SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Divorce and Re-marriage

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
PosterThread
HomeFree89

Indiana

Re:

Quote:

clintstone wrote:
Good post savannah , I know that it is okay to remarry after a divorce . The bible does not exspressly prohibit remarrying after a divorce , it just says that someone is an adulterer if they do . It seems to me that the guilty party in the divorce would be the adulterer until they repented and turned from the wickedness { selfishness ] that led to the demise of the divorce, what ever that selfishness [ sin ] may be , it is absolutely forgiveable by Jesus and thereby absolutely absolving the guilty. when the sin is forgiven remarraige is allowable and blest in God's sight .

Can you back your post up with any Scripture? I'm not wanting to stir up this controversial topic, just wanting to know if you have any scriptural backing for what you posted.

If I'm understanding you right, then since lust isn't expressly forbidden (it's just called adultery of the heart) it's ok. Am I understanding you correctly?

2009/3/17 19:26Profile
Dawn10379

Re:

Quote:

Earendel wrote:
So what are they to do? Divorce the one they are presently married to and seek out their first spouse and remarry that one. Sometimes this is not possible at all; …do to the remarriage of the other spouse or some other sin.

Hi! =0)

This is precisely what they will tell you to do. I was told last summer that if someone gets a divorce, remarries and then becomes a Christian - they are to divorce the current spouse and leave behind any children involved.

The person who told me this had read an article about a woman who did just this, therefore they made it gospel for everyone else because of one womans conviction.

The article also stated (as I am told) that the woman never thought anything of it until reading another article about divorce and remarriage (I won't say by who). Her former spouse was already remarried, as I understand it, so she was to remain single.

I think this is a very scary doctrine to hold on to. I wonder what God will have to say to someone who abandons their family based on what a certain group holds as law, when it is just a different perspective on select scripture.

I once read this in a book:

"It has been rightly said that a person can prove anything by taking Bible verses out of context. Let me demonstrate how one can "biblically" prove that it is God's will for believers to commit suicide. All you have to do is lift two verses out of their historical setting and paste them together:

"And he [Judas]...went...and hanged himself" (Matthew 27:5)
"Then said Jesus...'Go and do the same'" (Luke 10:37b).

While this is an outrageous example of the "cut-and-paste" approach, it makes a profound point. Without understanding the historical context of the NT, Christians have managed to build doctrines and invent practices that have fragmented the Body of Christ into thousands of denominations."

Taken from The Untold Story of the New Testament Church by Frank Viola pages 20-21

2009/3/17 20:48Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Divorce and Re-marriage

Is there any biblical precedence for re-marriage, other than the death of a spouse ?

No. Based on Luke 16:18: Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband committeth adultery. Also Mark 10:11.

A child can understand this.

I assume you know as such else you would not be asking.

Blessings,

ginnyrose

2009/3/17 21:01Profile
Earendel

Central Alberta, Canada

Re:

Quote:

ginnyrose wrote:
Is there any biblical precedence for re-marriage, other than the death of a spouse ?

No. Based on Luke 16:18: Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband committeth adultery. Also Mark 10:11.

A child can understand this.

I assume you know as such else you would not be asking.

Blessings,

ginnyrose

What about:

Matthew 5:32
But I say to you that whoever divorces his wife for any reason [b]except sexual immorality [/b]causes her to commit adultery; and whoever marries a woman who is divorced commits adultery.

Matthew 19:9
And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is divorced commits adultery.”

I understand this to say - Jesus said the grounds for divorce is sexual immorality.

Am I not understanding this correctly? Would you explain these scriptures?

Also,

1 Corinthians 7:26-28 (making reference to when a person is called by the Lord)

26 I suppose therefore that this is good because of the present distress—that it is good for a man to remain as he is: 27 Are you bound to a wife? Do not seek to be loosed. Are you loosed from a wife? Do not seek a wife. 28 But even if you do marry, you have not sinned; and if a virgin marries, she has not sinned. Nevertheless such will have trouble in the flesh, but I would spare you.

Just seeking to understand.

2009/3/18 2:12Profile
Lysa

This world is not my home anymore.

Quote:
HomeFree89 wrote:
Edit: Check out Matthew 7:22-23, "Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."

That sure would look like fruit, wouldn't it?

If you look closer, all the things Jesus mentioned are gifts and not fruit; prophesy, miracles, and casting out demons are gifts; Jesus never said we would know them by their gifts.

[i]"So then, you will know them by their fruits.[/i]
Matthew 7.16, 20

[i]The Spirit, on the other hand, brings a harvest of love, joy, peace; patience towards others, kindness, benevolence; good faith, meekness, self-restraint.[/i]
Galatians 5.22-23 WEY

2009/3/18 7:05Profile
Lysa

This world is not my home anymore.

Quote:
HomeFree89 wrote:
Please bear with me. I know I am young, but this is how I see it in the Bible. If God says that those who marry a divorced woman commit adultery (Matt. 5:32), do you really think He would use them to start a movement?

We both agree that God will not let any sinner or anyone living a false life lead a movement of His. But for those that are not sinners or not leading a false life; [i]there is no condemnation in Christ[/i] (Romans 8.1) (John 3.18). Do you agree with that statement?

We get hung up on a person's sin instead of keeping our eyes on Jesus. I am not saying ... [b]I repeat...[/b] I am NOT saying "all divorced people are going to be holy, run out, start preaching and start a movememnt. No, far from it. It's exactly like anyone who has sinned, there are the truly repentant and there are those who aren't. I'm not talking about the those who aren't.

[i]1 SINCE then it is by faith that we are justified, let us grasp the fact that we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.
2 Through him we have confidently entered into this new relationship of grace, and here we take our stand, in happy certainty of the glorious things he has for us in the future.
3 This doesn’t mean, of course, that we have only a hope of future joys––we can be full of joy here and now even in our trials and troubles.
4 These very things will give us patient endurance; this in turn will develop a mature character, and a character of this sort produces a steady hope,
5 a hope that will never disappoint us. Already we have the love of God flooding through our hearts by the Holy Spirit given to us.
6 ¶ And we can see that it was at the very time that we were powerless to help ourselves that Christ died for sinful men.
7 In human experience it is a rare thing for one man to give his life for another, even if the latter be a good man, though there have been a few who have had the courage to do it.
8 Yet the proof of God’s amazing love is this: [b]that it was while we were sinners that Christ died for us.[/b][/i]
Romans 5.1-8 Phillips

I dare say that there will be many once married / non-divorced people that Christ will say, "Depart from me, I never knew you" in that great and glorious Day so those who think they stand should take heed lest they fall (1 Cor 10.12; 2 Cor 10.12).

Romans 4.7-8; John 5.24; 2 Cor 5.17; Galatians 3.13; 1 Cor 1.30, 15.22;

You asked for verses from someone else, there a few; but you and others probably won't like them applied to divorced people! So I have a question to you and the others;

Are these Scriptures only good for you and your kind - the well ones or are they good for all who name the name of Christ? (Let your yea be yea or your nay nay James 5.12)

So Christ is either a respecter of persons or is He not. Acts 10:34 Yes or no?

2009/3/18 7:47Profile
HomeFree89

Indiana

Re:

edit: post deleted by homefree89

2009/3/18 9:28Profile
dunlow64God

Re:

I am divorced and remarried. I divorced before I came to know the Lord. If I didn't know any better and I was reading these posts, I would feel condemned and probably consider getting a divorce from my current husband. He had never been married. So he commited adultery when he married me...God's Word names many different kinds of sin. But thank God that He also names Someone who came to this world and gave His life to free us from that sin. I did not realize when I divorced and remarried that I was committing a sin against God. I was not that familiar with His Word. But God does not hold that against me. When I received salvation, I asked for forgiveness from ALL of my sins and I repented. He did not refuse me because I had been divorced and remarried. We come to Him by the gentle nudging of the Holy Spirit. He wouldn't have bothered with me if I could not be forgiven for being divorced and remarried. Why are we putting so much emphasis on this? What about a thread on lying??? Or maybe anger or foolish talk? They are sins. And there is scripture for these sins also.
Col 3:8 But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.
Col 3:9 Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;
Col 3:10 And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:
I know I have lied and gotten angry and I have fussed at my kids since coming to know my Lord. But He has not turned away from me because I have repented and He has forgiven. I am basically trying to say that God forgives us, no matter who we are or what we've done. Sin is sin. You can slap any name on it you want to, but it is still sin. There is no sin greater than another (except blaspheme of the Holy Spirit). All sin is great no matter the title it falls under. My Bible tells me that God forgives! If we ask, He will forgive. He is a merciful and gracious God. A longsuffering God and He is not willing that ANYONE should perish! Whether they have divorced and remarried or not. It's all under the Blood! Christ did not die for one and not the other. He died for all! I am not going to hell just because I am divorced and remarried! And I am not going to be used any less by God because I am. He uses anyone who is humble enough to be used. And I am not going to let this thread discourage me in anyway. And I pray that others who stumble upon it don't get discouraged by it either. I think discretion should be used when having posts such as this
because it could cause someone to doubt and perhaps even stumble in ther walk with God. Especially if they are a new believer. Thank you all for allowing me to put my two cents worth in! :-)
In Christ,
Wendy

2009/3/18 10:53Profile
Dawn10379

Re:

Quote:

dunlow64God wrote:
I know I have lied and gotten angry and I have fussed at my kids since coming to know my Lord. But He has not turned away from me because I have repented and He has forgiven. I am basically trying to say that God forgives us, no matter who we are or what we've done. Sin is sin. You can slap any name on it you want to, but it is still sin. There is no sin greater than another (except blaspheme of the Holy Spirit). All sin is great no matter the title it falls under. My Bible tells me that God forgives! If we ask, He will forgive. He is a merciful and gracious God. A longsuffering God and He is not willing that ANYONE should perish! Whether they have divorced and remarried or not. It's all under the Blood! Christ did not die for one and not the other. He died for all! I am not going to hell just because I am divorced and remarried! And I am not going to be used any less by God because I am. He uses anyone who is humble enough to be used. And I am not going to let this thread discourage me in anyway. And I pray that others who stumble upon it don't get discouraged by it either. I think discretion should be used when having posts such as this
because it could cause someone to doubt and perhaps even stumble in ther walk with God. Especially if they are a new believer.

Yes! =0) I agree with this 100%. Thank you for posting it.

2009/3/18 12:54Profile
Earendel

Central Alberta, Canada

Re:

Repentance to me has to do with the condition of the heart, and is what I am talking about.

My conversion and return to the Lord has been very profound to say the least.

The Lord has calld me, a divorced and remarried person. I am instructed by scripture not to put away my wife, the woman I am married to now, nor the children I have by her. I am to remain in the position that He called me and saved me. I am not permitted to divorce her, but if I do, I am to remain single, or else be reconcilled to her.

My repentance is true, and I stand on the righteousness which comes by faith in the finished work of Christ.

In Christ I have no sin, for He took my sin away and nailed it to the cross,
...and where there is no sin, the righteousness that the law of God requires is fufilled...thus is explained the righteousness by faith and Christ fulfilling the law.

How comes this righteousness? is by works? or is it by faith? Yes it is by faith, not by works...I am one of the elect of God and I know it, having repented of my sins and turned away from them, and turned to the God of my salvation with a pure and undefiled heart.

But He called me by election. I am grateful that I know Him and that my name is written down in heaven. And if I pass judgement on unbelief and sin, it is because it has been established already in scripture...but then it is not I who makes the judgement, but it is the Lord, to whom alone belongs judgement.

Make no mistake in understanding, Judgement is coming on the world. Even so, come quickly Lord Jesus. WWIII will be upon us shortly when peace will be taken away from the world. Billions will die in this coming war, and will be far more fierce than any other previously. The time of the Great Tribulation will follow immediately after. The days are upon us now.

2009/3/18 13:31Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy