SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Grinch People Are Back Again

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread

The Grinch People Are Back Again

Here's another great article by Charlie Daniels that really gets to the heart of the issue.

Enjoy...

Krispy

[b]The Grinch People Are Back Again[/b]
by Charlie Daniels
Mnt. Juliet, TN

[i]We are soon celebrating a holy holiday called Christmas. That's spelled C-h-r-i-s-t mas and the first six letters in the name of the holiday should tip off any person with enough gray matter to tie their shoes that the day is about somebody or something called Christ.

Just as Thanksgiving is set aside to give thanks and Labor Day is set aside to pay tribute to working people, Christmas is set aside to celebrate the birthday of Christ Jesus and why that bothers some people so much is beyond my comprehension.

While they have no trouble with Santa Claus and the superficial paraphernalia surrounding the holiday, they scream, holler and almost become apoplectic when someone has the audacity to display a true symbol of Christmas in a public place.

The ACLU has expended thousands of man-hours for no other reason than to keep the symbols of this holiday out of public places, atheists have virtually bent over backwards to show their public disrespect for the day, and companies have forbidden their employees to say Merry Christmas to their customers for fear of offending the politically correct.

Now why is it that these people fight so hard against having this one season celebrated for its true meaning? What so offends them about the name of Christ?

May I state my humble opinion?

Jesus Christ, said, "I am the way, the truth and the life." Let's look at that statement.

He said "I am the way", and goes on to say that He is the only way, that there is no way for mankind to reach God except to go through Jesus.

Well in this day of multi-culturalism and political correctness, when New Age followers think themselves to be gods and goddesses and quaint eastern religions are considered to be chic and hip, if it feels good do it because all roads lead to the mountain top.

Anyway, it just doesn't sit well with these people for someone to declare the path to be so narrow that it has to come by way of the blood He shed and nothing else.

He said that He is the truth. Today truth has become subjective, graded on a curve and tailored to fit the situation at hand.

In this day of lying politicians, revisionist history and a media which slants the news in keeping with their political agenda, the truth can be hard to decipher, and for some harder to accept.

It's like Jack Nicholson said in the movie A Few Good Men, "You can't handle the truth!" and so it is with these people who are so terrified of a simple nativity scene. It represents the truth, and the truth would totally destroy the house of straw they're living in.

Jesus said, "I am the life." Jesus lived a life of service and sacrifice and in the end died the most horrible death any man has ever suffered.

His was a life of selfless love and He told us to take up our cross and follow Him. Evidently this doesn't suit the goals of the ACLU.

The Bible also says that Jesus is the light and brought light in the world but that man didn't want the light because it exposed their sin.

So why don't these people want these symbols of the birth of Christ in their sight? In my humble opinion, they don't want to be exposed to the light of truth and don't want anybody else to be exposed to it.

I suppose they think there's safety in numbers.

Actually these people are to be pitied and prayed for. They have been deceived by the father of all deceivers, and in this season of love and forgiveness it would be a righteous thing for all believers to pray that these people will be enlightened.

I write this acknowledging that I am a sinner and the only hope I have is in the one whose birth we honor during this season, Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God.

And my friends you will believe it too someday for every knee shall bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord.

From all the ranch hands at Twin Pines Ranch, the office and management staff, the fan club folks, the pickers, roadies and drivers in the CDB organization I wish each and every one of you, not "Happy Holidays," not "Season's Greetings," not "Happy Kwanza" or a "Peaceful Solstice" but a very blessed and Merry Christmas, spelled C-h-r-i-s-t mas.

What do you think?

Pray for our troops

God Bless America

Charlie Daniels

December 12, 2008[/i]

2008/12/16 8:39
savannah

Re: What does God think?

Charlie says, "We are soon celebrating a holy holiday called Christmas. That's spelled C-h-r-i-s-t mas..."

"The word Christmas comes from "Cristes Maesse", an early English phrase that means "Mass of Christ."" (World Book Encyclopedia). Many others have gone in-depth as to the origins of this so it is unnecessary that I do so.

Charlie says, "Today truth has become subjective, graded on a curve and tailored to fit the situation at hand." (see above) He is correct.

Charlie again says, "in this day of multi-culturalism and political correctness". He fits the mold of his own making and is self-condemned in his own words. He is guilty of that which he claims others are guilty of as he calls such people, "Grinch People". Charlie himself is the one who is deceived.

Charlie says, "In this day of lying politicians, revisionist history...", and I'd ask, who is the revisionist historian here!

One man has stated, "We regretfully admit that many Christians, whose salvation we could not doubt, are too badly misled by men's traditions and too blind to the importance of taking guidance solely from God's Word, to take any godly stand against this Xmas monstrosity, But all who acknowledge the supreme authority of the Holy Scriptures to direct in such matters, will most certainly have no more to do with this unholy holiday after their attention has been called to it...If they would not link the name of our blessed Lord with their heathen ceremonies, then we would hold our peace. If it were like the 4th of July celebration we would have nothing to say."

REVIVAL & SYNCRETISM

Many fail to see the connection between these two words. Or, rather the disconnection!

Many may be familiar with what revival is and means,yet many may be ignorant of how syncretism prevents such.

It may be helpful to borrow from some others to get some insight into this word syncretism and how it is relative to this thread,this post and this forum.

Syncretism is the process by which elements of one religion are assimilated into another religion resulting in a change in the fundamental tenets or nature of those religions. It is the union of two or more opposite beliefs, so that the synthesized form is a new thing. It is not always a total fusion, but may be a combination of separate segments that remain identifiable compartments. Originally a political term, "syncretism" was used to describe the joining together of rival Greek forces on the Isle of Crete in opposition to a common enemy.

The Bible reveals syncretism as a long - standing tool of Satan to separate God from his people. It strikes at the heart of the first commandment. Beyerhaus notes a threefold answer in the OT to the challenge of external syncretism: segregation, eradication, and adaptation.

The NT was born in a melee as rulers sought to blend cultures through syncretistic monotheism, all forms of the same God. All the gods of Egypt, Persia, and Babylon became Greek. Rome harbored all cults and mystery religions. Antioch, Ephesus, and Corinth each boasted syncretistic gods seeking to absorb the church.

NT confrontations include Simon Magus, the Jerusalem Council, the Epistle to the Colossians, combating Jewish thought mixed with early Gnosticism, and the rebuke of the church at Pergamum. Against these forces the church developed its creeds, canon, and celebrations.

The Christmas celebration date was set over against the festival of the birth of the sun god, Sol Invictus, in protest against a major attempt to create a syncretistic imperial religion.

Church history is filled with the struggle against syncretism from political, social, religious, and economic sources. Syncretistic pressure can be seen today. In our global - village context secular humanism seems to be the common ground for solving shared problems. The values of this world view strive for a place in the church's response to both the demands for conformity and the cries for liberation confronting it.

In the history of theology the term "syncretism" is used specifically to define two movements aimed at unification.

The supracultural teachings of Scripture must be judge of both culture and meaning as God works through men using various forms to bring all creation under his lordship.

SCRIPTURE, NOT CULTURE,CUSTOM,OR TRADITION OUGHT TO FORM THE CHRISTIAN WORLDVIEW.

Worldviews are learned as people grow up and absorb the culture around them. We call this process enculturation, or "the process by which children become functioning members of their own society." Each person is born into a culture and molded and shaped by it.

Over a period of time a worldview is formed in the mind of the child. This worldview is a distinctive way in which a people define reality which shapes their cultural allegiances and provides interpretations of the world. This worldview forms basic assumptions about reality which form cultural beliefs and behavior.

To refer, therefore to the birth of Christ as THE FIRST CHRISTMAS is wrong, and although it may appeal to people who place more value on sentiment than on fact, it is misleading.

Equally so is it false to assert that THE CHRIST WHO CAME AT CHRISTMAS WILL COME AGAIN, because the evidence is that He did not come at Christmas. Why not tell the truth? The Gospels give account of His birth, but after that there is no account of celebrating the birth of the Saviour. Christmas was started in the early 4th century by the Church of Rome. It is easy to understand that Roman Catholics would wish to observe Christmas - the name of their sacrament is in it, and they do not look for a Biblical warrant for their religion. However, it is extremely difficult to understand why Protestants, whose religion is based on 'Scripture only' - Sola Scriptura - should follow the Roman Catholic Church into Christmas. ARE PROTESTANTS LOSING THEIR PROTEST?

What happens within a Christian community which allows syncretism to develop and continue? What are some scriptural examples of it?

Syncretism is the reshaping of Christian beliefs and practices through cultural accommodation so that they consciously or unconsciously blend with those of the dominant culture. It is the blending of Christian beliefs and practices with those of the dominant culture so that Christianity looses it distinctive nature and speaks with a voice reflective of its culture.

Syncretism develops because the Christian community attempts to make its message and life attractive, alluring, and appealing to those outside the fellowship. Over a period of years the accommodations become routinized, integrated into the narrative story of the Christian community and inseparable from its life.

Syncretism thus occurs when Christianity opts into the major cultural assumptions of its society.

The first three commandments charge the Israelites to follow Yahweh exclusively--to distinctively stand before God without reliance on any other gods (Exod. 20:1-7). The oft-quoted and memorized Shema likewise exhorts Israel to hear that Yahweh is one and to love Him with all her heart, soul, and strength (Deut. 6:4-5). Moses exhorted the Israelites not to listen to the animistic practitioners prevalent in the land of Canaan but to listen to the prophet like Moses, whom God would raise up (Deut. 18:9-15). In other words, Israel was to live distinctively, not fusing the way of God with that of surrounding nations.

God's chosen people incessantly accommodated to the dominant cultures around her and blended their beliefs with hers. For example Jereboam, the first king of North Israel, built two golden calves because he feared that his followers might go to the Southern Kingdom and worship Yahweh in the temple. Ahab and Jezebel introduced the Phoenician cult of Baalism into Israel. Manasseh of Judah rebuilt the high places torn down by his father Hezekiah, erected altars of Baal, practiced astrology, and burned his son in the fire as a sacrifice to Molech. Because of this idolatrous syncretism, North Israel was banished into Assyrian captivity (2 Kings 17:16-18) and Judah was exiled for 70 years to Babylon (Jer. 11:9-13).

Certain classic statements in the Old Testament describe the nature of syncretism. The Samaritans were a mixed-breed people who also blended their allegiance: "They worshiped the Lord, but they also served their own gods in accordance with the customs of the nations from which they had been brought" (2 Kings 17:33). The pre-exilic Jews partially followed Yahweh but also created for themselves idols out of wood and stone. God, through the prophet Jeremiah said, "They have turned their backs to me but not their faces, yet when they are in trouble, they say, 'Come and save us!'" (Jer. 2:27). Zephaniah spoke of the dual allegiance of the people of Judah, who "bow down and swear by the Lord and who also swear by Molech" (Zeph. 1:5).

Syncretism frequently occurs when forms of Christianity are accepted but are given traditional meanings and when the assumptions of traditional culture are not adequately critiqued based upon biblical theology.

As another poster on SI forum has rightly observed and stated, "Christmas is the greatest ecumenical tool ever invented, and the more ecumenically minded one is, the more likely they are to participate in Christmas and its trappings. Partake in Christmas if you must and your conscience allows, but please don't refer to it as a Christian Holyday."

Whether christmas, the sucular humanism of public education, feminism, modern dating, many forms of entertainment, etc.,etc., all are schemes of satan to mix and mingle Christ and His Word, and those born of Him, with the philosophies and damning effects of the philosophies of this world.

What is it to "the elect according to the foreknowledge of God" what "Jack Nicholson said..." or what any God-hater for that matter has said in regard to anything, as they live in and love darkness.

What kind of revival can be expected if the hearts,minds,and practices of the professing people of God are tied to God-hating abominable cultural values and self-esteem.

"That which is highly esteemed among men is an abomination to God" (Luke 16:15). Shouldn't this settle the matter forever? Let us not dishonor our Lord any longer by making Him a part of this idolatrous celebration. May we cry to Him for deliverance. Let the world say what it pleases and think what it pleases and let this be our motto, "As for me and my house we will serve the Lord" (Joshua 24:15).

The voice of the false prophet is a voice of mixture.

"Real christian charity is swallowed up in the will of God, nor is it in its nature to extend itself one step beyond, nor desire one thing contrary to the glory of Jehovah. All the charity that we possess beyond this may be properly called fleshly charity." (William Gadsby)

2008/12/16 11:29Profile

Re:

Uhhh... yea, ok. Whatever.

Anyway, I thought Charlie nailed it on the head.

Krispy

2008/12/16 12:22
FireinmyBones1

Michigan

Re:

"Uhhh... yea, ok. Whatever.
Anyway, I thought Charlie nailed it on the head.
- Krispy"

Agreed Krispy...agreed! :)

-Jeff

2008/12/16 12:31Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Well, I Love Christ and the Christmas time of the year, but hey that's just me, I have that right, but we do need to pray for Anhedonic folks. :-)

2008/12/16 13:37Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re:

Dear Brother's,

Perhaps you were put off by the length of savannah's post. Let me condense it a bit;

Charlie says, "in this day of multi-culturalism and political correctness". He fits the mold of his own making and is self-condemned in his own words. He is guilty of that which he claims others are guilty of as he calls such people, "Grinch People". Charlie himself is the one who is deceived.

One man has stated, "We regretfully admit that many Christians, whose salvation we could not doubt, are too [b]badly misled by men's traditions and too blind to the importance of taking guidance solely from God's Word[/b], to take any godly stand against this Xmas monstrosity, But all who acknowledge the supreme authority of the Holy Scriptures to direct in such matters, will most certainly have no more to do with this unholy holiday after their attention has been called to it...If they would not link the name of our blessed Lord with their heathen ceremonies, then we would hold our peace. If it were like the 4th of July celebration we would have nothing to say."

SCRIPTURE, NOT CULTURE, CUSTOM, OR TRADITION OUGHT TO FORM THE CHRISTIAN WORLDVIEW.

Worldviews are learned as people grow up and absorb the culture around them. . . .

To refer, therefore to the birth of Christ as THE FIRST CHRISTMAS is wrong, and although it may appeal to people who place more value on sentiment than on fact, it is misleading.

Equally, so. is it false to assert that THE CHRIST WHO CAME AT CHRISTMAS WILL COME AGAIN, because the evidence is that He did not come at Christmas. Why not tell the truth? The Gospels give account of His birth, but after that there is no account of celebrating the birth of the Saviour. Christmas was started in the early 4th century by the Church of Rome. It is easy to understand that Roman Catholics would wish to observe Christmas - the name of their sacrament is in it, and they do not look for a Biblical warrant for their religion. However, [b]it is extremely difficult to understand why Protestants, whose religion is based on 'Scripture only' - Sola Scriptura - should follow the Roman Catholic Church into Christmas. ARE PROTESTANTS LOSING THEIR PROTEST?[/b]

Brothers and Sisters, this is not something to be brushed aside with a [i]"Uhhh... yea, ok. Whatever.[/i] Savannah took time and effort to put forth the argument and facts. It seems rude to reply in such a flippant fashion to a matter of such importance.

God blessed me when he made my husband and myself homeless for so many years. We were able to see society and the modern church for what it truly has become. I am ringing the bell in the watchtower, shouting warning, danger and sadly no one listens. Please, please at least read it all & pray over it before you blindly reject God's authority.

Charlie Daniel's piece is an excellent 'feel good' writing but it only relates to your 'worldview' as you have been led to believe - it is not reality.

Savannah's post prepares us for judgment and it is coming very soon.

This Country and the whole world are on the verge of economic disaster the likes of which none of us living have ever experienced. Lord willing after enough of your worldly life view is stripped away, if you live through it, you will see what savannah, myself and others have been trying to warn you about.

God have mercy on us all,
white stone

2008/12/16 13:49Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Greetings

White stone and Savannah what you have shared here has given me much to think about and pray about. I wanted to say thank you for taking the time to share this with us. Not sure what Father has for me in this but I want to know His heart on the matter.

God Bless
MJ

2008/12/16 14:13Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:

MaryJane wrote:
Greetings

White stone and Savannah what you have shared here has given me much to think about and pray about. I wanted to say thank you for taking the time to share this with us. Not sure what Father has for me in this but I want to know His heart on the matter.

God Bless
MJ

Excellent Post Thanks!

2008/12/16 14:26Profile

Re:

Whitestone & Savannah... in their zeal to make their angst against Christmas known, have miserably failed to grasp the heart of what this article is saying. Not even close.

But that's typical when you are so zealous for something without opening your eyes.

And for the record, I'm not necessarily disagreeing with either of them. Just that what they are ranting about has very little to do with the article I posted. Therefore it gets lost on me because it comes across as another Christmas tirade.

Krispy

2008/12/16 14:31
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

The thing I have learned is Religion is not the issue here as that is man created and therefore provides a jaded view of Christ or Christmas. To understand look to God for your answers not man, for man will fall short. GOD is in your heart and given the opening will manifest himself to you; man/religion is in your head and will confuse you because religion is for man not GOD.
Merry Christmas
Mr. Bill

2008/12/16 14:35Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy