SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Mental Disorders... Spiritual?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
DelightedInU

Escondido, CA

Mental Disorders... Spiritual?

There are so many disorders and diseases in the world today. New ones are being diagnosed constantly. But I mainly wanted to focus on the mental disorders. Like Depression, Bi-Polar, ADD, Schizophrenia, ect.

How did all of a sudden all of these mental disorders arise? Hundreds of years ago, none of these existed. Even a hundred years ago, they didn't. Maybe there were a few people who had these disorders but didn't know what they were, but nowhere near the mass amounts of people getting diagnosed with them everyday. How did people get along before without all the drugs we have today to treat these disorders?

My real question is, do you think these mental disorders could be of a spiritual nature? Maybe demon possesion or oppression?

For example, I personally think that depression has arised because people have taken their eyes off God and put them on their own circumstances. Everything is about them. And our country is trying to fill that hole in their hearts with everything else except God, the only person who can make them whole. I think depression is because a person is being selfish. If they would put others before themselves they would find a reason for living. Now, I do think there could be a medical type of depression, with chemical imbalances and such, but for the most part that why I think so many people are depressed.

Other disorders, I'm not quite as opinionated about. I just don't know. But where did all these mental problems come from? There has to be an explaination of why they just arose. Do you think that we are treating a spiritual problem with drugs? Do you think satan is trying to drug up people because God wants us to be sober-minded? We prescribe drugs at the drop of a hat. I don't think we need all these drugs.

I hope you guys understand what I'm trying to say. And please don't think that I'm saying that if you have a mental disorder that your of satan or are demon posessed. These are just things that I wonder about. I don't have a strong opinion about these things. I just want to know why these mental disorders just suddenly arised.

Sorry the post is so long... :-(

2004/6/17 18:41Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Mental Disorders... Spiritual?

Great question, have wondered and noticed the same thing.

Quote:
My real question is, do you think these mental disorders could be of a spiritual nature? Maybe demon possesion or oppression?

Have a strong suspicsion that is so...
Following the logical progression that sin isn't going to get better only worse and the only real cure is being pushed aside...

Think Chanin and some others have touched on this a bit, will be interesting to hear others thoughts.

2004/6/17 19:28Profile
Jimm

Harare, ZIMBABWE

Re: Mental Disorders... Spiritual?

Miss Jennifer

That is a very interesting point you bring up, I had never though about this before. Upon reflection, I do agree with your view that these diseases are messengers of Satan, as are most afflictions of the flesh.

In addition, to support your statement about these diseases not being restricted to those who are of Satan, a messenger of Satan afflicted Paul:

2Corinthinas12: 7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure. 8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. 9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

James

2004/6/17 21:18Profile
moreofHim

Re: depression

Hi Jennifer!

I think it was Doug who asked about this before. Here is the previous thread. Hope this helps some.
[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1862&forum=35#11932]Christians and Depression[/url]

In Him, Chanin

2004/6/17 21:31Profile

Re:

To know whether or not ANYTHING is spiritual or natural, we must seek God on our faces in order to receive the proper answer; some things ARE spiritual and yet others are not.

Let us pray.

Pastor D

2004/6/18 10:40
Jimm

Harare, ZIMBABWE

Spiritual vs Natural

Pastor Daniel

Sir, when we speak of things being “natural” does that mean that these things are innate in creation and therefore part of God’s plan. Does disease fall under this category, or do I have the wrong frame of thought all together?

Your son in Christ

James

2004/6/18 10:57Profile
dougkristen

Re: Spiritual vs Natural

Yes it was me who started this topic a while ago. I am convinced that depression could be many different things. Deep guilt over sin, spiritual oppression of the enemy. I am not quick to blame satan for everything because I think that depression is something that we do to ourselves. Thought I also believe that Satan can be at work to destroy us and cause us to be depressed. Also those of us who are more "melancholy?" tend to be more sensitive and more moody at times. I for one have had to deal with depression and realize for me it was a combination of self-pity and guilt over sin that had to be repented of. My pastor also thinks depression could be a physical thing related to our diet, (too much sugar/caffeine) and the destruction to our bodies not being stable too. I hope this helps.

Grace,
Doug

2004/6/18 11:52Profile
Jimm

Harare, ZIMBABWE

Quick to blame satan for everything

Mr. Kristen

Thank you for that post, you have realigned my though process to the question at hand. I had gone off on a tangent, and blindly associated mental disorders with disease (caused by viruses, bacteria and the like). I also neglected the fact that some physical ailments are caused by “accidents” (I still think God has a plan even in “accidents”). Thank you again sir.

James

2004/6/18 12:20Profile
moreofHim

Re: depression and blood sugar

Yes, blood sugar can also be a factor in depression. many people are very sensative to sugars in food (and I'm not just talking about white refined sugar- but too many carbohydrates in general). When people over eat these foods or just over eat at all- their blood sugar gets very high for a short period then comes crashing down- which can cause depression.

The way Americans eat today= lot's of carbs (pasta, refined sugar, snacks, etc..) and just an overload of food alltogether- can cause symptoms of depression. Knowing the sin of gluttony- knowing that they are eating what they are not supposed to be- is also hidden sin. kind of goes hand in hand too.

In Him, chanin

2004/6/18 12:24Profile
DelightedInU

Escondido, CA

Re:

Quote:
I think it was Doug who asked about this before. Here is the previous thread. Hope this helps some. [u]Christians and Depression[/u]

Thanks for the link, Chanin. It was interesting, but not quite the same discussion I was hoping for. His was more directed toward Christians and only about depression. I was wondering about everyone in general, [b]especially non-Christians and all types of mental disorders[/b]. And I totally agree with Doug that depression is something we do to ourselves and of our flesh.

Does satan use these things as a way to distract or keep people from Christ? Something I noticed, is that 100's of years ago more people had a basic faith or belief in God. Society was more moral, in general. It just keeps getting worse. So, I was thinking that the lack of belief now a days has opened the door for satan to work, in the form of these disorders.

Good point, Jimm, about satan using these things in your first post. Thanks everyone for answering so far. I'd still like to hear more views on the subject. :-)

2004/6/18 12:31Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy