SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Hebrews 6:4-6

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread

Hebrews 6:4-6

[size=small][b]Hebrews 6:4-6[/b][/size]

[b]New International Version (NIV)[/b]
[b]4[/b] [color=cc0000][b]It is impossible[/b][/color] for those who have [u]once been enlightened[/u], who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in [u]the Holy Spirit[/u], [b]5[/b] who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age, [b]6[/b] if they fall away, [color=cc0000][b]to be brought back to repentance[/b][/color], because to their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace.

[b]New King James Version (NKJV)[/b]
[b]4[/b] For [color=cc0000][b]it is impossible[/b][/color] for those who were [u]once enlightened[/u], and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of [u]the Holy Spirit[/u], [b]5[/b] and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, [b]6[/b] if they fall away, [color=cc0000][b]to renew them again to repentance[/b][/color], since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame.

[b]New Living Translation (NLT)[/b]
[b]4[/b] For [color=cc0000][b]it is impossible to bring back to repentance[/b][/color] those who were [u]once enlightened[/u]—those who have experienced the good things of heaven and shared in [u]the Holy Spirit[/u], [b]5[/b] who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the power of the age to come—[b]6[/b] and who then turn away from God. [color=cc0000][b]It is impossible to bring such people back to repentance[/b][/color]; by rejecting the Son of God, they themselves are nailing him to the cross once again and holding him up to public shame.

[b]Young's Literal Translation (YLT)[/b]
[b]4[/b] for [color=cc0000][b][it is] impossible[/b][/color] for those [u]once enlightened[/u], having tasted also of the heavenly gift, and partakers having became of [u]the Holy Spirit[/u],
[b]5[/b] and did taste the good saying of God, the powers also of the coming age,
[b]6[/b] and having fallen away, again [color=cc0000][b]to renew [them] to reformation[/b][/color], having crucified again to themselves the Son of God, and exposed to public shame.

[b]New American Standard Bible (NASB)[/b]
[b]4[/b] For in the case of those who have [u]once been enlightened[/u] and have tasted of the heavenly gift and have been made partakers of [u]the Holy Spirit[/u],
[b]5[/b] and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come,
[b]6[/b] and then have fallen away, [color=cc0000][b]it is impossible to renew them again to repentance[/b][/color], since they again crucify to themselves the Son of God and put Him to open shame.

2008/11/19 15:52
EvangelistC

Re: Hebrews 6:4-6

excellent passage.

2008/11/22 17:32Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Was thinking of that the other day

When we read Hebrews the other day, I wondered about Peter denying Jesus 3 x's. Not sure of the application here. Anyone care to explain their view on it.

Also, reading of Christian's in Laos who have been forced to deny their Faith or see their children starve. What about that.

Not that this is a faith breaker for me but I am curious.

Thanks for posting, it opened a door for me to ask about these points.

Best regards,
white stone

2008/11/22 18:38Profile

Re: Was thinking of that the other day

White Stone,
That was actually before Pentecost when the Holy Spirit filled Peter and the others. The verse is talking about Spirit filled christians.
I don't know about Laos specifically but the children who died innocently will be on thrones for eternity with the Lord Jesus so their parents actually did a much more noble thing than feeding them, sending them to college or whatever silly worldly concerns.
If they denied Jesus and their children saw it then they may as well have denied their own children as well.

2008/11/22 21:20
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re:

"That was actually before Pentecost when the Holy Spirit filled Peter and the others. The verse is talking about Spirit filled christians."

Thank you, benjoseph,

I understand now. Praise the Lord!

ws

2008/11/23 15:02Profile
passerby

Re:

Quote:
"That was actually before Pentecost when the Holy Spirit filled Peter and the others. The verse is talking about Spirit filled christians."

It could be that I did not get the intended meaning of the above statement.

The Lord Jesus said this before the pentecost:

Joh 14:17 even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you.

Joh 14:18 "I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.

2008/11/23 21:33Profile

Re:

Quote:
The Lord Jesus said this before the pentecost:

Joh 14:17 even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you.

Joh 14:18 "I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.

Hi Passerby,

I thought of that first verse also. It says dwells [b]with[/b] you and [b]will[/b] be [b]in[/b] you.

Which reminds me of this passage (Col 1:27)
Quote:
24 Now I rejoice in what was suffered for you, and I fill up in my flesh what is still lacking in regard to Christ's afflictions, for the sake of his body, which is the church. 25I have become its servant by the commission God gave me to present to you the word of God in its fullness— 26 the mystery that has been kept hidden for ages and generations, but is now disclosed to the saints. 27 To them [b]God has chosen to make known[/b] among the Gentiles the glorious riches of [b]this mystery, which is Christ [u]in[/u] you[/b], the hope of glory.

Do you think that they had Christ in them instead of dwelling with them when they were filled with the Holy Spirit?
Do you think that denying Christ when he is living in you is a lot worse than what Peter wept over?

Does that explain what I meant?

Ben

2008/11/23 23:46
passerby

Re:

Quote:
Do you think that they had Christ in them instead of dwelling with them when they were filled with the Holy Spirit?

They dwell in them yes, and also dwells with them.

Quote:
Do you think that denying Christ when he is living in you is a lot worse than what Peter wept over?

I am thinking that this is related to the context of Hebrew 6:4-6. Can you give enlightenment on these very controversial verses.

2008/11/24 3:40Profile
bible1985

Re:

that verse is used by many to say that you can lose your salvation but in verse 9 paul reminds us christians that it is impossible for a true spirit filled christian to do so. It said something like i am persuaded better things of you and the things that accompany salvation. I do not think a true born again believer who has come to know jesus personally would ever want to leave him completely, maybe fall into sin but never leave him.

2008/11/25 8:51Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

Quote:

bible1985 wrote:
I do not think a true born again believer who has come to know jesus personally would ever want to leave him completely, maybe fall into sin but never leave him.

To sin is to leave Him. He does not accompany you to your sin or support it or have any part of it.

Those who love God keep his commandments, when we sin, fall is a bad word because it makes it sound like an accident. Sin is not. sin is willfull rebellion towards God. Yes there is unconcius sin to, but known sin is never an accident. It is a choice to leave God and chose SIN instead whatever, if it is fornication or a prideful thought. Its departure from God.

Repentance is returning....to return you must have left somewhere, in this case God.

2008/11/25 11:09Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy