SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : To much to read and study!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

To much to read and study!

I have been over whelmed in trying to study the Bible, Apologetics and Theology. Quite honestly it is intimidating coming on SI...the fast knowledge on here is impressive. Just can't learn fast enough. I never read the kind of books I am reading now. For the past ten or so years where just going to church as the typical Christian. but now I have to catch so much has changed.

What recommendations, Grace and Justification, or Hermeneutics and so forth...??

Just to much to read!!! :-)

2008/2/7 20:54
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re: To much to read and study!

Holiness: Its Nature, Hindrances, Difficulties, and Roots by J.C. Ryle

2008/2/7 21:19Profile
jlosinski

North Pole, Alaska

Reformer,
I can relate to how you are feeling, I felt the same way shortly after I rededicated my life back to Christ, I still have to guard against feeling so overwhelmed. I guess a good principle is "Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity..."

There are plenty of "religious people" that have book smarts concerning christianity, but are spiritually retarded, for lack of a better word.

You must rely only on the strength of God to guide you in all studies, it can be a tempation to our intellect and pride when we try to delve into the deeper things.

Keep it simple too, never neglect to read the bible as a first priority, I have found myself reading so many articles and books about christianity that I have forgotten that God's answers to the many theological and moral debates are right there in the Word, if we just look.

Anyway, I'm no expert either, just a security guard at the only hospital here in Fairbanks 8-) , but these are some thoughts that have helped me out.
Joe

2008/2/7 21:33Profile
SimpleLiving

Minnesota, USA

Quote:
by reformer on 2008/2/7 19:54:44

I have been over whelmed in trying to study the Bible, Apologetics and Theology. Quite honestly it is intimidating coming on SI...the fast knowledge on here is impressive. Just can't learn fast enough. I never read the kind of books I am reading now. For the past ten or so years where just going to church as the typical Christian. but now I have to catch so much has changed.

What recommendations, Grace and Justification, or Hermeneutics and so forth...??

Just to much to read!!!

Isn't it wonderful?!

I'm glad someone else brought this up because I've really been wanting to! I didn't because I tend to post excitedly about things others must think are pretty silly.

I can't get enough! I wish I could chew and swallow the Word to make it a part of me! (I told you it gets silly... I can't seem to help it though!) I would love to line up a thousand computers and listen to a thousand of the great sermons on this site at one time!

I crave the Word and wisdom and understanding! It's energizing and exciting to me! I'm desperate to know Him more and more and more! But I'm not wise. Throughout eternity I doubt I'll ever even come to a full understanding of exactly what it truly is that Jesus did for us.

I used to feel the same way you described but I gave those feelings to God. I'm so weak in this area! Then, He reminded me:

2 Corinthians 12:9
And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

Don't be intimidated, brother. Just rejoice and trust the Holy Spirit. As Brother Keith Daniel says, "You're only as good as your quiet time."

2008/2/7 21:37Profile
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Quote:
What recommendations, Grace and Justification

A million times yes!!!!!!!!

Every aspect of the Christian life flows from knowing God's approval of you in His Son.

Two books that every believer should read-

Galatians Commentary by Martin Luther(Charles Wesley was converted when hearing a reading from this, of course John was converted upon hearing the introduction to Luther's commentary on Romans as well)

The Pearl Of Christian Comfort by Petrus Dathenus

If these two books are not used by the Lord to help you considerably in your walk, I don't know what will(I know the Bible first and foremost, but I think you know what I mean)

2008/2/8 0:30Profile
Tears_of_joy

Brother, if I could recommend a book, that would be:

'[url=http://worldinvisible.com/library/nee/nchrlife/]The Normal Christian Life[/url]' by Watchman Nee

2008/2/8 0:53Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

everything by Thomas Brooks , T.A Sparks also.... everything they have written is just so full of God

2008/2/8 2:25Profile

Dearest Reformer,
May I share a little bit of what the LORD taught
me many years ago,when He was at the very first
drawing me(grace) unto Himself.He spoke to me through the Spirit..`not to get any materials
etc...etc...etc.Just get HIS WORD, and I will teach you.'( now be mindful,I did not know anything hardly of His ways, His will and His judgements.)He did not want my mind to be confused with everthing around me.Some things...
maybe true ..somethings maybe not true.
So first of all, I would sajest to you,to let Jesus teach you first by reading the Word and leting the GREAT teacher teach you through the Spirit.
Remembering Jesus said,(Jn.6:63)`The WORDS that I speak unto you, they are Spirit and they are LIFE'..so if they are (and THEY ARE !!)then they
must be Spiritually decerned.
HE is the great Counseler,..and through prayer and seeing your desire, He will help you.
When the Lord drawed me to first seek only Him in this area, I did not know that the scripture in 1 Jn.2:27 where it says:`But the anointing which ye have recieved of Him abideth in you,
and ye need not that that any man teach you;
but the same anointing teacheth you of all things,
and is Truth, and is no lie,and even as It hath taught you,ye shall abide in Him'.
Now may I add, He said` Take my yoke upon you , and learn of Me',which,I can see, you are so
desirous of doing.Isn't it such a blessing when God gives us a desire ?
thank you,and God bless you richly,
Ebeth

2008/2/8 9:16

Re:

Quote:

tjservant wrote:
Holiness: Its Nature, Hindrances, Difficulties, and Roots by J.C. Ryle

Thanks I have been looking for a book on holiness. I read Finding the Reality of God -Paris Reidhead; it touched on that subject, but diffidently wanted something more specific. BTW...I would recommend that book by Reidhead.

2008/2/8 11:12

Re:

Quote:

Tears_of_joy wrote:
Brother, if I could recommend a book, that would be:

'[url=http://worldinvisible.com/library/nee/nchrlife/]The Normal Christian Life[/url]' by Watchman Nee

I have it...but didn't finish. I read have of it. That is one issue I have I will start a book read half way through and then pick up another, then put that one down and pick up the first one...and start off where I finished. A vicious cycle!!!

2008/2/8 11:16

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy