Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : My Favourite Bible Study Tools

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
philologos

Reading, UK

My Favourite Bible Study Tools

OK lets start a new thread.
1. My favourite Bible Study bible would be The Newberry Bible (AV/KJV with lots of add-ons) My favourite devotional bible would be my unmarked, plain text, AV/KJV Cambridge UP Turquoise 8vo refs, India paper. I have used these for years)
2. The Online Bible. Larry Pearce's unique contribution to the Computer age. FREE with a never ending supply of additional information. available at www.onlinebible.net
3. Vine's Expository Dictionary
4. Interlinear NT. Greek text based on Stephens with literal translation interlined and the AV/KJV in the margin.
I could live without the rest.
His/Yours
Ron B

2003/8/12 6:55Profile
laholmes

Re: My Favourite Bible Study Tools

1.My favorite Bible is my Thompson Chain Reference Bible. (which, incidentally, I bought at a thrift store for a dollar). I use that almost all the time, but sometimes I teach from my NASB reference edition.
2. Word pictures in the New Testament, AT Robertson
3. My greek Lexicon and Word Study New Testament
4. American Dictionary of the English Lanugage, Noah Webster 1828
-Not just an ordinary dictionary, [url=http://www.face.net/Webster's_1828.html]check it out![/url] (Be sure to scroll down)

2003/8/12 18:25Profile
jeremyhulsey

Re: My Wishlist

Here is what I'm looking for to help in my studies.

1. Some good commentaries. A good representation of Reformed and Arminian.
2. Greek and Hebrew studies. I'm looking for stuff that is good for a newbie in this field.
3. Some good Bible dictionaries and encyclopedias.
4. Some good O/T and N/T Bible background explorers.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should look for? Any help is MUCH appreciated.

In Christ,
Jeremy Hulsey

2003/8/13 0:17Profile
lwpray

Sweden

Re: My Favourite Bible Study Tools

Why not add a Greek-English lexicon.
Joseph Henry Thayer prepared one which holds a lot of interesting material even for a beginner.
Zondervan Publishing House.
With some persistency one will learn the Greek alphabet and then, just go for it...
Blessings,
Lars W

2003/8/13 11:55Profile

Re:

I remember years ago someone mentioning to me that Thayer was a universalist or Unititarian and his lexicon is tainted with his belief system. If I remember right he did not believe that Christ was God and the Jehovah Witnesses have used portions of his lexicon to defend their position. Consequently I stayed away from it and use the William F. Arndt and F.Wilbur Gingrich's Lexicon. I used to own both and upon comparing many words I decided on the AG and threw away my Thayers.

Has anyone else ever heard this?

Kevin

2003/8/13 12:54
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

You're right Thayer was a Unitarian, but as long as you are aware of that and are prepared to compensate accordingly, his Lexicon is still a good tool

2003/8/13 13:01Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: The Online Bible

Larry Pierce's Online Bible is a great tool. I keep on mentioning that it is FREE and most of the modules are too. This will provide a wealth of information. Worth a look. Try www.onlinebible.net

2003/8/13 13:06Profile
BluesKeeper007

Re:

I try to be careful in my selections of bible study materials.

The ones I rely on are some of the old with a mix of the new (like Youngs, Strongs). Regarding commentaries I have works by Martin Luther, Calvin, Boice, Lloyd-Jones, Ravenwood. My study Bible is the Reformed Study Bible I also have reproduction of the Geneva study Bible which I enjoy.

2003/8/13 23:41Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: Analytical Greek New Testament: Baker Book House

by Barbara and Timothy Friberg ISBN:0-8010-3496-5

This can be a useful tool for folk with just a little bit of Greek. It uses alpha-numeric coding beneath the Greek word to give full parsing of every word in the Greek NT. This can often be very helpful in clarifying KJV ambiguities. I don't use it often but when I need it it does the job beautifully. (the Online Bible does some parsing but is not exhaustive)

It provides a much needed service to all those students of the New Testament who can't remember the marvels of Koine Greek morphology and syntax. Each word of the Greek New Testament is analyzed in terms of tense, number, person, gender, etc. A simple alpha-numeric code provides the key to parsing any word. Companion volumes by the same authors use this analyzed text to provide lexical and grammatical concordances of the entire Greek New Testament.

Two things would have made it perfect; a Strongs Number link for every word (although I have this elsewhere) and a the Stephens Greek Text (rather than the Nestle/UBS/Aland which does not have my confidence)

(amazon.com has some second hand copies)

2003/8/15 4:24Profile
HelloIAmLinda

N.E. United States

Re:

There's a Bible Study tool (I guess that's what you call it) :oops: that's really great and so simple to do. It's called E-Sword. I don't know how to do a link, in fact, I barely know how to even turn on a computer, but this download was so simple, that even I could do it. And using it is so simple, that even I can do it! It comes with the KJV Bible (my favorite) but on the download site, there are other Bibles, as well as commentaries, dictionaries and a host of other wonderful things that you can download and it automatically goes into the E-Sword thing you downloaded. I think if you just put E-Sword in your search engine, you can find it. Go check it out, you'll be glad you did! :-D

Love in Christ,
Linda

2003/8/19 11:37Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy