SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Where did Cain's wife come from?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
HeartSong

Re:

But are we not all brothers and sisters in Christ?

Related by blood, that being His?

2009/2/18 11:53Profile

Re:

ok... let's not think to hard about this! (or over spiritualize it!)

Krispy

2009/2/18 13:45
hulsey

Missouri

Re:

Quote:
Have you made your move yet? Still looking forward to meeting.

It's in the planning stage still. I'm working on a transfer to the Fredericktown Wal Mart right now. Once that's done then I'll be on my way. Definately looking forward to meeting you as well.

(glad to see the forums are back up!)

2009/2/18 16:18Profile

Re: Where did Cain's wife come from?

The bible never starts the family tree with daughters, it starts it with the first born son. Eve could have had several daughters before she had Cain and Abel. And marriage at 12 years of age would not be uncommon as a womans body in those days would have been a lot stronger to bear children because of the atmospheric conditions, the air they breathed and the earth being unpolluted. However that may be up for debate, but Eve having daughters is not. They had to come from somewhere and since Eve is the mother of all living we can safely assume that the wife of Cain came from her. It would not surprise me if the growth factor was faster as well because of the greenhouse that they were living under, being that there was water above the firmnant and the water beneath it.

2009/2/18 19:21
MJones

Missouri

Re:

Quote:

hulsey wrote:
Sometimes our western linear thought process gets in the way of Biblical texts that are not so pinned to a strict chronological flow. Taking Seth for example. We're not even told whether he was the 3rd child the 5th or even the 50th. I suppose that since Adam was 130yrs old when Seth was born, possibly a large number of children had already been born to Adam and to his offspring. Seth could have had third and fourth cousins entering adult years while he was learning to crawl.

Your thought here has stirred a thought in me. Since it is entirely possible, as you say, that Seth could have had third or fourth cousins by the time he was born, it stands to reason then that Seth could have married one of these cousins instead of a sister.

My point makes me wonder if there is a possible scenario where Seth's choice of wife might be a little farther removed from the brother/sister situation that we usually associate with 'Kentuckians' for example.

Is there a combination that could have produced a healthier offspring which would result in the lineage which became the nation of Israel? Maybe that is why God wanted all the other nations wiped out - the brother/sister effect.

Way out speculation, just for the fun of it.

2009/2/21 14:54Profile
jlosinski

North Pole, Alaska

Re:

This question was posed at a creation seminar conducted by Answers in Genesis at University of Alaska that I attended this last thursday. AIG staffer Mike Riddle presented the following answer; Cain married a sister, with virtually no risk of genetic mutations in their offspring, however, by the time the Law was given in Leviticus, the effects of the curse were great enough that "inbreeding" would have resulted in major deformities in the offspring of siblings. But don't take my word on it. ;-)

2009/2/21 21:19Profile
hulsey

Missouri

Re:

To echo jlosinski's reply,

It's likely that, as the gene pool of mankind became increasingly corrupt, that God forbid the Isrealites from marrying close relatives when He gave the instructions to Moses.

2009/2/22 0:39Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy