Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Dating

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
BVO

ohio

Re:

I believe patience and contentment are key. My wife and I were married before we committed our lives to Jesus as Lord, but we saw Him moving His hand in our lives toward our salvation "while we were yet sinners". My oldest daughter is now going on 16 and we have discussed at length dating vs courtship. First point is that dating is used mainly as a recreational activity. Dating as a means of intentionally determining to know someone better with marriage as the goal is closer to courting anyhow. The amount of information on dating in the scriptures is net 0. The bible speaks much about marriage and relationships as has already been said. We have seen God move in our home choices and vehicle choices with such clarity it has been amazing. This is where patience and contentment come in. Be patient and our timing is not God's timing always, and be content with where He places you until He moves you. The part that is amazing to me is to look back on choices that we almost made that paled in comparison to where God "miraculously" set everything up for our good. Just remember, no person can foil God's best for you and nobody can steal the best out from under you. There are not hurry up and do this before the opportunity passes deals with God , just a steady reliance on God's hand. Satan will try to circumvent the process with manipulation and gimmics. Make sure to use the time waiting to work on your Godly character so that you are prepared to be the man of God leader of your home that He is preparing you to be. Paul Washer has a 2 part teaching on Marital Bliss and how we set ourselves up for false expectations based on the worlds system. Trust in the Lord with ALL your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In ALL your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths. Love in Christ, Barry

2009/2/23 6:30Profile
BVO

ohio

Re:

Just a couple of links that I found. I hope I did them right. I am technologically challenged :-)

Dating Sermon- Paul Washer
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=13918

Destroying Pop Culture Views on Marital Bliss Part 1 - Paul Washer
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=14408

Destroying Pop Culture Views on Marital Bliss Part 2 - Paul Washer
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=14409

Happy listening, Barry

2009/2/23 6:48Profile
adamdawkins

Re:

I have to agree with the personal aspect of this. Recently I was made certain of the woman I'm going to marry, and we're getting engaged later this year.

I think there is a great danger in emphasising 'the one for you' because it can lead to an unrealistic expectation of how that person should be (i.e. 'perfect!'), rather I think we should focus on the guidelines that God lays out for marriage (e.g. not marrying a non-believer) and from there the focus should be on your responsibility to God to live the right way within marriage.

Personally I think it's far better that we accept that we've made a commitment before God to love our wife/husband according to all that He requires of us, rather than go into something hoping that God has made the right decision for us, with room for doubt if things get difficult.

That's just my personal opinion, and I could be wrong - there's no doubt that Lord has played a big part in my relationship with my girlfriend so I can't say that it's entirely our choice.

Zac Poonen in his book "Where do I go from here, God?" expresses the belief that the one to marry is entirely God's decision, and we should seek His will with humility - which is always what we should be doing.

Personally, I agree with the comparison to honest work.

I hope that helps,

Adam

2009/2/23 9:38Profile
joeSOC

Melbourne Australia

Re:

I agree with you 100 %

2009/2/23 17:38Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy