SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Jehovah's Witnesses

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

Jehovah's Witnesses

Need some advice from those who might be experienced in dealing with J.W.'s. We are having a yard sale and our neighbors came over to buy some of our stuff. Turns out they are JW's. Before this I wondered if they might have been Christian or something else because I would often seem them go, to what I thought was church on Sunday and see them once and a while going dressed up on Friday nights. (think maybe the Holy Spirit was giving me discernment and just confirmed it) Ironically, this morning I had a woman come to our house and wanted to drop of some information. She was a JW...I engaged her into a a discussion, we debated for a bit, and then she eventually had to leave. She offered to come back, but I told her she would not be welcome(kindly i told her)...according to 2 John. It was pretty wild I must say. SO now to have it confirmed that my neighbors are JW's....I am pretty stressed out...I don't want to associate with them...my little boy likes to play with their kids. What should I do? Would Christ want me to reach out in love to them? Or avoid them? and what good resource that is concise, quick read? The hard part is that the father doesn't speak very good English, the wife does...but we don't speak a lick of spanish!

Maybe my wifes best friend who is Cuban can teach us the basics?!

Pray for us and appreciate any advice
Mike

Edit: It was wild...not me! :-)

2008/9/26 21:07

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses

Hello friend. I hear your heart concerns and questions. I will try and give some advice if I may.
First I know that it can be a difficult thing to have JW neighbors and kiddo's playing together etc. However you have an awesome oppurtunity to witness to them the truth. In fact you are already witnessing to them maybe without even realizing it.

They see your actions as a neighbor. They watch you and maybe would be open to being friends in spite of the belief differences. You have the Spirit of God in you that casts out all fear and gives you a confidence that can withstand the deception that they are under.

Next they are first human then secondly jw's.
They experience all the stress, temptations, challenges that you and all of us experience. They may even have added stress of trying to measure up to jw's ways. You have the secret that can remove the impact of the stress' and replace with hope, joy and true peace in Christ.

I don't know what your knowledge is of jw teaching. If it is weak you may consider Ed deckers site saintsalive. He is a former mormon but also has info on jw's.

Ray Comfort has some good advice on how to witness with Jw's were you avoid most of the doctrinal wrangling and get to the heart of using the law to convince of sin then follow up with faith repentance and the cross. Check on his sight at living waters.com

Ultimatly the more love and genuine neighborly concern, willing to help with whatever and even inviting them to barbecue will touch their heart. You can then even more effectively share Christ.

These are just suggestions to open up idea's for you. I'm sure others on SI will have more good advice to share. God bless you mike.take care.

2008/9/26 21:31
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re: JW's

First off, it is of vital importance that you understand how a typical JW sees [i]you[/i]. You do this by stepping in their shoes, figuratively speaking. Each JW is indoctrinated to view a Christian as someone duped by Satan into worshipping a three-headed pagan god called "The Trinity". Subsequently, everything you say comes through this "Trinity" filter and they see [i]you[/i] as the one needing to be saved. If you think the JW's are brainwashed, they think even more the same about you, and, on the average, are much more zealous to win you over to their religion than a Christian is to win them to his.

If you remember this when you meet them, you'll go about things a little differently. Now, if the Lord gives you an open door to engage one (I find that most of the time the door is closed for me), the very first thing you need to do is incapacitate the Watchtower. The Watchtower is basically their "mothership" that interprets scripture for them and rules the empire like Big Brother in Orwell's 1984. Just like any other structure, if you want to bring it down, immediately go for the foundation, the Achilles Heel - which, in this case, is the numerous failed prophecies the Watchtower has put out over the years and tried to cover-up. Familiarize youself with some of them and mention your findings to your JW guests, one-by-one, and with genuine earnesty.

You won't go far before they'll stop you. There's usually a JW elder that accompanies a younger, less informed convert when they go on a "follow up" house call, and the elders are trained like robots to immediately provide proof texts and explanations. For the failed prophecies they'll most likely bring up Proverbs 4:18 in defense, asserting they are getting more and more wisdom, shining brighter and brighter. In the past, they'll say, they got some things wrong, but that was along time ago when they didnt have as much light as they do today.

Then he'll try to divert the discussion to a disjointed endtime reference in Daniel or Ezekiel, but don't let them off the hook. Keep them on the ropes, go back to bringing up all the failed the prophecies and how serious something like that is in God's eyes - especially the repurcussions God's Word instructs in Deut. 18 as to dealing with false prophehts.

Be careful here; they're fixing to leave. You just smashed a gaping hole in their Mothership and they need to get away so they can try to tape it back up. But now that you've got a hole, try inserting gospel truth through it, as led by the Holy Spirit. You won't have that much time to do this, so make sure you have a pretty good grasp of gospel basics.

2008/9/26 22:15Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

A friend gave me this long ago:

There are several things you must understand before God blesses you with the passion and privilege to witness to a Jehovah’s Witnesses or a Mormon.

First, do not be timid. For God did not give us a spirit of fear, but He has given us a spirit of power and a spirit of love and a spirit of self-control. (2 Timothy 1:7) As I mentioned earlier, He will not give you something that you can not handle.

Second, allow the spirit of love to lead the conversation. Notice that I said and emphasize conversation, not discussion or debate or argument. Would you be receptive to listen to someone if they start the conversation by telling you that what you believe is false? Well I guaranty you, neither will them. Remember, God is Love.

Third, allow the spirit of discipline and self control to guide you. All it takes is patience. Let them speak all night if that is what it takes. When they say something contradicting to the Word of God ask them to elaborate using another scripture. Since the word of God is infallible, more powerful than a double edge sword and God is not a God of confusion, then let the Word bring correction. Sit back, watch God do His work and enjoy the show.

Fourth and Last, trust the spirit of power, After all, this is not about your knowledge or their willingness, whose religion is better or who can quote more scriptures. The purpose is for everyone to come closer to God including you and I. Trust the power of His word, the power of His name.

2008/9/26 22:16Profile
LoveHim

Indiana, US

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses

brother mike (reformer),

Nice to hear from you my friend.

Concerning the Jehovah's Witnesses, I have found by much experience the last 2-3 years that probably the best work on JW'S that I ever read was the work by Walter Martin called "Kingdom of the Cults".

David Reed, a former JW, has also written many books about understanding the heart of a JW.

There are many websites like www.letusreason.org and www.carm.org that answer alot of the questions and show the many differences between an average bible believing christian and the JW.(I apologize if we are not supposed to write about other websites).

There is so much that I would like to tell you about Jehovah Witnesses, but it would be very long. But if you would like to talk more about the Witnesses, then feel free to pm me and i'll give you my phone #.

I know the many twisting and deceiving doctrines and literature that the Watchtower puts out and is swallowed by its followers can almost feel exhausting, but after studying this thing out you will have a more sure faith in our God and Savior Jesus Christ.

your brother,
phil

2008/9/26 23:32Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
Be careful here; they're fixing to leave. You just smashed a gaping hole in their Mothership and they need to get away so they can try to tape it back up.

And then they will return to their Watchtower brotherhood with the questions you raised and will come with an answer that they hope will silence your objection.

The point with the JW's is it is very difficult to win a logical point with them - or to get them to admit it. It is, instead, a spiritual battle and it may require lots of encounters with compassionate, persistent Christians who will not bend or bow to their doctrines. And go to their house and talk with them! That just might impress them! (I know of one case where a couple did that and they admitted they were impressed!)

Most Christians have been taught to steer clear of them and so they treat them like "lepers". But they are human, like another poster said. If they are sick, ill, ailing, in need of something, it has been known that Christian benevolence will touch their heart.

Blessings,
ginnyrose

2008/9/27 8:23Profile
Fuegodedios

Richmond, VA

Re:

I agree with brother Paul West. I have them come to my house and when you use the tactic he suggested they go running. In fact I think sometimes I am public enemy number one they send different ones(JW) to my home. But I continue to walk in love and be very kind to them I think this is what really keeps them coming back. one lady asked me why things were like they are and I got to share the gospel with her. But yes as brother Paul says attack them at the head crush the head ( the watchtower society) and the body just dies. Understand the Gospel one of the things JW's do is take away a salvation by grace through faith and substitute it for a salvation of works. be blessed dear friend

2008/9/27 9:14Profile

Re:

I knew that there would be lot's of good wisdom added to this thread!
Brother as you apply these idea's keep in mind that your next door nieghbors, are your nieghbors. They will be next to you maybe a long time, so patiently keep the door's of communication open. Plan for a long term patient strategy with them.
Again I don't know their level of knowledge and commitment compared to the jw's who go door to door.
If you have any come to your door treat them with as much respect as possible. They may go to the same kingdom hall as your nieghbors and so they may talk to each other about you.

Finally keep soaking this all in PRAYER! God will give you guidance on right times to apply all the suggestions form this tread. Also get someone to pray with you for them. As ginnyrose said this is a spiritual battle, not just a knowledge battle. Both Spirit and truth are needed to open their eye's. God bless.

2008/9/27 9:26

Re:

Quote:

thingsabove wrote:
Hello friend. I hear your heart concerns and questions. I will try and give some advice if I may.
First I know that it can be a difficult thing to have JW neighbors and kiddo's playing together etc. However you have an awesome oppurtunity to witness to them the truth. In fact you are already witnessing to them maybe without even realizing it.

They see your actions as a neighbor. They watch you and maybe would be open to being friends in spite of the belief differences. You have the Spirit of God in you that casts out all fear and gives you a confidence that can withstand the deception that they are under.

Next they are first human then secondly jw's.
They experience all the stress, temptations, challenges that you and all of us experience. They may even have added stress of trying to measure up to jw's ways. You have the secret that can remove the impact of the stress' and replace with hope, joy and true peace in Christ.

I don't know what your knowledge is of jw teaching. If it is weak you may consider Ed deckers site saintsalive. He is a former mormon but also has info on jw's.

Ray Comfort has some good advice on how to witness with Jw's were you avoid most of the doctrinal wrangling and get to the heart of using the law to convince of sin then follow up with faith repentance and the cross. Check on his sight at living waters.com

Ultimatly the more love and genuine neighborly concern, willing to help with whatever and even inviting them to barbecue will touch their heart. You can then even more effectively share Christ.

These are just suggestions to open up idea's for you. I'm sure others on SI will have more good advice to share. God bless you mike.take care.

thanks for that advice...we are pretty good neighbors, even though there is a language barrier, I often offer my assistance if I see them needed some help. My wife and I really enjoy playing with there children in the yard...they are so sweet...we had a bigger water gun fight, they loved it! I am sadden by the deception for them and the children. I will check out that website and get some education and trust the Lord for His guidance and providence.

Blessings to you

2008/9/27 13:35
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
I have them come to my house and when you use the tactic he suggested they go running.

This is very true, and so I repeat: only bring up the Watchtower's failed prophecies when you're ready to terminate the conversation. This is the atomic bomb to end the discussion, so use it strategically, judiciously, wisely. When you bring it out, they'll start packing the briefcases and looking at their watches. I'm serious. They will put a black mark on your house (meaning it is not to be solicited anymore on their sorties), and it will be the last time you'll have them falling in your lap. So make sure you're ready with a clear, compact gospel presentation.

Also, bear in mind that most JW's are ex-evangelicals, meaning most were unregenerate people just attending church along with the masses and have a rudimentary head-knowledge of the Christian gospel. If God has given up on them, nothing you say will effect them - after all, they've heard your "trinitarian" spiel a million times over and will automatically tune out Satan's propaganda. Remember, [i]you[/i] are the one deluded and they are saved. But you'll never know if God is still working on a JW's heart...so pray for discernment lest you cast you pearls in the wrong direction.

Brother Paul

2008/9/27 13:53Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy