SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Is there humor in heaven?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:

benjoseph wrote:
MrBillPro, would you be willing to consider whether Jesus ever made room for what personally feels more natural to us and how we want to be in life?

Hey I never said you could not be whatever you wanted to be, if being stone faced and sad is your thing, go for it! I was speaking for myself.

Quote:

benjoseph wrote:
Also do you think people who are newly learning about their own sinfulness have good cause to be stone-faced and afraid?

Ben

Hey I have as good a testimony as most out there, Brother I sure had no reason to be stone-faced and afraid after my accepting Christ, just the contrary for me, I was the happiest and most joyfullest person on earth that day and still feel close to the same. Hey to each there own, some feel better being sad and stone faced they must, I see a lot of them at Church. :-P

I must have hit a nerve, I am sorry, it was not intended to be anything personal.

2008/11/16 15:54Profile
davidt

Re:

Quote:
When we read that we see humor.

White Stone,

Yeah, this is a good example as to the depth of the depravity to which we have sunk in thinking this to be funny. It is that which is evil that makes us laugh it is so telling of the darkness of the human heart. Humor often masks evil very well since one becomes so preoccupied with the laughter that we are blinded by our lusts.

2008/11/16 16:01Profile
davidt

Re:

Ben,

Oh no you did answer my question. There were still however a couple things lingering.

Well, I think that they can be something like that. I'd say that our natural laughter could more so be this way. But, once we have been born again and have spiritual laughter we are already partkers of the heavenly calling though not completely.

2008/11/16 16:05Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:

davidt wrote:
Humor often masks evil very well since one becomes so preoccupied with the laughter that we are blinded by our lusts.

Dave I Love ya Brother but I totally disagree with this statement, I personally would say humor helps me take my mind off any evil thought that might try and enter my mind. To be honest with you, I find it hard to believe in today's world one becomes preoccupied with laughter, but I do believe in "Some" it does lift their spirit and this is a good start to lifting our faith, a joyful heart is good medicine, But a broken spirit dries up the bones..

2008/11/16 16:11Profile
davidt

Re:

Bill and Ben,

I think that there are times when we should be stone faces and when we shouldn't. As already mentioned Paul stated that he both rejoice and grieved at the same time. He had joy in the hope of the glory of God but he also grieved over the state of the Church. I think as Ecclesiastes says there is a time for rejoicing and a time for weeping. We are to weep with those who weep and rejoice with those who rejoice. Or as Kathleen shared:

Quote:
I don't exactly know how to explain it, but when I was backslidden, I was the queen of joking and foolishness. People expected the "joke of the day" when I arrived on the scene and there was much laughter. I always held the scripture from proverbs, that even in laughter, the heart is exceeding sorrowful. It was the truth and must have shown, because people would ask me why I wasn't smiling or that I should smile more. Now here is the mystery of godly joy; I have wept more in the past seven years since my return to Lord than in all my life, but people compliment only my smile instead of asking why I look angry or frown. There must be a true joy that is reaped from tears.

2008/11/16 16:14Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:

davidt wrote:
Bill and Ben,

I think that there are times when we should be stone faces and when we shouldn't. As already mentioned Paul stated that he both rejoice and grieved at the same time. He had joy in the hope of the glory of God but he also grieved over the state of the Church. I think as Ecclesiastes says there is a time for rejoicing and a time for weeping. We are to weep with those who weep and rejoice with those who rejoice. Or as White Stone shared:

Excellent!!! Dave, I will rejoice with you on this
your exactly right, well in my opinion. :-P

2008/11/16 16:16Profile
davidt

Re:

Quote:
disagree with this statement, I personally would say humor helps me take my mind off any evil

Yes I agree... It might not have come off the right way and I didn't completely explain. I wasn't trying to say humor was evil I was only speaking about it in the sense of when it is being used in an evil way. I have known people to tell coarse jokes and then people get sucked into the funniness of it and pay no attention to the fact that it is coarse because it is so pleasurable and by this they are distracted because it is masked. I do agree that humor is a VERY good thing. I was only speaking about it being used for evil as it can.

2008/11/16 16:19Profile

Re:

There is no offense Mr Bill,
I think it seemed like I was taking it personally because you misunderstood the first part. I was trying to ask you to consider that Jesus (as far as I've understood) did not at all leave room for "what personally feels more natural to us and how we want to be in life." In my understanding those are the things in us that have to give way to Jesus. I mean that in a similar way to when John the Baptist said that he must decrease and Jesus must increase.

What do you think about this also?

Paul to Titus (I bolded the relevant stuff):

But speak thou the things which befit the sound doctrine:

that aged men be [b]temperate, grave, sober-minded[/b], sound in faith, in love, in patience:

that aged women likewise be [b]reverent in demeanor[/b], not slanderers nor enslaved to much wine, teachers of that which is good; that they may train the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be [b]sober-minded[/b], chaste, workers at home, kind, being in subjection to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed:

the younger men likewise exhort to be [b]sober-minded[/b]: in all things showing thyself an example of good works; in thy doctrine showing uncorruptness, [b]gravity[/b], sound speech, that cannot be condemned; that he that is of the contrary part may be ashamed, having no evil thing to say of us.

Ben

2008/11/16 16:56
FireinmyBones1

Michigan

Re:

dear brother
you are right in saying that I was a bit too harsh with my speech. In person, I assure you that my tone would have been gentler. When I write, however, I occasionally begin stringing words together and eventually wind up sounding somewhat sarcastic. I know that this is an area in which I need growth. Thank you for the encouragement and exhortation - I will take it to heart.

2008/11/16 22:39Profile

Re:

Is there humor in heaven??

Just the fact that [b]I'll[/b] be there demonstrates there will be humor in heaven!!

:-P

Krispy

2008/11/17 8:20

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy