SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Revival churches in the washington dc area, or am I being to critical???

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

Amen brother! Keep that fire burning, and don't let anyone put it out. God has His hand on you.

Mike

2008/10/14 9:04Profile
Crossbearer8

Re:

Quote:

When I was a young Christian, someone tried to confuse me with the last few verses of Romans chapter 7: "24  O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
25  I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.". He tried to use those verses to support the idea that a Christian continues in a mixture of sin and godliness. When I got home, I read that scripture again . . . and then I kept reading:

Romans 8:1  ¶There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
2  For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
3  For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
4  That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
5  For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
6  For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
7  Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
8  So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
9  But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
10  ¶And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
11  But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
12  Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.
13  For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
14  For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
15  For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

Chapter 7 was simply describing the condition of human flesh without the Spirit of God! Within ourselves, we CANNOT "no way, no sir, no how" live a righteous life. There is no righteousness to be found within human beings! But if Jesus lives within us, how can we not be victorious over sin? Did he not conquer our sin on the cross?

Yes, he used much of romans to back his sermon, he used some of the Scriptures you have listed above, but reading one line without taking it into context with the entirety of the text, along with the entirity of the Scriptures is why these heretics develop. I read more into the first 8 chapters of Romans and God revealed it clearly. But honestly, I feel, and let me say the way I feel is often wrong, but nonetheless I feel that people(like this man) who talk grace out of context are those who are using grace as an occasion of the flesh, and are hoping that when they trample on it through their indulgences that they will escape Gods wrath. People like this often want others to be like them, and just as pigs wallow in filth with other pigs so do men who trample over grace want others to share in this as well. I thank you all very much for your responses, and feel encouraged by all your words.

2008/10/14 9:07Profile
Crossbearer8

Re:

Quote:

The Lord is faithful though and knows just what you need when you need it. He'll feed you with the ravens if need be (spiritually speaking here). When your thirsty it's not hard to find water but I know what your saying what we get is not always ideal. Sometimes I feel like it would be great to attend TSC but than do I want to live in NYC, nope!

Wow, that was so put so well, and it so depicts my life, in my hunger to know Him He has, with the ravens as you say, brought me all sorts of insight and food of the Spirit through sermons on websites from various sources etc... When you say TSC is that Time Square Church, does wilkerson still preach there? Might be worth the 3 hour drive from time to time.

2008/10/14 9:16Profile
Crossbearer8

Re:

Quote:

AbideinHim wrote:
There is a ministry out of Richmond Virginia called "The Christian Tape Ministry". http://www.christiantapeministry.com/. this ministry is out of Richmond Virginia and there is a fellowship of believers there. I know that this would be a pretty good drive for you, but there is a conferenece that takes place usually the last week of June, called "The Christian Family Conference". This conference has been going on for a number of years and many of the teachers at these conferences actually ministered with T.Austin Sparks. Brother Stephen Kaung ministers a lot at these conferences and he worked with Watchman Nee for many years, and actually translated much of Brother Nee's materials into English. Go to the Christian Tape Ministry website and you can find out more information on this ministry.

Mike

thanks you very much, I will definitely look into it :-)

2008/10/14 9:18Profile
Crossbearer8

Re:

Quote:

ginnyrose wrote:
Have you ever seen "Choice Book" racks around the city? You may want to contact them and ask them to direct you to a Bible Believing church. It used to be that Simon Schrock, who authored "One Anothering" supervised "Choice Books" in that area.

Simon Schrock is a very godly man who loves the LORD. I think he lives at Fairfax; he would be delighted to assist you. BTW, he looks like Abraham Lincoln! and has also been mistaken for Dr. Evertte Koop!

Blessings,
ginnyrose

Never heard of the man,I will surely look into it, and thank you very much!

2008/10/14 9:20Profile
Crossbearer8

Re:

Quote:

jimp wrote:
hi, we are never going to find the perfect church..i would rather hear grace and love and joy all year because that exemplifies Jesus,who died so that all sin is covered or none. to pilot a ship upriver you do not need to know where the pitfalls(sand bars, bad currents etc.)are;you need to know where the channel is. Jesus' finished work and faith in this alone. pray for your pastor lest you grow hard and phareseeical can't spell...make a difference. jimp

The perfect church, on earth one will not exist, such perfection is only above. Nonetheless, knowing Gods holiness, His justified wrath and judgement on sin and all of us who have indulged in it truly gives us an understanding and appreciation of grace and the cross. Grace after repentance and repentence after conviction, if the church neglects this many of its dead visitors will walk leave as they entered, and those members attending who are not saved are not broken to repentance. When you are truly under grace the wrath judgement and righteousness of God only makes grace all the more appreciated and understood. The truth of God in its entirity is food and life to the man who has a relationship with God, the idolatrous one only cares to enjoy and partake in the choice words which suit his fleshiness. And as far as being a pharisee, well to tell you the truth I care more of people being broken to pieces and saved that people being comfortable, happy, untested and dead.

2008/10/14 9:35Profile

Re:

Quote:

Crossbearer8 wrote:
Quote:

The Lord is faithful though and knows just what you need when you need it. He'll feed you with the ravens if need be (spiritually speaking here). When your thirsty it's not hard to find water but I know what your saying what we get is not always ideal. Sometimes I feel like it would be great to attend TSC but than do I want to live in NYC, nope!

Wow, that was so put so well, and it so depicts my life, in my hunger to know Him He has, with the ravens as you say, brought me all sorts of insight and food of the Spirit through sermons on websites from various sources etc... When you say TSC is that Time Square Church, does wilkerson still preach there? Might be worth the 3 hour drive from time to time.

Yes, Times Square Church is where I was referring to. David Wilkerson, has been such a blessing in my life. I have been so blessed by his newsletter and now I just read it online.

Here is the information on service times, directions, parking ect.. You might find this will fill that need in your life even if you just visit from time to time. I have heard that people drive for miles to attend their services.
[url=http://www.tscnyc.org/schedule_of_services.php] Times Square Church weekly service schedule[/url]

Looking back that was a faith building experience for me in many ways. I had to hang onto what little the Lord allowed me which was no small thing at all. Most of the time a few words from God is all we need, sometimes more but He is faithful. I will pray that the Lord fills this need in your life.

2008/10/14 10:00
Crossbearer8

Re:

Wow, thanks again Rebecca! God bless you

2008/10/14 10:04Profile
Lordoitagain

Monroe, LA - USA

Re:

Quote:
And as far as being a pharisee, well to tell you the truth I care more of people being broken to pieces and saved that people being comfortable, happy, untested and dead.

Brother, you're not at all being a Pharasee by obeying Christ's call to "beware of false prophets" (Matt. 7).

That chapter begins with the often quoted:

Matthew 7:1  ¶Judge not, that ye be not judged.
2  For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
3  And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
4  Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
5  Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

A hypocrite (actor - as were the pharasees) continues in his own indulgences of sin while condemning others. Many of those "mega-churches" that only focus on grace love and joy (to the exclusion of wrath for sin and remorse and true repentance) still have certain pet "motes" that they still condemn in others. They would be appalled and vocal about such sins as child molestation, brutal and cruel murders, abortion, homosexuality (sometimes) . . . and perhaps a few other sins that are not acceptable to their religious peer groups yet the beams of adultery, drunkenness, fornication, "politically correct" theft . . .etc, they "cover" with the banner of unconditional grace (no repentance required).

How can they judge the cruel murderer or child molester while continuing to commit adultery or fornication? They are altogether missing what Jesus meant by "judge not"!

Yet in the same chapter, Jesus clearly commands us:

Matthew 7:15 ¶Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

When you see evil fruits . . . you are to stay away.

The greatest difficulty of being a part of such a church is the fact that your own personal work in the Kingdom can get poisoned. When you witness to someone, and they see Christ in your life, and they want to know more, and you start leading them in the right direction . . . then they visit your church, and they hear messages that go in another direction . . . they will get confused, and possibly destroyed.

A "gospel" that doesn't involve remorse for sin and turning from sin is what Paul called "another gospel"

Galatians 1:6  ¶I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:
7  Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.
8  But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

THANK GOD for the glorious gospel that convicts the sinner of his sin and leads him to repentance and cleansing from sin!

God bless you, brother.

2008/10/14 20:59Profile
coffee

Re:

Dear Crossbearer8,

I would recommend Pastor Carter Conlon's Message " Run For Your Life " . He is the Pastor for Times Square Church in NYC.

It is under Carter Conlon Audio Sermons page 7 here on SI.

2008/10/14 21:43Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy