SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Grinch People Are Back Again

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re: we agree on KJV. yipee, celebration time, etc. . . .

Quote:
You said about me, "And by constantly harping on it... that is what you're doing." Have you failed to take notice of what I said in my last reply? You started this thread with a title loaded for bear and now you are criticizing me for being the bear? I did not start a critical thread about the popular holiday. If an opening presents itself I will consider stepping into a thread, it is an open forum in that regard, is it not? This is not the only subject I have posted on, either.

The title of the thread was not made up by me... it is the title of Charlie's article. Your beef about the title should be addressed to him, not me.

Secondly, it wasnt calling someone like yourself (a person with convictions about the holiday) a Grinch... it was aimed at liberal politicians, the ACLU and other "politically correct" people. Surely you know that I was not lumping people like you in with those folks.

Quote:
If we were able to speak one-on-one it would be much easier to resolve differences. I would have none between us if it were possible. But when something as pressing as the man made holiday comes up, if I could not speak out I pray God would send others to do so.

Considering all that is going on in the world today I hardly consider Christmas to be a "pressing" matter.

I do agree we probably would have a much different perspective of each other if we were to meet in person. In fact, I bet you would like me. I'm a teddy bear. :-)

Quote:
I call the months and days of the week by their common names BUT they are not promoted by me to be Holy names, as is Christmas - that man made holiday we have been discussing.

Again, I'm convinced you totally missed the point of the article. He wasnt saying that Christmas is a "holy" name... he was saying that [b]Christ[/b] is a holy name, and it is that name [b]Christ[/b] that people find so offensive. And he is right. And scripture says the same thing.

Quote:
I have come to realize that sentiment and attachments are simply worldly emotions that should not take preeminence over my attention to and worship of God through His Son & my Saviour Jesus. I learned that from one of the Puritan writers who wrote about God's Providence, not certain which one. They said for instance, if I had an unnatural attachment to a pet or husband, God in his Providence could take that pet or husband away to prune me and make me grow towards Him. Maybe God in his marvelous Providence took away the marvel and magic of that holiday from me to enable me to grow closer to Him. I thank Him for His Wisdom.

And in your case that is perhaps what happened. If so... praise God! In my case I find the holiday to be one where I draw close to Him. I take a few days off and spend at least one of them in my prayer closet... seeking His face. Rejoicing in so great a salvation. Seeking guidance for the coming year. It's revival time for me. I look forward to it.

I also enjoy the music of the season, my family and friends around me... we give gifts because of the common love we share.

God is honored in both our situations. Sometimes Christians find it hard to believe that God deals with different people differently. But He does. We think that because God has led us to do or not do something that that means this must be the way it is for everyone... but God deals with each of us individually.

For me... I eat meat offered to idols with complete freedom. For you, you do not because your conscience will not let you. And you know what scripture says? We're both right!

Krispy

2008/12/17 8:34
ifmypeople

Re: Why I Pounced

Mr. Krispy didn't you write earlier that you were going to stay away from the annual christmas debate on this forum? Please consider dissussing this lively topic further privately, by email or phone. Now go deck your halls and not your brothers...fal la la la la ....
Your brother in Jesus, Rob in New York

2008/12/17 9:14Profile

Re:

Welcome to SI, ifmypeople.

No, this is a public forum and so far this is has been a relatively friendly discussion. Therefore there is no need to go private. This is a [b]public[/b] forum.

Secondly, yes I did intend to stay out of the debate. So far I have done just that. I'm not debating the merits of celebrating or not celebrating... which is a debate I am refraining from. What I [b]am[/b] debating is the fact that there is grace and freedom for BOTH sides of the coin. I'm arguing that the brethren may not all celebrate, but we [b]can[/b] all agree that we see things differently at times, and that on benign issues such as this we should not sit in judgement of one another.

Thats the debate I'm involved in... not Christmas. My points can be applied to any number of issues.

Krispy

2008/12/17 9:31
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
What I [b]am[/b] debating is the fact that there is grace and freedom for BOTH sides of the coin. I'm arguing that the brethren may not all celebrate, but we [b]can[/b] all agree that we see things differently at times, and that on benign issues such as this we should not sit in judgment of one another.
Krispy

Amen Brother! I totally agree, I guess I should never post the kind of Truck I drive, someone will sure come here and tell me their many reasons I should not drive the type vehicle. I feel "some" not all Christians are way to Judgmental and at times should really just keep quite if for nothing else to keep the strife level down, regardless of how bad they want to interject their personal opinion. This is one of the reasons that I sincerely believe some the lost sheep stay lost, I have been personally told this by many unbelievers about how judgmental Christians are and I bet some of you have been told the same at some point, how sad.

2008/12/17 10:24Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
I guess I should never post the kind of Truck I drive, someone will sure come here and tell me their many reasons I should not drive the type vehicle

Most of us come to our convictions through real enough experiences, but in these profound and personally meaningful experiences we can often lose the ability to tell the difference between those and scripture.

We shift from expositing the written word to extrapolating it. And eventually we become so full of our own revelation that we become untouchable and drift off into doctrinal idiosyncratic confusion.

This is one reason I've learned to count spirit-led bible exposition as the only truly warranted prophetic utterance and everything else as the well-meaning opinions of sincere men and women. It is difficult enough to agree on what is written, but when we add the x-value of extra-biblical personal opinion into the equation, you can forget ever coming to terms with one another.

On the other hand, recognizing this scriptural scope creeping tendency in myself also, is one reason why I try to maintain a policy of understanding and grace towards men and women of deep and sincere convictions different then mine in the church. (edit: within vital requirements for orthodoxy) I respect strong convictions that are different then mine because I value their purity of heart towards the Lord. I am loathe to oppose any spiritual fire in this lukewarm age.

MC

2008/12/17 11:13Profile

Re:

Well put, Comp. Amen!

Krispy

2008/12/17 11:19
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:

Compton wrote:
This is one reason I've learned to count spirit-led bible exposition as the only truly warranted prophetic utterance and everything else as the well-meaning opinions of sincere men and women. It is difficult enough to agree on what is written, but when we add the x-value of extra-biblical personal opinion into the equation, you can forget ever coming to terms with one another.
MC

I agree! well said.
Mr. Bill

2008/12/17 11:20Profile
ifmypeople

Re: Public forum

Brother Kritter, Thank you for the welcome to SI forum. The SI website has been my homepage for many years and will be for many years to come. One story comes to mind in regards to the different ways christians celebrate the holidays. Brother Zac Poonen from India who has hundreds sermons on SI one said that he and the elder that has worked with him from the beginning, are one in every thing doctrinal and have never once in decades of ministry been at odds for one day. They have always been one. When it comes to christmas celebration Zac does not celebrate it as it is pagan based which he has written about in one of his books. Zac's partner in ministy puts up the xmas tree and celebrates to his hearts content. Is this a problem? No. love and grace cover these issues. so may we learn the same here on this public forum for the glory of God and for the edification of the saints. Who knows Krisp you may look back a couple of years from now and be on the other side of the christmas celebration issue. Kind of like the NIV to the KJV........your brother in Jesus, Rob

2008/12/17 14:23Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
Most of us come to our convictions through real enough experiences, but in these profound and personally meaningful experiences we can often lose the ability to tell the difference those and scripture.

Quote:
We shift from expositing the written word to extrapolating it. And eventually we become so full of our own revelation that we become untouchable and drift off into doctrinal idiosyncratic confusion.

Quote:

Quote:
On the other hand, recognizing this scriptural scope creeping tendency in myself also, is one reason why I try to maintain a policy of understanding and grace towards men and women of deep and sincere convictions different then mine in the church. (edit: within vital requirements for orthodoxy) I respect strong convictions that are different then mine because I value their purity of heart towards the Lord. I am loathe to oppose any spiritual fire in this lukewarm age.

What a well-written and profound post. Thank you for this, brother. I couldn't have expressed it in any better way.

Brother Paul

2008/12/17 14:29Profile

Re:

Quote:
Who knows Krisp you may look back a couple of years from now and be on the other side of the christmas celebration issue. Kind of like the NIV to the KJV........

One thing I've learned during my walk with the Lord... never say never! lol

Krispy

2008/12/17 14:58

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy