SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Spurgeon, A.W.Pink on Sabbath

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
broclint

West Monroe, LA

Re:

Well said Krispy.

The quote from C. S. Lewis comes to mind: "Lord, Lunatic, or Devil". First message to the Jews who took part in the crucifixion by Peter was defining who this was that they had crucified "both Lord and Christ", and that knowledge made them respond with "what shall we do".

If Jesus Christ is not the "I am", and if He had not said so, there would have been no crucifixion in the first place, and we could dispense with all the writings of John in the New Testament.

But thank God for the day when His glory will be revealed and every eye shall see Him and every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess...

Clint

2008/2/12 15:50Profile
wildbranch

Re: witchcraft

wildbranch wrote:
[i]Little Gift siad: ... Merely knowing a name and thinking that gives a right to anything is more akin to witchcraft (ie knowing the name of a deity or demon in order to be able to control it - or perhaps to impress in this case?)
Little Gift, are you accusing me of witchcraft or just pretentiousness, or both?
Or are you simply degrading and attacking my character ?
Sharon[/i]

then Jeannette replied:

[b][i]I was making a statement of fact, i.e. "Merely knowing a name and thinking that gives a right to anything is more akin to witchcraft (ie knowing the name of a deity or demon in order to be able to control it".
We have a saying in the UK, "If the cap fits - wear it"
If the cap fits is your problem, not mine.
Jeannette[/i][/b]

Acts 19: 13-17 "Then some of the itinerant Jewish exorcists undertook to pronounce the name of the Master Yeshua over those who had evil spirits, saying, "I adjure you by the Yeshua whom Paul preaches." Seven sons of a Jewish high priest named Sceva were doing this. But the evil spirit answered them, "Yeshua I know, and Paul I know; but who are you?" And the man in whom the evil spirit was leaped on them, mastered all of them, and overpowered them, so that they fled out of that house naked and wounded. And this became known to all residents of Ephesus, both Jews and Greeks; and fear fell upon them all; and the name of the Master Yeshua was extolled."

The evil spirit was angered by this use of the name of Yeshua. It recognised and knew the name, but basically mocked those who thought to use the name unlawfully. It overpowered them in the end.

My use of the phrase "Yeshua Ha Maschiach" is done specifically to state exactly Whom I speak of. quote: ...[i]"I, however, feel confident because of His mercy and grace, and because of my High Priest and Advocate, Yeshua Ha Maschiach, to approach the day of judgement with every hope of being rewarded with eternal life. Thank you."...[/i]

It was used to clearly show whom my High Priest, Mediator, and Advocate is. This in the light of the many [b]Inquisitorial[/b] questions and accusations which were being leveled at me, specifically with regard to 'my salvation'. It appears that [i]many here have decided for themselves that I am not 'saved' and feel free to judge me and rendered the verdict in this public forum, without even knowing me[/i]. After the judgement was made, some decided to take KrispKritter's lead and no longer speak with me. That is fine, I respect their decision. What I [i]do not respect[/i], however, are [b]spurious accusations[/b] of witchcraft and pretentiousness after I used the Hebrew name of the Messiah, just as His early followers would have. Somehow, that stirred something, and, [i]for the record, the 'cap does not fit'[/i]. Thank you.

Sharon

2008/2/12 15:56Profile
wildbranch

Re: not surprised

KrispKritter quote:
[i]Sharon... you're being a bit over sensitive, arent you? You come to this forum (which we're glad to have you here!) knowing full well you do not believe as we believe... and then are surprised when your theology and ideas are met with resistance?[/i]

No. Not surprised at resistance - just the poor display of those who are claiming to live under a 'higher law'. But then again, after reading the long, bloody account of how millions have fared in the hands of 'loving Christians', - actually not surprised.

Sharon

:-(

2008/2/12 15:57Profile
wildbranch

Re: 'cultic'??

LittleGift quote: [i] Especially when such views are basically cultic in nature, not Christian....[/i].

I quite emphatically stated Whom I believe Jesus Christ my Lord to be.

Or is the 'cultic' judgement rendered because I agree with the Lord Jesus Christ when He said:

Matt 5: 15-19: [b]Think not that I have come to abolish the law and the prophets; I have come not to abolish them but to fulfil them. For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the law until all is accomplished. Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. ???[/b]

[i]Let me repost for clarification..[/i].
[color=000000][b]Please let me know which one of the following verses deem me as 'cultic'. Also, please identify in Scripture where someone believing these things is interrogated and judged as cultic for believing them. Not ONCE in Scripture was anything more required or taught. Read each verse carefully, and see if you can say Amen to them, as I do![/color][/b]

Matt 16: 15-17 "He said to them, "But who do you say that I am?" Simon Peter replied, "[b]You are the Christ, the Son of the living God[/b]." And Jesus answered him, "Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jona! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven.

John 17: 3 "And this is eternal life, that they know [b]thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom thou hast sent[/b]".

Luke 1: 32-33 "He will be great, and will be called the [b]Son of the Most High[/b]; and the Lord God will give to him the throne of his father David, and he will reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there will be no end."

1 Tim 2: 5-6a: "For there is [b]one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus[/b], who gave himself as a ransom for all"

1 Cor 8: 5-6: "For although there may be so-called gods in heaven or on earth -- as indeed there are many "gods" and many "lords" -- yet [b]for us there is one God, the Father, from whom are all things and for whom we exist, and one Lord, Jesus Christ[/b], through whom are all things and through whom we exist."

Acts 4: 10-12: "be it known to you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by [b]the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth[/b], whom you crucified, whom God raised from the dead, by him this man is standing before you well. This is the stone which was rejected by you builders, but which has become the head of the corner. And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved."

Acts 5: 30-31: " But Peter and the apostles answered, "We must obey God rather than men. The [b]God of our fathers raised Jesus[/b] whom you killed by hanging him on a tree. [b]God exalted him at his right hand as Leader and Savior[/b], to give repentance to Israel and forgiveness of sins. And we are witnesses to these things, and so is the [b]Holy Spirit whom God has given to those who obey him[/b]."

Acts 7: 55-56: "But he (Stephen), full of the Holy Spirit, gazed into heaven and saw the glory of God, and [b]Jesus standing at the right hand of God[/b]; and he said, "Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the [b]Son of man standing at the right hand of God[/b]."

Heb 7:21 "...The Lord has sworn and will not change his mind, `[b]Thou art a priest for ever[/b].'" .

Rev 3:14 "The words of the [b]Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of God's creation[/b]'

Rom 1 3-4 "the gospel concerning his [b]Son, who was descended from David according to the flesh and designated Son of God [/b]in power according to the Spirit of holiness by his resurrection from the dead, [b]Jesus Christ our Lord[/b].

[color=000000][b]LittleGift. Which of the above verses lend you to pass judgement and use terms such a 'cultic' and 'witchcraft', when referring to my beliefs? Also, where in the Scriptures does anyone insist on any other statement of belief? Please clearly outline your case against me, being very sure that when you take the case to the Most High God, He will confirm your judgement.[/color][/b]

Thank you.
Trusting in my Saviour, Jesus Christ the Lord,
Sharon

2008/2/12 15:59Profile
wildbranch

Re: hebrew terms

Use of the terms 'Yeshua, Shalom and Torah'

I have been reflecting on the fact that some have stated their opposition to (and condemnation of) the use of those terms on this Message Board.

I participate in several discussion groups and forums, and these terms are well used and accepted. I am also studying Hebrew. Many have come to see that the expression of certain Biblical concepts and ideas are best expressed in the richness of the original Hebrew.

Let us take these three terms as examples:

1. Yeshua. More properly rendered in the older format as Yehoshua, meaning 'God will save'. Joshua would be the correct English translation.
2. Torah. The first five books of the Hebrew Scriptures. The prime root of the word, "torah," is "yarah" (Yarah means "to shoot, fire; to throw; to pour - i.e. to rain." It is used "to teach, instruct, direct, show, decide, enjoin, command.".
3. Shalom. Peace, well-being, Hello, good-bye.

Having said that, I can appreciate how these terms would be foreign to most people, and apologise for not thinking of that. :-) I do not quite understand the more outrageous objections, however. But.........as the saying goes "When in Rome......"

Thanks, and sorry for the offense,
Sharon

edit* corrected spelling mistake on 'outrageous'

2008/2/12 16:00Profile

Re:

Quote:
But then again, after reading the long, bloody account of how millions have fared in the hands of 'loving Christians', - actually not surprised.

All I can tell you is... they were not Christians.

Kinda like the lovers of John Calvin, the opressor of Geneva. He could do no wrong in the eyes of some on this forum... yet he was nothing more than a brutal tyrant... in the name of Jesus, of course.

Krispy

2008/2/12 16:03
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Hi everyone,

Sharon,

You said here in this topic,

"This in the light of the many Inquisitorial questions and accusations which were being leveled at me, specifically with regard to 'my salvation'. It appears that many here have decided for themselves that I am not 'saved' and feel free to judge me and rendered the verdict in this public forum, without even knowing me."

In your first post in the thread titled "the ancient paths" which you started, you wrote,

"Peter warns us not be be carried away by the error of the lawless. He takes care to warn us that the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction the writings of Paul, and that we should be forewarned not to be carried away with the error of such lawless ones, those who oppose the eternal Torah of God, upheld throughout the scriptures, but cast aside by the man of lawlessness.

More to come,"

2008/2/12 16:24Profile
wildbranch

Re: tyrant

Krispy quote: [i]Kinda like the lovers of John Calvin, the opressor of Geneva. He could do no wrong in the eyes of some on this forum... yet he was nothing more than a brutal tyrant... in the name of Jesus, of course[/i]...

Agreed.

One example *of John Calvins actions: [b]If one visited the town of Geneva on the 27th of October 1553, one would have been witness of that tragic scene which William Osler describes so poignantly and dramatically[/b]:

....In reply to the exhortation of the clergyman for a specific confession of faith, there was the cry, ‘Misericordia, misericordia! Jesu, thou Son of the eternal God, have compassion upon me!’ Bound to the stake by the iron chains, with a chaplet of straw and green twigs covered with sulphur on his head, with long dark face, it is said that he looked like the Christ in whose name he was bound. Around his waist were tied a large bundle of manuscript and a thick octavo printed book. The torch was applied, and as the flames spread to the straw and sulphur and flashed in his eyes, there was a piercing cry that struck terror into the hearts of the bystanders. The faggots were green, the burning was slow, and it was long before in a last agony he cried again, ‘Jesu, thou Son of the eternal God, have mercy on me!’ Thus died in his forty-fourth year, Michael Servetus Villanovanus, physician, physiologist, and heretic....

Michael's crime: Not a Trinitarian, and did not believe in Infant Baptism.*

Thank God for separation of Church and State!

Sharon

*edit added phrase 'John Calvin's actions'
removed repeated phrase 'did not believe in'

2008/2/12 16:35Profile

Re:

What is the Office of Jesus Christ our High Priest ???

Quote:
My use of the phrase "Yeshua Ha Maschiach" is done specifically to state exactly Whom I speak of. quote: ..."I, however, feel confident because of His mercy and grace, and because of my High Priest and Advocate, Yeshua Ha Maschiach, to approach the day of judgement with every hope of being rewarded with eternal life. Thank you."...

It was used to clearly show whom my High Priest, Mediator, and Advocate is.

This is what one needs to KNOW ..

In the eighth chapter of Hebrews we see a contrast from the OLD Priesthood under the LAW( Old Covenant) to Jesus, the priest and mediator of the New Covenant, stating it is superior to the priesthood and mediator of the old. Also in Hebrews 8 is the contrast in the ministries of Jesus. As a priest, he is as high as the heavens. As a mediator, he is as close as our hearts. The ministry of Jesus is higher than any other, and it is lower than any other....teh mediator between God and MAn, making the ministry of Jesus superior to all others because it is **heavenly** and it changes the **heart**.

In Hebrews 7, the author presents Jesus Christ as a priest according to the order of Melchizedek, superior to the Levitical priests in Israel chiefly because He is eternal.

Hebrews 8 shifts to the **heavenly** aspect of the priesthood of Jesus, which enables a powerful ministry that is in effect here on earth, through the Power of the Holy Spirit indwelt in the believer. In verse 6, where the author of Hebrews says that Jesus has obtained "a more excellent ministry," in which he is a priest (8:1-6) and the mediator of a NEW Covenant (8:6-13). [u][b]In each case the ministry of Jesus New Covenant is shown to be superior to the Old Covenant.[/b][/u]

The old was by the flesh, the New is by the Spirit.

In the first seven chapters, Jesus is said to be the great high priest. In the last six chapters, He presents the New Covenant. Connecting this whole book together, Jesus is the HIGH PRIEST who mediates the New Covenant.

The New Covenant in His Blood...the BLOOD of the Everlasting Covenant...Hebrews 13:20 & 21.where HE is making you perfect in every good work to do His will:

Please read:

The High Priesthood

20Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant,

21Make you perfect in every good work to do his will, working in you that which is wellpleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

How is Jesus High Priesthood working now in us on earth?

11But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

12Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.

13For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

14For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

Love in Christ
Katy

2008/2/12 16:40

Re:

Sharon, your recent tirade reminds me of the saying, "Attack is the best means of defence".

By claiming you are being unjustly judged or accused, you think to divert attention from the main focus of this thread.

We have been very patient with you for the most part, but everything you have said (and especially the manner of it) recently seems to [i]confirm[/i] that you have no wish for real, honest discussion, only to push your own agenda.

Attempting to justify yourself by accusing others of attacking you is just a ploy to avoid facing the truth.

Jeannette

2008/2/12 16:49

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy