SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : If you celebrate Good Friday... You're too late!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re: If you celebrate Good Friday... You're too late!

BlazedbyGod said

Quote:
What I mean is, this, this Sunday all over the US people will be celebrating "Easter" or "resurrection sunday"...but the truth is, if we want to really observe it as the Jews did, then we need to observe our " Saturday EVENING" (which is their Sunday morning, INSTEAD of our Sunday morning)

I understand what you're suggesting, but let me put this from Genesis to you, to illustrate why Sunday morning is fine for celebrating Jesus' resurrection.

Genesis 1:5
And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night.
And the evening and the morning were the first day.

In other words, the picture of how a day is constituted, is, it [i]begins[/i], in an attitude of rest.

Thus, even if Jesus was alive as early as sundown on Saturday, it would have been totally in order for Him to begin with a rest - perhaps a sleep - before He began to think about 'rising'.

Here is a different use of the word 'day'.

Mark 1:35
And in the morning, rising up a great while before day, he went out, and departed into a solitary place, and there prayed.

Here is another possibility: that having risen within the tomb, He prepared Himself through a time of fellowship with His Father, but could not leave until the angels came to roll away the stone, perhaps at His own invitation.

2008/3/20 11:49

Re:

Quote:
If you celebrate Good Friday... You're too late!

Close Enough! 8-)

2008/3/20 12:08
LoveHim

Indiana, US

Re:

there are a couple of things i was thinking about when looking at this stuff..

like john 19:31. it says that it was preparation day because the next sabbath was a high day. high day means that the sabbath and first day of a feast land on the same day right?? so what i don't understand is if Jesus was crucified on either wednesday or thursday at 6pm, then wouldn't friday be the first day of the feast and saturday be the 2nd day of the feast and the sabbath. but then it wouldn't be a high day as john said. that only makes sense in the thinking of Jesus dying on friday at the 9th hour (3pm) and the next day being both the sabbath and the first day of a feast day.

do you see what i mean? and how do you guys understand all those verses i listed on pg 2 of this thread that said that He will rise [b]on the third day[/b]. if He died wednesday or thursday and rose after 6 pm saturday, then He did not rise on the third day, but after the third full day.

not trying to prove a point, just trying to let you know what's going on in my mind when looking at this stuff..

hope it gives us something to think about. ;-)
phil

2008/3/20 12:16Profile

Hi LoveHim,

Quote:
so what i don't understand is if Jesus was crucified on either wednesday or thursday at 6pm, then wouldn't friday be the first day of the feast

If you check out Leviticus 23, and possibly some other chapters where sabbaths are set by the Lord, you'll find they aren't only on the seventh day and 'sabbaths' isn't referring only to Saturdays.

What is more important in the keeping of Passover, is that it began on 14th Nisan. Now, there were sacrifices made every day, but Passover is the day of Atonement. That's why the thick temple veil being torn from above could not have been missed by those ministering (on whichever day was Atonement).

The day of the week, then, was not nearly as important as [u]the day of the month[/u]. (Link to Hebrew calendar in a previous post, p3 this thread.)

(Edited.)

2008/3/20 12:54
LoveHim

Indiana, US

Re:

Quote:
If you check out Leviticus 23, and possibly some other chapters where sabbaths are set by the Lord, you'll find they aren't only on the seventh day and 'sabbaths' isn't referring only to Saturdays.

thanks for that. yeah, i will definitely check that out..

to be quite honest, i would desire that it not be on the saturday for chronological reasons, but i want truth more than my own opinion or desires..

anyways, thanks.
phil

ps. what do you do with all the verses i listed on pg 2 about Him rising "on the third day"? just curious.

2008/3/20 13:14Profile

Hi phil,

Quote:
what do you do with all the verses i listed on pg 2 about Him rising "on the third day"? just curious.

I agree with you. But, looking at what I said on p3
Quote:
Going back to His death: if it is reckoned to have been a Wednesday, then He was laid in His tomb on Thursday*; Friday was the first day (after His burial), in the tomb; Saturday was the second day in the tomb; [b]the third day when He arose, was Sunday[/b].

while believing that whichever day He was crucified, He rose on the third day, I see that to fit His resurrection into 17th Nisan, 14th Nisan has to be counted as the day of His death, with 15th and 16th as the first two days in the tomb, and 17th as the day of resurrection.

Definitely, I fully accept that He rose on the third day. By then though, He had also been dead for three days by Hebrew reckoning, since dying in the last three hours of 14th, would be counted as if He had died 20 hours earlier just the same. The third day after His death was really the fourth, if you include the day [u]of[/u] His death.

Matthew 12:40
For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

(I wonder if the days and nights are really in that order in the Greek?)

2008/3/20 17:27
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hello…

I haven’t read through all of the posts in this thread, but have you considered the following passage?

Quote:

[b]Luke 23:50-56[/b]

50 And, behold, there was a man named Joseph, a counsellor; and he was a good man, and a just:
51 (The same had not consented to the counsel and deed of them;) he was of Arimathaea, a city of the Jews: who also himself waited for the kingdom of God.
52 This man went unto Pilate, and begged the body of Jesus.
53 And he took it down, and wrapped it in linen, and laid it in a sepulchre that was hewn in stone, wherein never man before was laid.
54 [b]And that day was the preparation, and the sabbath drew on[/b].
55 And the women also, which came with him from Galilee, followed after, and beheld the sepulchre, and how his body was laid.
56 And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and rested the sabbath day according to the commandment.

[b]John 19:31[/b]

31The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.

Verse 54 of Luke chapter 23 indicates that Joseph took the body of Christ and prepared him on, well, [i]Preparation Day[/i]. They apparently wanted to hurry because “[i]the Sabbath drew on[/i].” Now, we know that the Sabbath begins on what we would consider Friday evening at 6 P.M. (because “[i]the evening and the morning were the first day[/i]”). This would, on the surface, indicate that Christ was crucified on Friday before 6 P.M.

However, there is an argument that the Friday was considered a “special Sabbath.” This would give weight to the argument that our Lord was crucified on Thursday.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn’t [i]Preparation Day[/i] the day spent preparing for the evening Passover? We’ve long held that Jesus was the actual Passover Lamb. If this is true, then Jesus also celebrated the Passover on what we would call Thursday evening (which is Friday to Jews). He was then killed during the day on Friday (still Friday to the Jews). He would then have to be buried before 6 P.M. (or the Sabbath evening to the Jews). A Jewish Sunday begins at 6 P.M. on the Gentile Saturday evening. According to Scripture, Jesus rose early in the morning following the Sabbath.

This would seemingly indicate a Friday (day), Friday (evening, the evening Sabbath), Saturday (morning, the Sabbath day), Saturday (evening, the evening Sunday) and Sunday (morning, the day following the Sabbath). This accumulates to 3 [u]days[/u] and 2 [u]evenings[/u] spent in the tomb. Of course, one verse seems to indicate that Christ spent 3 days and 3 nights in the tomb (Matthew 12:40).

Unfortunately, this would seem to have been impossible according to such an interpretation – regardless of whether Jesus died on a Thursday or Friday. Jesus was buried during the day, and he rose during the day. This would seem to indicate that he spent one more day than night. However, if we can reason that Jesus resurrected before “day” (Sunday at 6 A.M.), then we can assume that he spent 3 days AND 3 nights only if he was crucified on Thursday (with Friday being a “special Sabbath”).

I guess it doesn't really matter which "day" Jesus died or resurrected. The important thing is that he died and resurrected!

:-)

2008/3/20 23:35Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him, I am good to go with just this, the dates, days and times He did this, does it really matter? We should be celebrating this everyday, Monday through Sunday of each week.

2008/3/21 2:40Profile
LoveHim

Indiana, US

Re:

Quote:

dorcas, i checked out that chapter, but it doesn't say anything other than the weekly sabbath and also the first and last day of feast are sabbaths. but it doesn't say anything about a high day (when a weekly sabbath and a first day of feast sabbath land on the same day). john 19:31 is a verse that i can't get away from when looking at this issue. it was preparation day for that sabbath was a [b]high day[/b]. if the first day of the feast was thursday or friday, then that sabbath wouldn't have been a high day, do you know what i mean?? that's the part that keeps getting me. the first day of the feast and the weekly sabbath have to fall on the same day to have a high day (at least that's as best as i have understood it and many commentaries have reinforced that). so i am lost in this as well.
Quote:
This would seemingly indicate a Friday (day), Friday (evening, the evening Sabbath), Saturday (morning, the Sabbath day), Saturday (evening, the evening Sunday) and Sunday (morning, the day following the Sabbath). This accumulates to 3 days and 2 evenings spent in the tomb. Of course, one verse seems to indicate that Christ spent 3 days and 3 nights in the tomb (Matthew 12:40).

brother chris, i don't know if that is exactly true. the jews count days backward from us going "evening and day the first day" (gen 1). so if Jesus died fridayaround the ninth hour- 3pm, then you have friday night and day, saturday night and day, and sunday night and day if He rose on the third day anytime after 6pm on saturday. so in effect if that was what happened, then you would have 3 days and 3 nights.
Quote:
I guess it doesn't really matter which "day" Jesus died or resurrected. The important thing is that he died and resurrected!

that's so true brother. i see both arguements for a wednesday,thursday, or a friday crucifixion. so for me, though i lean more toward a friday crucifixion, i definitely cannot be dogmatic about something like this.

it's just a pretty interesting to look at and study ya know?? ;-)
phil

2008/3/21 8:32Profile

Re:

Quote:

LoveHim wrote:
Quote:

dorcas, i checked out that chapter, but it doesn't say anything other than the weekly sabbath and also the first and last day of feast are sabbaths. but it doesn't say anything about a high day (when a weekly sabbath and a first day of feast sabbath land on the same day). john 19:31 is a verse that i can't get away from when looking at this issue. it was preparation day for that sabbath was a [b]high day[/b]. if the first day of the feast was thursday or friday, then that sabbath wouldn't have been a high day, do you know what i mean?? that's the part that keeps getting me. the first day of the feast and the weekly sabbath have to fall on the same day to have a high day (at least that's as best as i have understood it and many commentaries have reinforced that). so i am lost in this as well.
Quote:
This would seemingly indicate a Friday (day), Friday (evening, the evening Sabbath), Saturday (morning, the Sabbath day), Saturday (evening, the evening Sunday) and Sunday (morning, the day following the Sabbath). This accumulates to 3 days and 2 evenings spent in the tomb. Of course, one verse seems to indicate that Christ spent 3 days and 3 nights in the tomb (Matthew 12:40).

brother chris, i don't know if that is exactly true. the jews count days backward from us going "evening and day the first day" (gen 1). so if Jesus died fridayaround the ninth hour- 3pm, then you have friday night and day, saturday night and day, and sunday night and day if He rose on the third day anytime after 6pm on saturday. so in effect if that was what happened, then you would have 3 days and 3 nights.
Quote:

that's so true brother. i see both arguements for a wednesday,thursday, or a friday crucifixion. so for me, though i lean more toward a friday crucifixion, i definitely cannot be dogmatic about something like this.

it's just a pretty interesting to look at and study ya know?? ;-)
phil

My response:

On the 14th day of Nisan the blood of the sacrifice lamb is shed. The blood on the door brings salvation as the death angel passes overhead. It is the eve of the Passover and in the the Exodus that follows God's covenant people are delivered from the bondage of Egypt.

On the 14th day of Nisan in 32 A.D., on the eve of Passover (the 9th hour, or 3:00 P.M. at the time of the evening Sacrifice). The blood of the promised Sacrifice Lamb is shed. This is the redemption God has provided. It brings salvation to His covenant people, delivering them from the bondage of sin and death.

THE MEANING OF PASSOVER
Salvation comes by the blood of the Sacrifice Lamb !

After the Passover lambs were slain at "even". The Feast of Unleavened Bread began at sunset. All leaven, a type of sin, was removed from the houses and the unleavened bread was eaten throughout the seven days of the feast.

[b]On the 14th day of Nisan Jesus was buried shortly after the 9th hour (3:00 P.M.). He was the sinless unleavened 'Bread of Heaven' offered as the perfect sacrifice. Thus He fulfilled the Feast of Unleavened Bread.[/b]

THE FEAST OF UNLEAVENED BREAD
The unleavened "Bread of Heaven" is the sinless and accepted sacrifice.

Leviticus 23

1. And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying,
2. Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, Concerning the feasts of the Lord, which ye shall proclaim to be holy convocations, even these are my feasts.
3. Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: it is the sabbath of the Lord in all your dwellings. 4. These are the feasts of the Lord, even holy convocations, which ye shall proclaim in their seasons. 5. In the [b]fourteenth day of the first month at even is the Lord's passover.[/b] 6. And on the [b]fifteenth day of the same month is the feast of unleavened bread[/b] unto the Lord: seven days ye must eat unleavened bread. 7.[b] In the first day ye shall have an holy convocation: ye shall do no servile work therein.[/b] 8. But ye shall offer an offering made by fire unto the Lord seven days: in the seventh day is an holy convocation: ye shall do no servile work therein.

What we see above refers to the days of the original Passover, and how the Lords Celebration of these events were to take place. The Fifteenth day, of the first month is the beginning of the Feast of Unleavened bread. This day is a special day, that is to be celebrated as a day of Holy Convocation. This is referred to as a High Sabbath day, and is considered a Sabbath day, even though it occurs on other days (other than Saturday).

In the Gospels, other than John’s, this day is referred to as a Sabbath. In John’s Gospel, he tells us that it is a “High Day”:
John 19:31. The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.

Jesus rose from the dead on the first day of the week, which is Sunday. The Jewish day begins at 6:00 P.M. and continues until the next day at 6:00 P.M. So Sunday started at 6:00 P.M. on (our) Saturday, and ended at 6:00 P.M. on (their) Sunday. When the women came to the tomb on Sunday morning, at dawn, Jesus had already risen:
Matthew 28:1-6; Mark 16:1-7; Luke 24:1-9; John 20.

[b][color=990000]In summary, Jesus was crucified on the 14th day of the month at 9:00 A.M. (The time of the Morning Sacrifice). He died on the cross at 3:00 P.M(the time of the Evening Sacrifice).

The 15th day of the month (Friday)was the Feast of Unleavened Bread, that was celebrated as a High Holy Day, or a Sabbath day. This is the day that John refers to above in John 19:31.

The 16th is a Saturday, which is their normal Sabbath day.

The 17th is Sunday, or the first day of the week. Scripture tells us that Jesus rose from the dead on the “first day of the week”.

Jesus was placed into the tomb before the end of the Jewish day of the 14th (he had to be placed in the tomb before the High Day) the beginning of the Feast of Unleavened Bread that started at 6:00 P.M. on the 14th.

Time in the tomb- at least one to two hours on the day of the 14th.
All night and all day of the 15th
All night and all day of the 16th
All night of the 17th.

In our eyes it appears that Jesus was in the tomb for only two full days, Two full nights and only two-3 hours of the first day (14th). However Jews to this day do not measure their days and nights in hours like we do. If you were to spend several hours with some Jewish guests from Israel today, they would consider that they had spent the entire day with you. They have a different concept of time than we do, and they always have.

In the Jewish concept of time, Jesus did spend three days and three nights in the heart of the earth, even though by our standards he misses 9 to 10 day hours of one day to qualify for this event.[/color][/b]

Sincerely,

Walter

2008/3/21 19:58

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy