SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Should Christian Parents send their kids to public schools?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Hey... I listened to this entire sermon. Y'all need to listen to this. It's good stuff.

Here's the link:

http://www.voddiebaucham.org/vbm/Podcast/Entries/2007/1/17_The_Centrality_of_the_Home.html

Krispy

2008/5/31 11:31
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hello...

Does anyone have a curriculum that they would recommend for homeschooling? I've been speaking to my in-laws about this, and one has actually decided to homeschool his children next year. Ironically, he is a public high school AP teacher (Advanced Placement Trig and Calculus). He asked about which curriculum is most recommended. Any ideas?

I believe that Krispy stated somewhere that he used more than one. Which ones do you use -- and which do you find to be the most beneficial?

Thanks for the help!

:-)

2008/5/31 13:04Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

Quote:
Does anyone have a curriculum that they would recommend for homeschooling?

I can highly recommend [url=http://www.clp.org/]Christian Light Education[/url]. We have been using their curriculum for 3 years now and it provides sound, Bible based education through the high school level. I am pleased with the content and quality of the lessons. They also can offer achievement testing, records keeping, and a high school diploma through their "Homeschool Plus" program. It is affordable also.

In Christ,

Ron

2008/5/31 13:23Profile

Re: THE MYTH OF NEUTRALITY

The Myth of Neutrality

What has been the most successful lie in the history of Christianity? There can be no doubt: the myth of neutrality. This myth has kept Christians for two thousand years from developing explicitly and exclusively Biblical solutions to their problems. They have returned, generation after generation, to Greek, Roman, and modern philosophy and institutions, on the assumption that God and Satan, good and evil, Christians and non-Christians share certain fundamental beliefs, or at least share certain views of the world around them. But they don't. Every fact is an interpreted fact. Satan interprets the world in his way, while God interprets it in another. Satan sees this world as rightfully his, not God's; God sees it as rightfully his, not Satan's. There can be no reconciliation between these two views. All attempts at reconciling them necessarily lead to Satan's view: that God has no right to tell us how to interpret His world.

There is no neutrality. There may be indifference. A person may not care which athletic team wins a game, but he cannot be neutral about whose creation has made possible the game. Neutrality is the devil's most successful myth. He used it on Eve. He persuaded her to become a neutral experimenter. She could test God's word, to see whether or not she would die on the day she ate the fruit. "Just a neutral scientific experiment," he implied. "What have you got to lose?" The answer: everything.

The modern institution that is most self-consciously built in terms of the myth of neutrality is the "public" school, meaning the government school, meaning the taxpayer-financed school. Its legal foundation is the myth of neutrality. No religious or sectarian views are supposed to be taught in a public school, because people of many different religious beliefs are required by law to support it financially. Expenditures of tax money are supposed to be neutral, non-religious expenditures.

All this talk of neutral education is sheer nonsense. You cannot teach without ultimate concepts of true and false. Label one idea false-the evolution of the universe out of random matter that exploded with a big bang 15 billion years ago-and you have attacked some taxpayer's deeply held religious convictions. Label another idea true-the evolution of mankind from lower animals, for example-and you have attacked a different taxpayer's deeply held religious view. You are using his money to indoctrinate his children with ideas that he despises. Without exception, the major victims today are conservative Christians whose children are under deliberate religious and intellectual attack by taxpayer-financed schools.

Everything on earth is a battle between the principles of the Bible and anti-Biblical principles. A war is in progress. But Christians have refused to face this' fact for well over a century in the field of education. It would involve giving up "free" humanist slop in the trough.

Nowhere is this war more clearly in progress than in the battle for the minds of men. And the major battlefield is the field of taxpayer-financed education. Men are battling for the loyalty and obedience of the next generation. And for a hundred years, Christians have been losing the battle. Why? Because they have decided to grant to their rivals the fundamental point: the myth of neutrality. They have accepted as morally valid-indeed, morally preferable-the tax-supported compulsory school. Since the 1840's in the United States, this institution has been the targeted prize of God-hating, humanist kidnappers, beginning with Massachusetts' Horace Mann, who used the God-hating, man-deifying, evil school system of apostate Prussia as his model for the public schools.

What is a school system that teaches mankind's evolution out of meaningless slime, if not whoredom? What is a school system that makes it illegal to teach God's law as the only valid moral standard for mankind, if not whoredom? What is a school system that the U.S. Supreme Court says is not even allowed to post the Ten Commandments on a wall in the classroom, if not whoredom? What is a school system that teaches that the Bible is not a God-inspired book, but at best "literature"-no better than Shakespeare's plays, Hemingway's novels, or for that matter, the Marquis de Sade's novels? Everything is relative, after all, says the myth of neutrality.

Christian parents may protest, our children do not necessarily believe everything their public school teachers tell them for twelve years (or sixteen, or twenty), eight hours a day, five days a week, eight months a year, plus homework. No, our children will believe what we tell them (after they spend three hours a day watching television), and what they learn in church on Sunday. Are we to believe that moral atmosphere and moral temptations count for nothing? Of course they count. Then how can any Christian believe that the public school environment counts for nothing?

Christians who would not tolerate for a moment the idea of state-supported compulsory churches are strong supporters of state-supported compulsory education. They are intellectually schizophrenic.

Christians want their education, but they want it cheap. So it has cost them almost everything, just as it cost Eve.

by G. North

2008/6/1 0:46

Re:

Quote:

ccchhhrrriiisss wrote:
Hello...

Does anyone have a curriculum that they would recommend for homeschooling? I've been speaking to my in-laws about this, and one has actually decided to homeschool his children next year. Ironically, he is a public high school AP teacher (Advanced Placement Trig and Calculus). He asked about which curriculum is most recommended. Any ideas?

I believe that Krispy stated somewhere that he used more than one. Which ones do you use -- and which do you find to be the most beneficial?

Thanks for the help!

:-)

Depending on where your in-law is located, he might want to check out homeschool curriculum fairs. It's a great way to look over different curriculum and talk to people there. These fairs usually take place in the spring...but there are some in June also I think. [url=http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/calendar/events.htm]Here is a link that might be helpful in that direction.[/url]

[url=http://www.bjupress.com/distance_learning/bjhomesat/support.html]BJU Homesat[/url] is an excellent program if the parents wants to use video classes. My younger sister did the biology course this past school year and loved it. BJU is probably the most similar to the classroom experience since with some of the live classes there is student involvement with the teachers (calling, etc). Some Christian schools or private schools use BJU's homesat program.

There's a ton of curriculim out there and a lot depends upon the teaching methods that the parents prefer. Some parents stick to one curriculim base like Abeka, while others use this and that, and then there is also classical education like [url=http://www.triviumpursuit.com/index.php]Trivium Pursuit[/url].

So there's a few suggestions...I'm kinda surprised you haven't had more input on this subject....

------

A quote I found this morning by Andrew Murray that seems to tie in well with this thread:

"The future of the Church and world depends, to an extent we little conceive, on the education of the day. The Church may be seeking to evangelize the heathen and be giving up her own children to secular and materialistic influences. Pray for schools and colleges, and that the Church may realize and fulfill its momentous duty of caring for its children."

~Andrew Murray

2008/6/1 14:28

Re:

Roniya is correct, get to a curriculum fair or a homeschool used book sale. Also, google homeschool curriculum.

I will warn you that because homeschooling is becomng very popular there are those who figured out that there is a lot of money to be made... we've become a "market". Not all homeschool curriculum is equal.

My wife has a very eclectic style of teaching, meaning that she draws from many different curriculums. Some BJU stuff, some Abecca (not sure I spelled that right!), etc.

Some people are able to do it like my wife does, but some people wont be able to, and need curriculum thats already laid out for them.

Point is tho, there is no lack of homeschool curriculum being offered out there, so do some googling and I'm sure it wont be long and you'll be suffering from information overload.

Krispy

2008/6/2 12:47

Re:

Since the last day of public school is tomorrow for my kids I usually go to the library to get them caught up in any areas where they are lagging behind. One of my daughters needs help in geography so if anyone knows of any good websights please let me know.

I'm thinking about homeschooling them at night after they get home from school each day and even more on the weekend. Nothing heavy but maybe just sit at the table and do their homework with them. That way I can get involved in what they are learning.

I used Abeka when I homeschooled my kids and they did really well and got them off to a good start in public school. I'm glad that I atleast was able to teach them how to read---that was very rewarding.

Getting involved with your kids in every area of their life is important along with homeschooling.

2008/6/2 13:09

Re:

I agree with you about being involved in the lives of your kids. I wonder tho if "homeschooling" them at night and on the weekends after all that time in the public school all week isnt going to burn them out. They need to be kids.

My kids usually get started on their school work about 8 in the morning and are finished by around 1pm. Depending on the day and the schedule sometimes they dont get to their school work until after lunch... but once they are done... they are running out the back door to go play. Our two older boys have odd jobs they do for some of our neighbors, etc.

Kids need to be kids. As stated before, while we consider education to be one of the highest priorities... raising godly men is more important.

Just wondering... is their a reason you're not homeschooling now?

Krispy

2008/6/2 16:34

Re:

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
I agree with you about being involved in the lives of your kids. I wonder tho if "homeschooling" them at night and on the weekends after all that time in the public school all week isnt going to burn them out. They need to be kids.

My kids usually get started on their school work about 8 in the morning and are finished by around 1pm. Depending on the day and the schedule sometimes they dont get to their school work until after lunch... but once they are done... they are running out the back door to go play. Our two older boys have odd jobs they do for some of our neighbors, etc.

Kids need to be kids. As stated before, while we consider education to be one of the highest priorities... raising godly men is more important.

Just wondering... is their a reason you're not homeschooling now?

Krispy

Oh I agree I just like to get involved with helping them with their homework. Especially when it comes to History and Science because the public school system does such a poor job in those areas. We do alot of fun stuff too like crafts. All of my girls are learning how to knit, crochet and quilt. Right now they are making some things for the pregnancy center. Girls need to be taught how to do what girls do and that is to be keepers of the home.

I don't homeschool anymore because my husband prefers that I work and that means they have to attend public school. He would rather have me save for them to go to college but I'm sure we will still have to take out a loan in order to do that. He will ultimately leave the decision up to them but I am trying to teach the girls God's way and that is to be a keeper of the home and raise their children. The souls of your children are so much more important than money but if you have to put them in a public school like I do than God is sufficient and I believe He can keep them from falling.

We pray alot together and try to have devotions every night. My husbands said that if things get unbearable in the public school system than we will bring them home.

2008/6/2 20:46
JRuth

Moscow, PA

Re:

I am home schooled, and would want it no other way. Its really great to be able to have your Mom as your teacher. I think there are some advantages in being home schooled also... I learned to read before I was 4, and I know that I would have a problem going to any type of school, because I do best when there is nooooo talking, and some music on in the background (which you can't do in a school) :-D Just to name a couple!!!

Well, thats my idea at least!!! 8-)

2008/6/11 17:27Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy