SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : thou's, thus', shall's and -eths, are they necessary??

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

Re:

Quote:

spinalmanu wrote:
I do appreciate the third person plural/singular seeing as my first language is french and "vous" vs "tu" can give more information than simply "you." However, the context of the phrase will sometimes make this unnecessary which is probably why modern english no longer uses it.

Compare,

"Verily, verily I say unto [u]you[/u], [u]you[/u] must be born again"

...with...

"Verily, verily I say unto [u]thee[/u], [u]ye[/u] must be born again."

...in light of the second/third person relationship. Both statements seem to say different things.

2009/2/16 9:30Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re:

There has been some confusion in this thread about thee/thou/ye/you and which is singular and plural.

Thee/Thou is singular. Ye/You is plural.

Note Luke 22:31-32 for an example. "Sift you" (plural - all the apostles), "prayed for thee" (singular - Peter).

As for a scholarly citation on the usage, I believe Joel Beeke (President of Puritan Reformed Theological) discusses this in his defense of the KJV.

With care in Christ,
Taylor

2009/2/16 11:34Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi TaylorOtwell...

From what I have understood, "thee" was simply the objective case (well, usually) of the word "thou."

thou = nominative (subject of the sentence)
thee = accusative (object of the sentence)
thy/thine = genitive (indication of possession)

While there isn't a distinction in modern English between the singular and plural forms of the word "you," is this enough to warrant [i]criticism[/i]? Many of the KJV or Quaker websites seem to have done just that. Yet the KJV also combines four (or more) words into one (love) -- and these aren't mere variations between singular/plural or nominative/objective distinctions.

If any of you (plural) have any links from a website or a citation regarding this issue, please let me know. I am interested enough to look further into it. Thanks!

:-)

2009/2/16 12:56Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy