SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : marriage: how old is too old

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:

ginnyrose wrote:
It is true age is a mental thing, but your body is a real thing, too. :-(
ginnyrose

Amen on that sister, I can tell you from experience and I am only 57 but in excellent shape for my age, I am not your normal pot belly old man :-P. I will say this, being married to a younger lady has given me more of a reason to take better care of myself and not just let go like I "might" if I were married to someone the same age, just a thought.

2008/11/26 19:56Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
I am only 57 but in excellent shape for my age, I am not your normal pot belly old man . I will say this, being married to a younger lady has given me more of a reason to take better care of myself and not just let go like I "might" if I were married to someone the same age, just a thought.

Can I write something funny about this or should I just let it go? For once, I may just let it go and wish you the best! :-)

ginnyrose

2008/11/26 21:31Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re:

My thoughts, perhaps the older man wishes to marry the young woman to ensure she be cared for should anything happen to him. A woman of 33 is grown and can make a decision for herself. Good men are not growing on trees.

It is most important that they have talked at length and prayed and sough counseling as much as it may be available. Look at Boaz and Ruth, he was old. . .

The most important part is that there is a good friendship between them and not a romance. Romance does not last but as long as you can remain friends and have respect, one for another, and enjoy each others company, marriage is one of the blessings of God.

Regards,
white stone

2008/11/26 22:39Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
Romance does not last but as long as you can remain friends and have respect, one for another, and enjoy each others company

Not to be insensitive to various trying situations in many marriages, but I think that many will testify that romance can get stronger with each year of marriage. I've been married for almost 18 years, and the romance I have now with my wife is more fragrant, deeper and intimate, and satisfying now then it was when we were first married. It is happily way beyond the category of respectful friendship.

Blessings,

MC

2008/11/26 22:53Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re:

Hello MC,

Glad you still have Romance. :-) My husband and I have been married 35+ and couldn't be closer but there is none of the 'TV & Movie' kind of romance. There is a deep love and knowing what the other is going to say before they say it but no violins. None needed. After living the life we have had there is no doubt in my mind that ours is indeed a match made in Heaven, although both of us were seriously back slidden when we met.

One of these days I hope to tell you more about it. It is a long story and I want to get to know you all a little more first.

Cheers,
white stone

2008/11/26 23:33Profile
Compton

Re:

Thanks for the clarification White Stone. :-)

I only inserted my comment because it seems these days marriage gets a bad rep even in the church. (edit: I certainly understand there can be extreme difficulties.)

In short I think it's worth mentioning that some spouses are refreshing and supportive wells of love and understanding. People need to still believe that a devoted Christian spouse can be a beautiful expression of God's unfailing love. :-) I'm not even sure the marriage needs to be a match made in heaven, as long as both of the people are seated in heavenly places.

By the way, congratulations on 35 years of marriage. 35 is a wonderful testimony in and of itself and especially fitting to share on Thanksgiving day.

MC

2008/11/27 9:33Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

35 is a wonderful testimony

Without Jesus - I can do nothing. All the glory goes to Him.

I appreciate your kind comments,
white stone

2008/11/27 11:12Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re: 35 is a wonderful testimony

I had received a PM on the content I posted in this thread by a poster, I truly believe anyone that really knows me here knows even though my posts or responses may be of the humorous kind that I by no means have "ever" posted anything here to be anything but a G rated comment.
Some of us Christians need to wake up to the fact that just because someone reads something in the way they do, it really don't mean they was what the poster meant it to be it was only the way you interrupted it "from cyber space" if we all agreed on everything we read here, this forum would be useless, we set all day posting scriptures and our personal opinions on what they mean, right?
I did apologize to the person that thought I was trying to create images "which anyone that knows me" knows I was not. What I was trying to do was open up some minds that may be in the lock down mode because of some Christians that make them feel guilty of even waking up in the morning and offer an idea to someone that might be reading this, and use my experience to maybe restore a marriage. I really did not feel lead to apologize but some folks if you just don't apologize and get it over with it sometimes just keeps the stick stirring and the strife between the two going on and I did not want this. I would also like to say that trust me, I have heard a lot of sermons preached straight from the pulpit that would make my remark look like David compared to Goliath "my remark being the David remark".:-) I did not come back here with the intentions to condone or condemn what I said, I came to say we should all get to know someone a little better before "slamming" them in a PM, and this person really slammed me like I was a dog, in my opinion.

2008/12/1 14:32Profile

Re:

We have some friends who are about that same age spread... he's 50 something, she's 30 something. Not a big deal, and they are a very [b]godly[/b] family.

Many historians and theologians believe that Joseph was probably close to 30, and Mary was probably 15-16 yrs old based upon the culture and customs of that time period.

We'd arrest someone for that today! lol

Krispy

2008/12/1 14:37
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

What happens when the wife gets to be 60ish and her husband is 80something??? My dad was 80 when he died and while he was in relative good health I am sure glad I am [i]not[/i] married to an 80+YO! Each to his own. But just do not forget that when the 60s and 70s creep up, changes do occur and it makes the possessor more keenly aware of his mortality. And that brings its own challenges.

I would suggest the lady who is considering marrying a man much older then she, to take a close look at men in their 70s, 80s and then decide if she would like to be married to a man like that, with the limitations age imposes on a body.

Keep up the exercise, Bill, and do not forget to eat your oat bran muffins! :-D

ginnyrose

2008/12/2 5:24Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy