ in the Book of Daniel, chapter 11.

Before I go into the quote, please realise that Antichrist will broker a peace treaty with the Arabs & Israel, and after the Temple is rebuilt, will walk into the rebuilt temple, and demand worship as God Almighty.

(Daniel 11:36-38)
36. And the king shall do according to his will; and he shall exalt himself, and magnify himself above every god, and shall speak marvellous things against the God of gods, and shall prosper till the indignation be accomplished: for that that is determined shall be done. 37.[b] Neither shall he regard the God of his fathers,[/b] nor the desire of women, nor regard any god: for he shall magnify himself above all. 38. But in his estate shall he honour the God of forces: and a god whom his fathers knew not shall he honour with gold, and silver, and with precious stones, and pleasant things.

[b]Since antichrist will not regard the God of his fathers,[/b] he certainly must be a Jew to offend the Jews the way he does. Many of the Jews, that know their Bibles, will know that he is a counterfeit, the abomination of Desolation, as spoken of by Daniel 8:13-14

"13. Then I heard one saint speaking, and another saint said unto that certain saint which spake, How long shall be the vision concerning the daily sacrifice,[b] and the transgression of desolation, to give both the sanctuary and the host to be trodden under foot?[/b]
14. And he said unto me, Unto two thousand and three hundred days; then shall the sanctuary be cleansed. (3 1/2 years)

Once he (antichrist) walks into the Temple and demands worship, they will know who he really is from the Old Testament.

And Gentile's, who have studied the Bible, who were never saved & have entered the Tribulation will know the antichrist from the New Testament, in (Matthew 24:15-25), from the very words of Jesus Christ:

15. When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:) 16. Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains: 17. Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house: 18. Neither let him which is in the field return back to take his clothes. 19. And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days!
20. But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day: 21. For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be. 22. And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened. 23. Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not. 24. For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.
25. Behold, I have told you before.

The Jews today are waiting for the Messiah to save them. They are surronded by enemies, both foreign and domestic. Jerusalem is becoming a "cup of trembling". However, they are looking for the same type of Messiah that they looked for at the time of Christ. A Political Messiah---One who would free them from the boot of Rome, and bring in the millenium.

Today, the Temple is ready to be requilt. I understand they have recreated everything as it was in the beginning. Jews with the last name of Cohen have been DNA tested and determined to be of the tribe of Levi. An entire Priesthood has been trained. The red heffer has been bread, and will be ready to cleanse the Temple. All they need now is Antichrist to provide them with their peace treaty and Temple. He will be their "political" Messiah, until he demands worship, and then their eyes will be opened.

Sincerely,

Walter

2009/5/24 21:06
anonymity

Re:

Waltern,

I got a question for you that I formulated as I was reading the text you posted. It says that he will lift himself above all gods and will not regard any gods but then it says that he regards the god of forces. I don't get it?

Also, I know it says god of fathers but there are other people who have fathers who have gods. I know that he attacks Israel, but so did other kings who were not Jewish. Do you have a reply to that?

2009/5/24 21:23Profile

Re:

To anomity:

He will honor a god of forces (v. 38). The Hebrew word corresponding to "forces" is ma'uzzim (singular, maoz). Elsewhere in the Old Testament, the singular form is normally translated "strength." For example,
. . . The joy of the LORD is your strength [maoz].
Nehemiah 8:10
. . . The LORD is the strength [maoz] of my life; . . . . Psalm 27:1

Thus, the expression "god of forces" might be rendered "god of strengths." But unlike the more common words for strength, maoz specifically denotes a strong thing or place, such as a rock or a fortress. In the KJV it states, in Daniel 11:38 But in his (place) estate shall he honour the God of forces:... The usual interpretation is that instead of worshiping any supernatural deity, the Antichrist will worship military might. In other words, he will have virtually a religious zeal for accumulating arms and waging warfare. Yet this interpretation cannot possibly be correct, for the same verse goes on to say that the god of fortresses will be one whom the fathers of the Antichrist did not know. No generation and no lineage have been free of men devoted to armament and conquest.

What then is the true identity of the Antichrist's god? The answer depends on recognition that of all men other than Christ who have desired to rule the world, the Antichrist will succeed for a while. The world lies in Satan's control, and thus it must be through Satan's patronage that the Antichrist will rise to the highest pinnacle of power. To secure Satan's favor, he will be obliged to meet the requirement that Christ shunned. Satan told Jesus,
6 . . . All this power will I give thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will I give it.
7 If thou therefore wilt worship me, all shall be thine.
8 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve. (Luke 4:6-8}

[b]It is clear that the title "god of forces" for the sole deity that the Antichrist will recognize and worship must be a veiled reference to none other than Satan.[/b]

What exactly are the strong things, the forces, that Satan governs? A recurrent teaching of Scripture, including the Book of Daniel, is that Satan is the head of an organized host of fallen, wicked angels. Elsewhere in Scripture, Satan is given titles similar to "god of forces." He is the "prince of the power of the air" (Eph. 2:2), "a ruler of the darkness of this world" (Eph. 6:12). The title "god of forces" is consistent also with one of Daniel's major themes: namely, the angelic realm. A few verses earlier, in chapter 10, the book reveals that Satan has powerful lieutenants with the rank of prince. Now the view expands to take in other forces who do his bidding.

The text presents an apparent contradiction. The angel presenting the oracle says in one breath that the Antichrist will not honor any god (vs. 36-37), and in the next breath that he will honor a god of forces (v. 38).

Help in reconciling these two assertions comes from the next title used for[b] Satan. He is called "a strange god" (v. 39). As used here, the term implies a god unrecognized by the principal religions of mankind—as it says, "a god whom his fathers knew not" (v. 38)[/b].

Construing the term in this way clarifies the statement that [b]the Antichrist will not honor any god.[/b] The statement must be looking only at the traditional pantheon. The view excludes Satan, who, under his own name and in his own person, has never been a general object of worship.

The oracle proceeds to illuminate Satan's role in the regime of the Antichrist, but, unfortunately, the KJV offers a hard to usnderstand translation. The subject of "acknowledge" is not "he," the Antichrist, but the word wrongly translated "whom."

The oracle should read: "And he will do this [that is, honor his god with precious things] in the fortresses of forces with an alien god: any who acknowledge him [the alien god] he [the Antichrist] will greatly honor, and he will make them rule over many, and the land he will divide for a reward."
Daniel 11:39

In the phrase "with an alien god," the preposition is substantially equivalent to the English "with." It can be understood to mean "in the service of," and the whole phrase can be viewed as modifying "forces." Thus, the forces occupying the fortresses where the Antichrist will honor his god will have this same god as their commander.

The oracle reveals that the Antichrist will award wealth and power only to those who are willing to acknowledge Satan. Since the description of the Antichrist's religion precedes the account of his conquests, we infer that his worship of Satan will begin early in his career, before he usurps power over three kingdoms. But whether his alliance with diabolical power will be public knowledge then, we cannot tell. [b]It is likely that until the world acclaims him as ruler, he will hide his Satanism from all but his closest confederates.[/b]

Sincerely,

Walter

2009/5/24 22:15
savannah

Re: the beast of Revelation

anonymity,

Your post addressed to Savannah says,

Quote:

"Savannah,

I think you are saying that there will be no literal anti Christ and that it has already been fulfilled in Nero. I think you might also hold to amillenialism and so forth as well. I will say that there is truth to what you are saying and Nero was much like the anti Christ but I would only say that he was an anti Christ and not the anti Christ. I believe that the book of revelation will be fulfilled literally just as in Daniel where literal Kingdoms came about so the revived Roman empire will come literally."

Re: "I believe that the book of revelation will be fulfilled literally..."

No doubt that it has (with the exception of the consummation of all things) if we'd not read it with the preconception of a futurist interpretation but rather considering the language and words which are written and the time of the prophecy,by whom it was written and to whom. This being done, along with the light which only the Holy Spirit gives which leads us and guides us in all truth,may we be kept from the conjectures and speculations of our own and others.

I offer this second post on this thread to any and all,that by it the Spirit of Truth may convince the readers and be the Witness in their spirit,if indeed such be His Truth and His Word.

The Beast of Revelation

By Don Walker

Over the years I have heard probably every imaginable, (and some unimaginable), “candidate” for the Beast of Revelation. Everyone from Henry Kissinger to Ronald Wilson Reagan (whose three names each have six letters) has appeared at the top of the “Beast list” at one time or another. Adolf Hitler or Benito Mussolini were popular candidates for the job in the late 1930’s and early 40’s. Recently, in some circles, Prince Charles has emerged as a contender for the title. Of course, I would be amiss, if I left out William Jefferson Clinton. I have a friend who strongly believed that Gorbachev was the “prophesied one." The mark on his head being a Hebrew “6."

As we approach the end of the millennium, I am sure some interesting books will arise to tell us who the “real” Beast is. Without a doubt these books will make a great deal of money for the authors and the publishers, even though they will be no more Biblical than the National Inquirer is factual. The truly, serious student of the Bible is not interested in speculation based on newspaper headlines, instead of Scriptural exegesis.

Most of us were taught many things that we accepted without truly being “Bereans” (Acts 17:11). We must be willing to examine what we have been taught in the light of the Scriptures. I would encourage you to be a “Berean” concerning what is contained in the following pages.

“Jumping to Conclusions”

Before we turn to the book of the Revelation we must first deal with some false assumptions concerning the Beast. People have often “jumped to conclusions," without Biblical support for their “jumping." We must not “leap” over the lack of Biblical evidence to support our conclusions.

A classic example of “jumping to conclusions” without having Biblical evidence to do so, is the assumption that the Beast of Revelation and the Antichrist are one and the same. Most books on Bible prophecy begin with this foundational assumption. In most instances, the terms are used interchangeably.

My question is “Where is your Biblical evidence to support this conclusion?”. There is a “missing link” between the Antichrist and the Beast. What is the Scriptural basis to assume that they are the same person? The Bible describes them in distinctively different ways.

The Antichrist

Antichrist is a term used exclusively in two books of the New Testament: 1 John and 2 John. Contrary to popular assumption the word “antichrist” does not appear in the book of the Revelation; John only uses this term in his
first two epistles, with a specific definition.

The term antichrist is used, by John, two ways: it identified a heresy which denied certain essential doctrines concerning Jesus, and it identified a person or persons holding that heretical view.

Concerning the “antichrist heresy," we are told that the spirit of the antichrist denied two basic truths about Jesus of Nazareth. One, that He had not come in the flesh, and secondly, that He was not from God (1 John 4:2-3). Antichrist is described in 1 John 4:1, as a spirit that is working through the false prophets that have gone out into the world. These false prophets teach that Jesus Christ has not come in the flesh. In this they deny the doctrine of the Incarnation (the belief that God became a man).

“Who is the liar but the one who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the antichrist, the one who denies the Father and the Son.” (1 John 2:22)

An antichrist denied that Jesus was the Christ, the Messiah (Anointed One) prophesied in the Old Testament and anticipated by the Jewish people. In denying this truth about the Son, an antichrist denied the Father as well, because the Father had made His Son Jesus the Christ.

The people who followed this heresy were called “antichrists” (1 John 2:18, 2 John 7). How does John describe these people? They are characterized by four attributes.

First, we see that these antichrists were contemporaries of John who were at work in the first century. John clearly states that the spirit of the antichrist “is already in the world” (1 John 4:3).Those who would have us believe that the antichrist is still yet to come must explain why John was teaching the first century church how to recognize it. In 1 John 2:18, John called his own time “the last hour” because these false prophets had already come, just as Jesus had prophesied (Matt. 24:10-11).

Second, we know that the antichrists had been part of the church.

“They went out from us, but they were not really of us; for if they had been of us, they would have remained with us; but they went out, in order that it might be shown that they were not of us.” (1 John 2:19)

The antichrist heresy began with false teachers inside the church, and as such were the devil’s instrument to battle the church from within. The antichrists’ departure from the church was evidence that they did not truly belong to the church. Even so, they continued trying to lead believers astray (1 John 2:26). This same problem is addressed in John’s second
epistle.

“For many deceivers have gone out into the world, those who do not acknowledge Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh. This is the deceiver and the antichrist. Watch yourselves, that you might not lose what we have accomplished, but that we may receive a full reward. Anyone who goes too far and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God; the one who abides in the teaching, he has both the Father and the Son. If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your house, and do not give him a greeting; for the one who gives him a greeting participates in his evil deeds.” (2 John 7-11)

In this we see the third attribute: the antichrists worked by deception. They appeared to be spiritual teachers of truth, but were in reality “wolves in sheep’s clothing” (Matt. 7:15, 24:24).

Finally, we can see that the antichrists were recognizable. The discerning believer would be able to examine the teachings of the antichrists and distinguish truth from error. This was John’s purpose in writing about them: so that believers of his day could recognize these false teachers by his clear description of them, and avoid them.

The antichrist heresy was apparently an early form of gnosticism, which was a system of belief opposed to orthodox Christianity and prevalent in the second and third centuries. Gnosticism generally taught that matter was evil, that the Incarnation was an illusion, and that salvation was through knowledge.

There were various forms of gnosticism and many Gnostic heretics. Church history records that the arch-heretic of John’s day was a man by the name of Cerinthus. Church historian Philip Schaff relates a meeting between
John and Cerinthus recorded by Irenaeus:

“On meeting in the public bath at Ephesus the Gnostic heretic Cerinthus, who denied the incarnation of our Lord, John refused to remain under the same roof, lest it might fall.”

In 1 John 2:18, John states that “the antichrist is coming” and “many antichrists have come." If John had one particular man in mind as the Antichrist, it is possible that that man was Cerinthus.

The Time of the Revelation

Now, let us turn our attention to the book of the Revelation and in particular, the one referred to as “the Beast."

But, before we can turn to those passages where the Beast is mentioned, we must deal with some basic issues of interpreting the Revelation. It seems that most people today have not read the first verse of this book, which
would go along way in helping them interpret it. Take note of verse 1:

“The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to show to His bond-servants, the things which must shortly take place....”

Notice verse 3:

“.... and heed the things which are written in it; for the time is near”

We cannot ignore John’s use of these words, because they supply us with important information to the interpretation of this book. Whereas, most believers are awaiting the events described in the book of the Revelation to find their fulfillment in the future, John clearly tells us that the prophecies of Revelation would begin to come to pass within a very short period of time of his writing. He dogmatically states that the events of Revelation were “shortly” to take place, and that the time is “near." Both of these words are significant.

The first is the Greek word tachos, translated “shortly”. The Arndt-Gingrich Greek lexicon lists the following meanings under the tachos entry: “speed," “at once," “without delay," “soon," “in a short time," “shortly."

If you look up Revelation 1:1 in any modern translation you will find that the idea clearly exhibited is that of the very near occurrence of the events of Revelation. This term also occurs in Revelation 2:16, 3:11, and 22:6,7,12,20. Even a cursory reading of these verses unavoidably leads to the conclusion that John expected these things to happen “shortly” or “soon."

The second Greek word is eggus, which is translated as “near” (Rev. 1:3, 22:10). This term literally means “at hand” (John 6:4, 7:2). According to Arndt-Gingrich, when used of temporal relationships it signifies “near” or “soon." Its importance in our context is clearly that of temporal nearness. The events bracketed by these statements were expected, by the apostle John, to begin taking place at any moment. They were near!

There is a final Greek word that John uses, which also speaks of time. The Greek word mello, which means “about to” (Rev. 1:19, 3:10) emphasizes John’s anticipation of the soon occurrence of his prophecy. When found in both the verb forms appearing in Revelation 1:19 and 3:10, this term means “be on the point of, be about to." A number of Bible translations confuse the matter when they translate the word properly in Revelation 3:10 but improperly in Revelation 1:19. According to Young’s Literal Translation of the Bible, Revelation 1:19 reads: “Write the things that thou hast seen, and the things that are, and the things that are about to come [Greek word- mello] after these things." The leading interlinear versions of the New Testament concur.

John, with the use of these Greek words, clearly reveals that the events of Revelation would see their fulfillment in the first century. Therefore, the Beast of Revelation was a contemporary of John, rather than a political figure of the 20th century.

I will seek to properly lay out the evidence as to the identity of the Beast.

The Beast

“And I saw a beast coming up out of the sea, having ten horns and seven heads, and on his horns were ten diadems, and on his heads were blasphemous names." (Rev.13:1)

Most commentators agree that the imagery of the Beast shifts between what is called “generic” and “specific." Generically, the Beast represents a kingdom. In some passages the Beast has seven heads, which we are told
represent seven kings (Rev. 17:10). In other passages the term is used specifically to refer to an individual, one of the heads. For example, John instructs his readers to “calculate the number of the beast, for the number is that of a man” (Rev. 13:18). Most often when people speak of the Beast they are making specific reference to an individual.

In the first verse of Revelation 13, the Beast has ten horns with ten diadems, or crowns. He also has seven heads, which Revelation 17:9 tells us are “seven mountains." Most New Testament scholars recognize that the seven mountains represent the famous seven hills of Rome. The seven hills of Rome are mentioned in the writings of antiquity, both Christian and pagan. The ten horns, with the crowns, are in reference to the ten empirical provinces of Rome.

In the “generic” sense the Beast is an apocalyptic symbol of the Roman empire. The first century believer was more familiar with the Old Testament than most of us, and would have quickly recognized the similarities between the Beast of Revelation and the visions of Daniel. In Daniel, we find four beasts representing four kingdoms (Dan. 7:17). These four kingdoms are parallel to the four levels of Nebuchadnezzar’s statue in Daniel 2, which represented the empires of Babylon, Medo-Persia, Greece, and Rome. Thus, John’s readers would have recognized the Beast representing the kingdom ruling in that day.

But the Beast of Revelation can also have a specific identity as a man. Who is the individual that John calls the “Beast”? What clues has he left us to determine his identity?

Identifying the Beast

John has left us with two major “clues” as to the identity of the one he calls, “The Beast." Both of these clues point irrefutably to the same person, not someone who would be born in the 20th century (which would be of no relevance to his intended audience), but to none other than Lucius Domtius Ahenobarbus, better known as, Nero Claudius Caesar. Nero, and Nero alone, matches the specific expression of the Beast. This diabolical character meets the criteria laid down by the book of the Revelation itself.

The first “clue” for us to examine is Revelation 13:18, which says:

“Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for the number is that of a man; and his number is six hundred and sixty-six.”

Let us remember that John is writing from the isle of Patmos, where he has been imprisoned. This letter would have been, in all likelihood, carried off the island by Roman soldiers. John had to send his message in “code” lest his captors understand his reference to the emperor. Instead of openly stating who the “Beast” was, he left them a clue that every Hebrew could easily discern.

In ancient times, alphabets served a two-fold purpose. Letters functioned not only as phonetic symbols, but as numerals, as well. The Arabic numeral system, which we use today, was a later development. As a consequence, names had a numerical value. Throughout the ancient world, we find the practice of using the numerical value of a name, as a sort of cryptogram.

The Hebrew spelling of the name Nero Caesar was NRWN QSR (represented here by English letters). The sum of these numbers, which match each Hebrew letter, add up precisely to 666 as follows:

N = 50 R = 200 W = 6 N =50 Q = 100 S = 60 R = 200

Is this a coincidence? Or was John sending a message to his readers, which they could have calculated with relative ease?

Another interesting factor to consider is what is called the “textual variant." If you consult a Bible with marginal references you will find something quite intriguing. Regarding Revelation 13:18, your reference may say something to the effect: “Some manuscripts read 616." The fact is that the number 666 in some ancient manuscripts is actually changed to 616. But why? Was it changed by accident or intentionally?

The difference surely is no accident of sight made by an early copyist. The numbers 666 and 616 are not even similar in appearance -- whether spelled out in words or written in numerals. As textual scholars agree, it must be intentional.

A strong case has been made for the following probability. John, a Jew, used a Hebrew spelling of Nero’s name in order to arrive at the number 666. But when Revelation began circulating among those less acquainted with Hebrew, a well meaning copyist who knew the meaning of 666 might have intended to make its deciphering easier by altering it to read 616. It is certainly no mere coincidence that 616 is the numerical value of “Nero Caesar," when spelled in Hebrew by transliterating it from its more widely familiar Latin spelling. Such a conjecture would explain the rationale for the deviation: so that the non-Hebrew mind might more readily discern the identity of the Beast.

The second major “clue” John gives us is found in Revelation 17:9-10, which declares:

“Here is the mind which has wisdom. The seven heads are seven mountains on which the woman sits, and they are seven kings; five have fallen, one is, the other has not yet come; and when he comes, he must remain a little while.”

As we stated earlier, the seven mountains represent the seven hills of Rome. But John also tells us that they represent seven kings. Of these seven kings, he tells us five have already fallen. The sixth king is the one, who John says, is now reigning.

Who was this “sixth king”? Flavius Josephus, the Jewish historian of that period, clearly points out that Julius Caesar was the first emperor of Rome and that he was followed in succession by Augustus, Tiberius, Caligula, and Claudius. The sixth was none other than Nero (see Antiquities, books 18 & 19). This is also confirmed by Roman historians, Suetonius (Lives of the Twelve Caesars) and Dio Cassius (Roman History V).

In addition, John states, “the other has not yet come” (the seventh), “and when he comes, he must remain a little while." Following Nero came Galba, who reigned less than seven months.

Further Evidence

“And it was given to him to make war with the saints and to overcome them....”

(Revelation 13:7)

Nero was not only the sixth emperor of Rome, he was the first to persecute Christians. That persecution began in the middle of November 64 A.D. and continued until June 8, 68 A.D. when Nero committed suicide, a period of 42 months. Take note how this fits with Revelation 13:5, which says:

“And there was given to him a mouth speaking arrogant words and blasphemies; and authority to act for forty-two months was given him."

Is this just another coincidence, or is it more evidence from Scripture as to the identity of the Beast?

Furthermore, John prophesied the death that the Beast would die. The Beast not only slays by the sword, but ultimately is to die of a sword wound.

Revelation 13:10 tells us:

“If anyone leads into captivity, to captivity he goes; if anyone kills with the sword, with the sword he must be killed.”

The fact that Nero killed by the sword is well documented. Paul, for example, is said to have died under Nero by decapitation with a sword. Tertullian credits “Nero’s cruel sword” as providing the martyr’s blood as seed for the Church. He urges his readers to “Consult your histories; you will there find that Nero was the first who assailed with the imperial sword the Christian sect."

Likewise, history records that Nero took his own life with the sword. Roman historian Suetonius describes Nero’s death: “Then with the help of his secretary, Epaphroditus, he stabbed himself in the throat."

It is interesting, from a historical perspective, that Nero was actually referred to as a “beast” by his contemporaries. For instance, the pagan writer Apollinius of Tyana, who lived at the time of Nero, states: “In my travels, which have been wider than ever man yet accomplished, I have seen many wild beasts of Arabia and India; but this beast, that is commonly called a Tyrant, I know not how many heads it has, nor if it be crooked of claw, and armed with horrible fangs.... And of wild beasts you cannot say that they were ever known to eat their own mother, but Nero gorged himself on this diet."

Nero ruthlessly murdered his parents, his brother, his pregnant wife (whom he kicked to death) and other family members. He was a homosexual, who found sexual gratification in watching torture. He enjoyed dressing up as a
wild beast and raping male and female prisoners. He illuminated his garden parties with the bodies of Christians, covered with pitch and set aflame.

Roman historian Tacitus (56-117 A.D.) spoke of Nero’s “cruel nature” that “put to death so many innocent men." Roman naturalist Pliny the Elder (23-79 A.D.) described Nero as “the destroyer of the human race” and “the poison of the world." Roman satirist Juvenal (60-140 A.D.) speaks of “Nero’s cruel and bloody tyranny." Suetonius (70-160 A.D.), speaks of Nero’s “cruelty of disposition” evidencing itself at an early age. He documents Nero’s evil and states: “neither discrimination or moderation [were employed] in putting to death whosoever he pleased on any pretext
whatever."

The Beast Arising from the Dead

“And I saw one of his heads as if it had been slain, and his fatal wound was healed. And the whole earth was amazed and followed after the beast.”

(Revelation 13:3)

As we examine this verse and how it relates to the Beast, it is necessary to remember that John’s use of the term “Beast” is both specific and generic. Generically, the Beast represents the Roman Empire, while specifically, the Beast represents Caesar Nero.

Understanding the matters we have examined up to this point take us along way toward resolving the interpretive issue before us. The mortal wound to one of the heads is a wound which should have been fatal to the Beast i.e.; Roman Empire. This explains why that after the wound was healed and the Beast continued to live that “the whole earth was amazed and followed after the beast." The seven-headed beast seems indestructible, for the cry goes up:

“Who is like the beast and who is able to wage war with him?”

(Revelation 13:4b)

How does all this imagery apply to Rome and Nero?

At this point we need to examine a significant series of events surrounding the death of Nero. A perfectly reasonable and historical explanation of the “revived” Beast can be found. This is were may interpretations “stumble," they forget the original audience for whom the book was intended and, consequently, overlook the history of the era.

When Nero committed suicide on June 8, 68 A.D., two major inter-related historical situations faced the world. Both carried with them catastrophic consequences.

First, with the death of Nero, the Julian-Claudian line of emperors came to an end. In other words, the blood line which had received worship from the Roman Empire had been cut off forever. To the superstitious, pagan world this was most significant. This was no small matter to the subjects of the Roman Empire.

Second, catastrophe upon catastrophe followed the death of Nero and the extinction of the Roman Empire’s founding family. The empire found itself engulfed in civil wars, to the extent that “eternal Rome” was endanger of being reduced to rubble.

Josephus writes concerning these civil wars: “I have omitted to give an exact account of them, because they are well known by all, and they are described by a great number of Greek and Roman authors."

Tacitus writes: “The history on which I am entering is that of a period rich in disasters, terrible with battles, torn by civil struggles, horrible even in peace. Four emperors failed by the sword; there were three civil wars, more foreign wars and often both at the same time.... In Rome there was more awful cruelty.... Besides the manifold misfortunes that befell
mankind, there were prodigies in the sky and on the earth, warnings given by thunderbolts, and prophecies of the future, both joyful and gloomy, uncertain and clear. For never was it more fully proved by awful disasters of the Roman people or by indubitable signs that gods care not for our safety, but for our punishment.”

Suetonius wrote, concerning the long months following Nero’s death, that the empire “for a longtime had been unsettled, and as it were, drifting, through the usurpation and violent death of the three emperors, was at last taken in hand and given stability by the Flavian family.”

Titus Flavius Vespasianus restored political stability and established a new dynasty of the Roman Empire. Under the rule of Vespasian the empire was revived and the Beast lived once more.

The relevant verses in Revelation regarding the death and revivification of the Beast are most readily understood as prophesying the earth-shaking historical events after the suicide of Nero in 68 A.D. Rome died, as it were, but returned to life once again.

Conclusion

The view I have espoused here may, in all likelihood, run contrary to what you have been previously taught. My encouragement to you, would be to examine this teaching in light of the Scriptures. Bearing in mind John’s original audience (Rev. 1:4,11), his call for their careful consideration (Rev. 1:3; 13:9), and his contemporary expectation (Rev. 1:1, 3).

David Chilton in his book, Days of Vengeance, makes this comment:

“It is significant that ‘all the earliest Christian writers on the Apocalypse, from Irenaeus down to Victorinus of Pettau and Commodian in the fourth, and Andreas in the fifth, and St. Beatus in the eighth century, connect Nero, or some Roman emperor, with the Apocalyptic Beast’. There should be no reasonable doubt about this identification. St. John was writing to first-century Christians, warning them of things that were “shortly” to take place. They were engaged in the most crucial battle of history, against the Dragon and the evil Empire which he possessed. The purpose of the Revelation was to comfort the Church with the assurance that God was in control, so that even the awesome might of the Dragon and the Beast would not stand before the armies of Jesus Christ.”

2009/5/25 1:06Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy