SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Great Quotes 2

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
PosterThread
DezCall

The Netherlands

Re:

"Can we go too fast in saving souls? If anyone still wants a reply, let him ask the lost souls in Hell."
- William Booth

2004/9/15 9:08Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:The Piglrim Fathers' Departure from Holland

Pastor John Robinson bade farewell to the Pilgrims on their historic departure from Holland to the New World with the following words:

Brethren, we are now erelong to part asunder, and the Lord knoweth whether I shall live ever to see your faces more; but whether the Lord hath appointed that or not, I charge you before God and His blessed angels to follow me no farther than I have followed Christ. If God should reveal anything to you by any other instrument of His, be as ready to receive it as you ever were to receive any truth by my ministry; for I am very confident that the Lord hath more truth and light yet to break forth out of His Holy Word. For my part, I cannot sufficiently bewail the condition of the Reformed churches, who are come to a period in religion, and will go no farther than the instruments of their reformation. The Lutherans cannot be drawn to go any farther than what Luther saw, and the Calvinists, you see, stick fast where they were left by that great man of God, who yet saw not all things. This is a misery much to be lamented; for though they were burning and shining lights in their time, yet they penetrated not into the whole counsel of God, but were they now living, would be as willing to embrace further light as that which they first received.

Remember your church covenant, in which you have agreed to walk in all the ways of the Lord, made or to be made known unto you. Remember your promise and covenant with God and with one another, to receive whatever light and truth shall be made known to you from His written word; but withal, take heed, I beseech you, what you receive for truth, and compare it and weigh it with other scriptures of truth before you accept it; for it is not possible the Christian world should come so lately out of such thick antichristian darkness, and that full perfection of knowledge should break forth at once.

2004/9/15 15:47Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

"God is the sweetest friend, but the worst enemy."
—Thomas Watson

2004/9/19 19:37Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: Beware of a dividing spirit

Beware of a dividing spirit; shun whatever has the least aspect that way. Therefore say not "I am of Paul, or of Apollos:" the very thing which occasioned the schism at Corinth. Say not "This is my preacher, the best preacher in the land; give me him and take all the rest..." Do not run down any preacher. Do not exalt any one above the rest, lest you hurt both him and the cause of God. On the other hand, do not bear hard upon any by reason of some incoherence, or inaccuracy of expression; no nor for some mistakes, were there really such...

We are to bear with those we cannot amend, and to be content with offering them to God. This is true resignation. And since he has borne our infirmities we may well bear those of each other for his sake.

John Wesley: A Plain Account of Christian Perfection.

2004/9/20 16:35Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

"He that is down needs fear no fall, He that is low no pride."
-John Bunyan

2004/9/21 0:30Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

"A man full of hope will be full of action."
—Thomas Brooks

2004/9/21 22:38Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

"We need to weep over the immorality in our homes. We have to weep and wail that we have broken covenant with God."
-Nancy Leigh DeMoss

"We are playing church. We are so busy trying to be relevant to the world that we have become just like the world..... AND the world is not impressed."
-Nancy Leigh DeMoss

2004/9/23 10:20Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

"EXPECT great things from God, ATTEMPT great things for God."
-anonymous

2004/9/23 16:00Profile
Forevidence

Riverside

Re:

"There is nothing wrong with the command of God to 'stone the false prophet!' The problem is that the church has discerned wrongly and stoned the true prophet! That is why there are no more true prophets in our days, because as soon as they begin their ministry, we rub them out. This is the reason that so many false prophets are running around, not just because it's the end of the age but because we have disobeyed God, His command, and killed off His prophets! We are like Herod, who in the midst of John the Baptist's ministry, chose a wrong time to listen to his conscience instead of the Holy Spirit!"

G.A. Jarquin

2004/9/27 20:04Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
"EXPECT great things from God, ATTEMPT great things for God."
-anonymous

This is not anonymous but is the phrase that birthed the modern missionary movement. It is William Carey. You are to be commended :-P for getting it the right way round. Most people start with 'attempt'.

If folk have not read the original biography by S.Pearce Carey you have a breathtaking feast in store. ..of whom the world was not worthy...

2004/9/28 7:42Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy