SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Christmas

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread









 Re:

Ahhh... it just wouldnt be Christmas without our annual Christmas debate.

Because of the economy many people are scaling back Christmas this year. I believe I will do the same... this is going to be one of the Christmas traditions that I choose not to partake in this year.

Y'all have fun... I'll be over in the corner trimming the tree and listening to Bing Crosby on the iPod.

:-)

Krispy

PS: I love my brother Paul... He's doing a great job moderating, and we are blessed to have him.

 2008/12/8 8:36
Koheleth
Member



Joined: 2005/11/10
Posts: 530
NC

 Re:

Quote:

Quote:
Why was it necessary, as a moderator, to call those who do not observe Christmas "weaker"

PaulWest wrote:
You're twisting my words. I didn't call those who choose not to celebrate Christmas "weaker"



Quote:
PaulWest wrote:
the more mature will with a clear conscience sing "Silent Night and Hark! the Harold Angels Sing"



Quote:
PaulWest wrote:
I think I am fair in my postings, and quite unbiased.



We all do. It's human nature.

Quote:
Where is your argument now?



I didn't have one. I had a request for an explanation.

 2008/12/8 9:08Profile
Koheleth
Member



Joined: 2005/11/10
Posts: 530
NC

 Re:

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
Ahhh... it just wouldnt be Christmas without our annual Christmas debate.



I don't think there needs to be, or even should be, a debate. I am not interested in one. I hope you are not equating asking for an explanation with having a debate.

 2008/12/8 9:17Profile









 Re:

No, in fact I was going to mention in my post (but thought it unnecessary) that simply asking a question about why some folks have a problem with Christmas is certainly fine.

It's the ensuing debate and arguing that I find absurd. The tit-for-tat that you're involved in right now is example of that. :-)

Krispy

 2008/12/8 9:46
rbanks
Member



Joined: 2008/6/19
Posts: 1257


 Re:

I have come to believe that the scripture reveals how we as Christians are to be in the world but not of the world.

Now we all realize that we must associate with the people of this world and have dealings with many people who are not believers in Christ. We are to be a witness of Christ to them.

I realize that Christmas means different things to different people. The Christmas season comes once every year and we can't change this fact of Life. I know of organizations like the Jehovah Witnesses's who do not allow their children to participate in Christmas, not even at school with the other children. I also believe that they are a cult and not teaching the true gospel of Christ.

I have never liked the paganism part of Christmas but because Christ is in the word Christmas and many do celebrate the birth of Christ and get together with their families, I use this as an opportunity to witness the Love of Christ to a lost and dying world. I have always told my children the truth and never once told them to believe in Santa but only in Jesus.

I remember when my children were younger and how some in our family didn't like it that we told them that Santa was only make believe. We didn't want to put anything before nor take the place of our worship to the Lord Jesus Christ. We always told them the truth that we knew and didn't try to deceive them about anything. We told them Jesus is real and he was not make believe. We bear with others but we don't participate in make believe or anything that is pagan.

I have been very strong in my beliefs over the years and have prayed concerning how best to be a witness to my family and others at Christmas. I take the opportunity to lift up Christ during the Christmas season without tearing down Christmas when so many wouldn't understand, because it would be like sending a mixed message. I feel instead of trying to tear down Christmas use this time as an opportunity for Christ.

Many today are trying to make Christmas completely pagan and remove Christ completely out. Some might think, that would be good, just call it happy holidays for those who are heathens and paganism anyway because I don't celebrate Christmas. But this has also caused others to think about Christ more and do not want Christ to be taken out of Christmas. I don't want to send a mixed message.

I am for Christ, I am in this world but not to be of it and I will witness Christ everyday and at Christmas in doing the good that God would have me doing. I tell people to have a blessed Christmas. I don't throw out the baby with the bath water. I will not bash Christmas. I believe in seizing the occasion and taking the opportunity at Christmas for the Glory of Christ.

 2008/12/8 10:44Profile









 Re:

[b]rbanks[/b].... that was very well thought out, and your opinions on this are quite well balanced. It almost causes me to think that you must be from North Carolina. Oh, wait... you are! No wonder!

All joking aside, I couldn't agree with you more. To the heathen mind, Christians against Christmas is like dogs against roadkill. It doesnt make sense in their mind, and it is confusion.

I'm not suggestion we pattern our behavior or practices according to what heathen people expect of us. No, we are to follow our Lord's example.

But what a wonderful time to be a witness when the minds of all are on Christ... whether correctly or incorrectly.

Witness to your family at the get togethers. Volunteer at the soup kitchen (especially this year!). Help the Marines by donating to Toys For Tots. Give give give!

Ooops... said I wouldn't partake of the debate!

Over and out.

Krispy

 2008/12/8 11:16
MrBillPro
Member



Joined: 2005/2/24
Posts: 3250
Texas

 Re:

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
Ahhh... it just wouldnt be Christmas without our annual Christmas debate.



You know I don't have any problem with a good debate, but what I do have a problem with is "Christians" trying to make "Christians" feel guilty. I’ve never witnessed so many dysfunctional, obsessed, fantasy driven people in my life (myself included). There is a manner of "psychosis" going on, guilt about sin, insecurity with God, fear of hell, obsession for details, over-analysis of everything, hypocrisy, paranoia that Satan has deceived them, messiah/prophet complexes, obsession about rituals and ways of doing things, dread of being tainted by sin, shame of failing spiritually, secret knowledge that only they have been anointed with, fear of losing their salvation, self-righteousness, self-justification and denial, Christians trying to control and manipulate other Christians by making them feel bad, sinful, guilty…the list goes on and on.

Well it is understandable, our fear and respect for God makes us nervous about serving Him the wrong way. And how many Christians do you know that find something wrong with other Christians? Well…that would be ALL of us! We all think others are not “true” Christians because they do this or don’t do that or believe this or don’t believe that…basically they don’t follow God like we follow God…and that should be the first tip off that we are ALL wrong. :-o


_________________
Mr. Bill

 2008/12/8 11:20Profile
HomeFree89
Member



Joined: 2007/1/21
Posts: 797
Indiana

 Re:

Quote:
The very popularity of Christmas should cause the Christians to question it.





Before I go on with this I would like to say that I respect those who don't do Christmas and I respect those who do celebrate Christmas.

Quote:
Shouldn't the Christian be suspicious of a celebration in which the whole sinful world can join without qualms?



Well, if we're going to use this way of thinking then we shouldn't be going to church too. However, I do understand the point you're making.

I know many non-Christians that go to church and love it.

"One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. The one who observes the day, observes it in honor of the Lord. The one who eats, eats in honor of the Lord, since he gives thanks to God, while the one who abstains, abstains in honor of the Lord and gives thanks to God." (Romans 14:5-6)

The above Scripture speak well to this situation. Do it unto the Lord or don't do it at all. Don't judge those who do it and don't judge those who don't do it.


_________________
Jordan

 2008/12/8 12:03Profile
JoanM
Member



Joined: 2008/4/7
Posts: 797


 Re:

[b]Crsschk[/b]: “If you are new to SermonIndex this has become something of annual rite of it's own ...” This being my first Christmas on Sermonindex, it seems fitting that I post something on this thread, if only as a rite of passage. I will take courage and speak personally. For years and years, around this time of year, I receive a gift, something like a Christmas card, from my Father. Calling it a Christmas card in no way diminishes it in my heart. The subject is always the birth of Jesus.

Three years ago, HeartSong, I noticed an up-tic in the world’s disregard/mocking of Christ and it hurt my heart. That was the year that stores first made a big deal about saying "Happy Holidays" and not saying "Merry Christmas". That hurt found its way into my prayer life. It seemed that the everyone/the world wanted to smother the birth of Jesus and had found another way to do that. Plus, I had not heard from God that year yet. I felt rather alone in remembering His birth. I went to sleep with the heart-cry, “Doesn’t anyone remember His birth?” I woke with: “I remember the birth of my Son.” Oh Joy! and of course! There was much fruit in that. It was a blessing to remember the birth of Jesus with our Father. (I don’t think there is a father anywhere who does not remember the birth of his son.)

That said, I am reminded:


[b][size=x-small][color=990000]Scripture contains many advents.
Revival is one of them.
[/color][/size]

[color=000000]Have a mighty merry Christmas dear Sermonindex family

Made for[/color][color=CC0000] H[/color][color=000000]is pleasure
Joan[/color][/b]

 2008/12/8 12:36Profile
HeartSong
Member



Joined: 2006/9/13
Posts: 3156


 Re:

Thank you Joan.

merry Christmas to you also.

 2008/12/8 12:40Profile





©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy