SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Is it Dangerous?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
jamccor

New Jersey

Is it Dangerous?

I have a question. I have always been a fan of rock music,especially kiss.Now that I have been saved,I still have a desire for their music.I dont listen to them but I still like to catch up on them via the internet.Is this harmful to my spiritual life? I know that to some people,it wont affect them,but others,it may.How do I know what is right and what is wrong?
Thanks

2008/2/15 11:03Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Is it Dangerous?

Brother,

I would stay away from "all" forms of evil.

[b]Hells Bells (The Satanic Influence in Rock N' Roll)[/b]
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=21899&forum=35&6

2008/2/15 11:06Profile
SimpleLiving

Minnesota, USA

jamccor,

Yes, absolutely this is harmful! And it [i]does[/i] affect everyone who listens to it. People who say it doesn't are lying to themselves. This music, pure and simple, is sin. Not just KISS, but all of it. Others will expound on this better than I can, but YES, this music is very harmful!

2008/2/15 11:09Profile
jgraves11

Munford, TN

In Ephesians 5 the bible deals with this issue. I wish you would read it. It basically says that all sin is bad and that since we are called to be children of light in Christ we should have nothing to do with sinful deeds. This doesnt mean we cant be around sinners it means we are not to have a part in their sinful activties, such as listening to music that does not glorify God. A lot more could be said but scripture does a much better job.

2008/2/15 11:09Profile

Re:

With these types of things, you must ask yourself if it fits into this category:

[b]Phillipians 4:8[/b] [i]Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.[/i]

I think we can all agree that KISS doesnt fit into this very well at all. Some will use this to condemn Christian rock music... but thats another issue. But as far as secular music goes... Phillipians 4:8 should be your guide.

Krispy

2008/2/15 11:26
jamccor

New Jersey

Re:

I guess I could say I had a feeling that it is not profitable to be involved in that type of music.It is strange.I have no desire to listen to it but yet I cant stay off of the websites involved with hard rock music.Its almost like I am afraid I will miss something if I dont check.Its the flesh refusing to let go I guess.

2008/2/15 13:00Profile
SimpleLiving

Minnesota, USA

Re:

Quote:
by jamccor on 2008/2/15 12:00:24

I guess I could say I had a feeling that it is not profitable to be involved in that type of music.It is strange.I have no desire to listen to it but yet I cant stay off of the websites involved with hard rock music.Its almost like I am afraid I will miss something if I dont check.Its the flesh refusing to let go I guess.

Look at it as the same thing as an addiction to soap operas or sports. You're tuning in to see how the band is doing and to keep up on news about them. You've been doing it for so long, it's like they've become "friends" of yours. You probably feel like you're abandoning your "friends." That's why it's hard for so many to give up their addictions to soap operas or sports, or even celebrity news.

The truth is, they aren't our friends. They don't know us from Adam. It's a false emotion, in a sense. God knows us by name and knows everything about us. He loves us as much as He loves Jesus and He provided the way of salvation for everyone! [i]That's[/i] why we worship [i]Him.[/i] People are worshipping celebrities, sports players and musicians and they don't even know [i]who we are![/i] What's more, is that they really don't care. They want our money and adoration. It's all about [i]them.[/i] We get nothing in return. It's false worship. Idol worship. [b]The complete opposite of worshipping the Alpha and the Omega![/b]

That's Satan's specialty - false counterfeits appearing real.

2008/2/15 14:09Profile

Re:

Quote:
The truth is, they aren't our friends. They don't know us from Adam. It's a false emotion, in a sense. God knows us by name and knows everything about us. He loves us as much as He loves Jesus and He provided the way of salvation for everyone! That's why we worship Him. People are worshipping celebrities, sports players and musicians and they don't even know who we are! What's more, is that they really don't care. They want our money and adoration. It's all about them. We get nothing in return. It's false worship. Idol worship. The complete opposite of worshipping the Alpha and the Omega!

I was just going to write the exact same thing. Amen. The only thing these musicians (or any other celebrity for that matter) care about is your wallet. If you were ever to meet the members of KISS, or (fill in the blank) band... you would find out real quick that they dont care a hoot for you. If you dont have money to spend on them, you're kicked to the curb.

Sadly, the majority of Christian musicians today are no different.

Just walk away from it, it's all a lie.

Krispy

2008/2/15 14:50

Re:

thing is some of these hard rock musicians are really good at what they do. (Sorry, I don't count Kiss in this group.)

I think you can appreciate the music and ignore the words, much of which were made up for the purpose of being offensive and to attract attention. i listen to XM radio and enjoy the guitar playing on some of the rock stations, but much of the more modern, "thrash rock" is garbage.

people called jazz the devils music for along time, but i'll take Oscar Peterson over any church music anyday. when he plays you know God intended for mankind to invent the piano.

what really matters, though, is how YOU feel about it. if you feel it is a bad influence on you, causing you to sin, get rid of it.

bub

2008/2/15 14:56

Re:

Quote:
I think you can appreciate the music and ignore the words

Uhmm... thats a load of bunk. Sorry Bub, but the words get into your mind and heart. If they didnt then advertisers wouldn't spend billions every year for jingles, etc used in their commercials.

It is extremely bad advice that your are bringing to the table. And it certainly can not be backed with scripture.

Quote:
what really matters, though, is how YOU feel about it. if you feel it is a bad influence on you, causing you to sin, get rid of it.

And this is not good either. How we FEEL about something doesnt matter one iota. What does God's Word say about it, and the conviction of the Holy Spirit. Our feelings about anything should not be a factor. Our hearts are deceptive to the core... especially to ourselves.

I hate to keep bringing this up, but Bubba, when you offer this kind of advice it does need to be mentioned that you do not believe the Bible is the inerrent, infalable Word of God. I'm not bringing that up out of spitefulness, because I like you. I bring it up because I dont want someone reading your advice thinking you are on the same page as us concerning your beliefs. You're not.

Krispy

2008/2/15 15:10

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy