SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Jesus: The Complete Story on Discovery Channel

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
LoveHim

Indiana, US

Jesus: The Complete Story on Discovery Channel

did anyone watch the 3-hour series called "Jesus: the complete story"?? the first hour was on His birth and the events that surrounded it, the second hour was on His life, teachings, and healings, and the third hour was on His last week involving the passover, death and resurrection. it invoved a lot of archeologists and historians that showed what much of the cities and the temple may have looked like and they gave a lot of background on places that the New Testament talks about like the temple, the pool of bethsasda, and capernaum.

it was very informative and it did a pretty good job of talking about and sticking to the scripture in a lot of places. there are always a couple of parts where they give an opinion or both sides of an arguement like was Jesus really dead (swoon theory) and stuff like that, but overall i would say that it was a pretty good series for the background and information.

it was on the discovery channel and that is cable, so i don't know how many people could have watched it, but if you do get that channel, it may be on again sometime because of this being the week between palm sunday and resurrection sunday.

i hope that some may catch be able to see it,
phil

2008/3/18 8:17Profile

Re: Jesus: The Complete Story on Discovery Channel

I saw bits and pieces of it, and most of the 3rd hour. It was a little better than most of these documentaries, but still places a lot of doubt into the accuracies of scripture, and certainly did not approach scripture as the inspired Word of God... but then, these are secularist unbelievers who put this together, so what can you expect?

I absolutely do not allow my children to view these types of documentaries because of the seeds of doubt that they plant.

You're better off just reading the Bible and taking God at His Word.

There are plenty of documentaries and research groups that are Christian, and have a Biblical world view that produce some really good material. Seek out these things and forget the History Channel, National Geographic, etc etc.

Krispy

2008/3/18 9:34

Re:

i saw the first two sections. i thought they were well done and reflected many years of study, numerous archeological digs, and in general was supportive of the New Testament. they point out that there is no historical doubt that Jesus existed and was crucified by pilate, for example. they corroborate many of the stories told about Jesus, or at least show they were possible.

to dismiss them because they aren't done exclusively by Christians is not good practice. the producers may have been suspending their disbelief in order to do this story, but in the end they demonstrate that faith is historically justified and the story of Jesus' life, death and resurrection is a real possibility.

bub

2008/3/18 10:48

Re:

Quote:
to dismiss them because they aren't done exclusively by Christians is not good practice.

No surprise here... I completely disagree. There is nothing that an unbeliever has to say about scripture that I am interested in hearing.

Secondly, you have stated on here many many times that you do not believe that scripture without error, and you are an evolutionists... therefore, naturally, you would make the statement you made.

I dont say that to run you down, you know I like you, Bub. Just pointing out that you and I approach scripture from opposite ends of the spectrum. So when it comes to something like this documentary you and I will not agree with how scripture was handled.

Krispy

2008/3/18 11:25
LoveHim

Indiana, US

Re:

thank you bub, that's what i was talking about. the archeological sites and background information to me was well worth watching the program.

obviously it is not the holy scriptures, nor was it intended to be, but showed alot of the historical sites, cities, and people that the scriptures say. if the program was biased toward someone, it was biased mostly toward the scriptures and toward believers.

anyways, i only wanted to let people know that it was on and was for the most part an informative program that helps give background on the N.T. (especially the 2nd hour- ministry of Jesus).

have a great day :-)
phil

2008/3/18 11:32Profile

Re:

All I'm saying is that there are much better resources for that type of stuff that is done from a Biblical point of view... and I do warn people that anything produced by the History Channel, Discovery, etc etc is done from a non-Biblical, humanist, evolutionist point of view, and generally attempts to cast doubt on the Word of God.

If you're comfortable with that, go for it. But scripture clearly states:

[i]Psalm 1:1 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.[/i]

Krispy

2008/3/18 11:47
LoveHim

Indiana, US

Re:

Quote:
All I'm saying is that there are much better resources for that type of stuff that is done from a Biblical point of view... and I do warn people that anything produced by the History Channel, Discovery, etc etc is done from a non-Biblical, humanist, evolutionist point of view, and generally attempts to cast doubt on the Word of God.

If you're comfortable with that, go for it. But scripture clearly states:

Psalm 1:1 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.

Krispy

brother krispy, in most things i would agree with you. i also would be cautious when watching stuff like this for non-christian views and beliefs. i also hold these programs up to the word of God to see if it stands or falls.

but brother, if you did not watch much of this particular program (all 3 hours), then how do you have an informed opinion regarding this particular program?? i understand being cautious in general, but to disregard it without watching much of it seems to be an uniformed opinion.

i agree with you much of the time, but i guess on this particular program, i will have to agree to disagree with you brother.

still much love,
phil

2008/3/18 12:05Profile

Re:

Quote:
but brother, if you did not watch much of this particular program (all 3 hours), then how do you have an informed opinion regarding this particular program?? i understand being cautious in general, but to disregard it without watching much of it seems to be an uniformed opinion.

Thats kinda like telling me that since I dont watch MTV, how can I issue a warning about it.

You're assuming that I found absolute fault with this show. You conveniently ignore the fact that I said this was [b]better[/b] than most...

Instead of actually reading what I said, and then accurately quoting me, you're not paying any attention to what I said.

So I will state it again... clearly... so you may understand... Generally speaking, documentaries about the Bible on channels like the History Channel, Discovery, National Geographic, are not done with a Biblical world view. Therefore, as believers we need to use caution when watching them.

You may think you're above it all, and you can watch shows that cast doubt on God's Word, but you're not. And we dont have to watch every show, or read every book in order to give warning about such.

Fact is, there were times in that show that I DID see that did attempt to cast doubt. Not as obviously as some I have seen... but the fact that you apparently didnt even notice tells me something right there.

Krispy

2008/3/18 14:39
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

KrispyKrittr wrote:

Quote:
There is nothing that an unbeliever has to say about scripture that I am interested in hearing.

How can someone who believes in the Word of the Lord not agree with this statement? How can someone who doesn't believe in God teach me anything that has to do with Him? Yes, they can give me some biblical time frames of when they think things happened, but even these are obscured by the fact that most non-believers take time into a whole different arena to begin with.

Also, this documentary (I watched the third part) did try to cast doubt that Jesus had the "ability" to heal people.

I feel that the third part of the documentary pollutes the Truth of Jesus by casting doubt on who He is and what He did/does.

Watch carefully and with discernment. Lots of avenues created to help spread doubt in believers and non-believers.

2008/3/18 15:18Profile
LoveHim

Indiana, US

Re:

Quote:
I saw bits and pieces of it, and most of the 3rd hour

i read what you said. you said you saw bits and pieces and then most of the 3rd hour. but you completely missed what i have said about the history of the cities, the archeological digs and stuff like that (2nd hour). how many times do i have to say that the historical part was very informative.. i'm not saying to disregard the bible and take a program as fact. come on guys.
Quote:
Fact is, there were times in that show that I DID see that did attempt to cast doubt. Not as obviously as some I have seen... [b]but the fact that you apparently didnt even notice tells me something right there[/b].

is that even necessary?? you might not want to assume so much about fellow brothers. in fact, if you will re-read the opening post and you will see that i did address the fact that they had some of their own opinions and also both sides of certain issues like Jesus death (swoon theory vs resurrection).

come on krispy,
phil

2008/3/18 17:04Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy