SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Catholic One World Religion?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
rreighe

Re:

wait are you talking about all Assembly of God churches? or just the ones around you? i have been going to an assembly of God church lately and i feel like i have been able to connect with God better by the way the preach. they dont have pre-written prayers at the church i have been going to. i talked with the pastors and they seem real biblical and spiritual. they say that we need to focus on Jesus and teach us how to repent.

the church in my city that i know of that has been falling away is a luthern church. (italics are my guess) [i]maybe it isn't a whole denomination at large in a way that is falling but individual churches... in some cases. or most of a denomination but a few churches here and there keep the holy spirit within and stay Godly.[/i] i dont know for sure.

2009/3/12 20:22Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi rreighe...

Brother Jim is speaking about an Assemblies of God church in the Detroit area. Most AG churches that I have attended are very different...even with those that are achieving "mega" church status. The Assemblies of God fellowship is far from perfect...and there is a shifting dichotomy in regard to the more conservative, holiness driving churches in the fellowship and the more modern churches that seem to strive to be more "appealing" to the people of this world.

My wife and I recently began attending a small Assembly of God church in the San Francisco Bay area. We didn't even know that it was an AG congregation...because nothing seemed to indicate it as such. It is small (less than 100) but has a great pastor with a gift of teaching. We have been blessed greatly.

It is sad that there might be some churches within this fellowship that would actually resort to something so ridiculous and unholy. Yet this is becoming a pattern in modern churches. Why? Perhaps the pastors just don't know the Lord well enough...that they would offer a sacrifice of this world (like U2 songs) as worship. I suppose that we should be close enough to Christ that, when we are in intimacy with Him, we would know His heart.

We need revival. The conditions are dark...but the fields are indeed white.

2009/3/12 21:11Profile

Re:

Quote:
Hi rreighe...

Brother Jim is speaking about an Assemblies of God church in the Detroit area.

Thanks Chris, yes I was speaking only of a specific church here in Detroit and the local churches in this area as a generality. Sorry for the confusion rreighe. If you have found a place where the word of God is taught faithfully and the body of Christ is being built up rather then having one man usurp the Holy Spirit's control and authority then praise God.

In Christ - Jim

2009/3/12 21:19
wayneman

Michigan

Re:

Quote:

ccchhhrrriiisss wrote:
Hi rreighe...

Brother Jim is speaking about an Assemblies of God church in the Detroit area. Most AG churches that I have attended are very different...even with those that are achieving "mega" church status. The Assemblies of God fellowship is far from perfect...and there is a shifting dichotomy in regard to the more conservative, holiness driving churches in the fellowship and the more modern churches that seem to strive to be more "appealing" to the people of this world.

That has been my experience with AG churches, too. Some, like Times Square Church, are rock-solid; others have abandoned Pentecost in favor of the McChurch Model.

When I was living in Southern California there was an AG megachurch famous for its spectacular Christmas cantatas. One year ('91, I think) they planned an especially magnificent Yuletide extravaganza. At the crescendo of the "Living Christmas Tree" performance, an angel was to soar over the congregation and alight gracefully atop the Tree! Unable to secure the services of an angel, the organizers had an FX company string a complex network of cables across the sanctuary and hired a stuntman to do the job. It went off well in rehearsal, but on opening night, the cable apparatus went haywire and the angel jerked to a halt in mid-flight and started spinning in circles, slowly at first, but faster and faster until he was whirling at an alarming rate! The angel started screaming and cursing, then vomited on the congregation. The Living Christmas Tree "bulbs" kept singing (albeit with dismayed countenances) as the multitude stampeded out the door.

Surely a picture-parable for the whole "Church Growth" movement.

2009/3/12 21:48Profile

Re:

While I do not agree with all AOG doctrine, the AOG churches and pastors I know are very good... and I know that this U2 thing must be an isolated case.

Krispy

2009/3/13 6:41
rreighe

Re:

ok what is up with the "u2" stuff? what is that?

this is getting very confussing very fast. i'm trying to keep up but yeah... hmm..

in the name the world will one day love to say;
christ.
--allan

2009/3/13 19:54Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy