SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Giving up Non Christian Music and Films

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

Quote:

HeartSong wrote:
Quote:
It bugs me people can pay entrance fees to see a group play, it is sad the "poor" who cant afford the fee can not enjoy the worship and praise.

Maybe this is a blessing. Could it be that this is one of the ways that the sheep are divided from the goats? For the rich man, trusting in his riches, can not enjoy the things that are free - for he perceives them to be of little or no value. And a greedy man will not offer his services for free for to him this would be foolishness.

My opinion is God is not inside where you have to pay to get in, may it be a WOF meeting with Benny, or a music concert with a popular group.

God will not be bought with a price, neither His spirit

2008/9/3 23:14Profile
HeartSong

Re:

Quote:
God will not be bought with a price, neither His spirit

Amen.

2008/9/3 23:27Profile
JoanM

Re: Someone suggested to me: If you’re uncertain, give it up until you are not uncertain.

I must not know what people mean by Christian music. Do people dance to it with one another and worship God with it?

[u]KrispyKrittr wrote[/u]: “[i]As far as Christian music is concerned, too many Christians who think themselves super-spiritual tend to throw the baby out with the bathwater when it comes to music.[/i]” The last time I heard that argument it was embedded in a thread about Lakeland. Is it super-spiritual (super-natural) to say that Christian music is something that is offered to the Lord? As in an offering? As in a free will offering?

Maybe one way to keep things clear would be if Christian musicians did not call what they do a ministry or present themselves as ministering to the Body of Christ like Krispy doesn’t call his business a “structural engineering ministry”.

[u]KrispyKrittr wrote[/u]: [i]I'm more concerned about Christians who are living wordly. I went to a wedding this weekend attended by a lot of people from a prominent, very large Southern Baptist Church here in the Asheville NC area. The couple getting married attend there and claim to be born again, and most of the people in attendance claim the be born again. I know a lot of them.[/i]...[AND]...[i]By the way, altho the wedding was not held at that big church and was not officiated by any of the staff of that big church (mainly because the bride and groom couldnt afford the facility rental and cost of their own pastors)... I think what I witnessed at that reception speaks quite loudly about that church.[/i]

It sounds like their Church “is living worldly” and attracted/taught the couple the same world view. I now have a new question to ask of any church I would attend. “If I and my family are faithful members here to grow up in Christ and one of my children finds God’s choice for a spouse, will they need to plan to pay money to be married in the church? When I die will I need to pay money to be buried in the Church?” Alternatively, one could consider including on the invitations to either service the itemized bill from the Church along with the cost of the ticket to come to the “event”.

OK my spirit does not recommend either of those. My spirit weeps that there are pastors that charge to marry, or bury, ones that they have pastured and nurtured in the Lord and musicians that would charge to play at a wedding or memorial service of brothers and sisters they have worshiped with.

OK, I still have this feeling (in my flesh?) that I want the name of that “church” and want to e-mail them a “Let me see if I’ve got this straight…” kind of note.

I can tell if I write about how many kegs of beer and cases of wine would be acceptable (enough to relax/get a buzz but not fall down drunk..?), there will be a big uproar and I kinda (really) love posters here so I won’t (but did a bit). Besides I don’t really know what a moderate drinker is.

2008/9/3 23:39Profile

Re:

Quote:
OK, I still have this feeling (in my flesh?) that I want the name of that “church” and want to e-mail them a “Let me see if I’ve got this straight…” kind of note.

Actually I did name the church orginally, but quickly took it out of my post because it could probably become a legal issue not only for myself but also for SI. It's not important which church it is anyway... it's represenative of a lot of churches today.

Back to music... I understand what you're all saying. If it is ministry it should be without charge. I'm not defending people who do charge for ministry. And if you've been here for awhile I very much DO have an issue over money being the bottom line for most of Christian music... and also the fact that ALL of Christian music today in the general market is owned by huge secular companies such as SONY, Fox, etc. That in itself is unscriptural because they are unequally yoked together.

There are some honest musicians out there who do state that music is their craft, and as Christians they write music that is "Christian" because thats where they are coming from. They do not necessarily call it ministry.

My real issue is that we Joe-Christian types sit back and declare any music that mentions Christ to be ministry... and therefore give it to me for free. Thats my contention.

If a musician calls his music "ministry", then yes... there can be a legitimate argument made that he should not be getting rich off the gospel. But lets be real, most Christian music is entertainment... not ministry. Unfortunately most artists cant or wont admit that.

There are those who truly are ministers. Steve Camp comes to mind... and he does offer all his music for free and doesnt charge people to come to his concerts. Keith Green was the pioneer of that.

But then you have a band like the Resurrection Band (now retired after being together from 1972-2000)... a hard rock Christian band who used the proceeds from album and ticket sales to financially support their inner city ministry in Chicago... Jesus People USA. They didnt get rich on their music. There's about 100 people living in that ministry, and each family lives on a "fixed income" (gets a certain "salary"... sharing all things). They run soup kitchens, etc for the homeless and street people etc. Here's an example where the music financially supported the work of the [b]real[/b] ministry.

I think that is totally acceptable, not to mention creative.

If a band comes to town, says they are a Christian band and can admit that what they are are entertainers... fine. I've been to Christian concerts where I was thoroughly entertained, had a great time, was encouraged in the Lord... and paid for the ticket. I dont have a problem with that.

HOWEVER... if they come to town calling what they do a crusade or a "worship experience"... and they charge people to come and worship... yea, I have an issue with that.

Krispy

2008/9/4 7:37
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: Giving up Non Christian Music and Films

Can we just look at the title of the original post of this thread?

I believe it said, 'Giving up NON Christian Music and Films'

So why we have included Christian ones is anyones guess.

Oh well, I'll leave you to it.

2008/9/4 8:55Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
Besides I don’t really know what a moderate drinker is.

Someone who drinks only in secular company and never in view of church friends. ;-)

2008/9/4 9:15Profile

Re:

Quote:
Someone who drinks only in secular company and never in view of church friends.

No, thats a hypocrite. I've never shied away from this topic with church folks. Why? Because telling believers that any consumption of alcohol is a sin is a [b]lie[/b]. It's not Biblical whatsoever.

Does the Bible warn against alcohol? Absolutely. And most believers need to heed that warning. But nowhere in scripture will you find a prohibition against alcohol. But today a lot of Christians are more forgiving toward an adulterer than they are someone who has a glass of wine.

I'm not about promoting the consumption of alcohol... I'm about promoting [b]truth[/b].

Krispy

2008/9/4 9:33

Re:

Quote:
So why we have included Christian ones is anyones guess.

Uhmmm... perhaps you didnt read the original post, which stated this:

Quote:
The christian world music is hillsong and other things to keep a reality of Jesus whilst keeping things of the World!

No one hi-jacked this thread. The original post headed down that road.

Krispy

2008/9/4 11:02
Compton

Re:

Quote:
I've never shied away from this topic with church folks.

Nor would anyone who knows you ever mistake you for a moderate on any topic Krispy. ;-) That's what I love about you!

MC

2008/9/4 11:14Profile

Re:

lol... yea, you're right.

Thats why I try as hard as I can to stay out of political debates on this forum!

Krispy

2008/9/4 11:16

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy