SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Condition of the regenerated heart???

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Bub

San Diego, CA

Condition of the regenerated heart???

I'm more or less posting this thread because recently a friend and dear brother of mine and I have gotten into the discussion of the condition of the heart before and after regeneration.

In Jeremiah 17:9 the bible tells us "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?" Then we have in Ezekiel 11:18-21 "And they shall come thither, and they shall take away all the detestable things thereof and all the abominations thereof from thence. And I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within you; and I will take the stony heart out of their flesh, and will give them an heart of flesh: That they may walk in my statutes, and keep mine ordinances, and do them: and they shall be my people, and I will be their God. But as for them whose heart walketh after the heart of their detestable things and their abominations, I will recompense their way upon their own heads, saith the Lord God." There are so many other verses that come into thought including 1 John 3:20 he tells us "For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things." And finally you have Paul's whole argument in Romans Chapters 6-8. I know that Paul says "For I know that in me, that is in my flesh, dwelleth no good thing", but does this include the heart also.

I'm looking for some scriptural answers on this because I believe a lot of believers today are misled by their "hearts" and not trusting the leading of God's Word by His Spirit. I lean toward the side that the heart remains evil and that God's only desire is to keep it in a place of brokenness, out of the way, so that Jesus can actually live His life in and through us and replace our heart with The Holy Spirit. In depth replies or an url address for some great sermons on this discussion would be much appreciated. God bless.

2004/6/7 16:09Profile
Matthew2323

Colorado

Re: Condition of the regenerated heart???

Try this book:
[url=http://www.rorbooks.com/home/home003.htm]Salvation in Full Color[/url]

This book is a compilation of 20 "great sermons" from America's Great Awakening.

There is one sermon entitled, "Regeneration" which may address some of your questions. Nonetheless, this is a very valuable resource about the doctrine of salvation.

2004/6/8 15:20Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Titus speaks to this subject. "...according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior."

From my understanding the thought of "through the washing or regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit" means that it is a continuous process. For if it is continuous, God knows that our hearts need constant attention.

In Christ
Jeff

2004/6/8 15:35Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

This book is a compilation of 20 "great sermons" from America's Great Awakening.

Quote:

Great recommendation here is the link directly to the book incase you are having a hard time hunting it down:
http://www.rorbooks.com/content/Our_Publications/books002.htm

Salvation in Full Color
Edited by Richard Owen Roberts

Powerful sermons on the doctrines of grace were common during America's Great Awakening. Drawn from the works of the Awakening's leading figures, these twenty sermons, each with a biographical sketch of its author, are arranged in the order they affect the individual. Originally delivered from the pulpit as messages to common congregations, they still speak profoundly today, not just to theologians but to ordinary people. Carrying an immense moral force, these sermons will help each believer better understand what God has given them in Christ and cannot help but to draw them into a stronger relationship with Him.

$17.95
362 p.
6" x 9" (paperback)
ISBN 0-926474-12-X (1994)

---

The Character of God: Timothy Dwight. The Law of God: Samuel Hopkins. Total Depravity: Gilbert Tennent. The Heinousness of Sin: Joseph Bellamy. Dead Works: Theodorus Jacobus Frelinghuysen. Divine Love: John Witherspoon. The Atonement: Solomon Stoddard. Regeneration: Jonathan Dickinson. Effectual Calling: Ebenezer Pemberton. The Work of the Holy Spirit: George Whitefield. Seeking the Lord: Devereux Jarratt. Repentance: Samuel Davies. Justification by Faith: Samuel Blair. Adoption: John Tennent. Conversion: John Blair. Love to God: Joseph Sewall. Perseverance of the Saints: William Tennent. Sanctification: Isaac Chanler. Divine Retribution: Jonathan Edwards. The Final Warning: Asahel Nettleton.

From the Introduction: "These precious truths are too valuable to be received with a grunt or a shrug of the shoulders. The sermons in this book mightily affected people of the past. Let them affect you today. They deal with issues of life and death. Your own soul's welfare is at stake. I beg of you, do not reject these messages because they are too sever, or because they thought processes of the preachers are difficult to follow, or because they are different from anything you have read before. The men who preached these sermons were God-honoring and God-honored men. Their love of Scripture and accuracy in its use is clearly evidenced by the almost countless references they make to the Bible in every sermon. They lived in a wiser and saner time than now, and therefore, what they said is of vastly greater consequence than the prattlings of most of our modern preachers who are significantly responsible for the sordid condition of the church today."

From Samuel Davies's “Repentance”: "It is not the filling of churches but, rather, the filling of a kingdom that is to the glory of God. And it is this that we desire from this generation: that Thou, O God, would grant also that we might be given grace and honor Thee. Heavenly Father, grant that we might learn something about the birth of such a cry. If we began to give only the slightest hint of a cry, then He would begin to hear us... What joyful anticipation there is in heaven now!... Are we still refusing to consider these things? Do we have warmth towards those who seek revival?"

2004/6/8 16:09Profile
Matthew2323

Colorado

Re:

Greg,

Have you finished this volume? I'm close.

In this book, Mr. Roberts' introduction is a wonderful piece on the doctrine of salvation. Wouldn't you agree?

Not to veer too far from the subject, but have you read, "Sanctify the Congregation"? It's a tough one too.

2004/6/8 16:32Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Have you finished this volume? I'm close.

Brother Matthew, I have not gotten it or read it yet but I have been made aware of Owen Roberts fruitful ministry this year and I am very interested in books that he has reprinted or edited. He is a very knoweldgable man and really has a heart for a revival of religion, I think I am going to order this one.

2004/6/8 16:41Profile
Matthew2323

Colorado

Re:

A wise decision.

Get his book, "Revival". That I have finished.
He also just published a book, entitled, "Repentance, the first word of the Gospel". It was printed by Crossway in IL. Amazing!

In his last "newsletter" he said he was working on a book on regeneration as well as a volume on 2 Chronicles 7:14.

Matthew

2004/6/8 17:07Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Get his book, "Revival". That I have finished.
He also just published a book, entitled, "Repentance, the first word of the Gospel". It was printed by Crossway in IL. Amazing!

Thats interesting you mention that! Right now there are Live Seminars run by Robert Wurtz on that exact same subject and he is using that book as a reference for many of the lectures:
[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2125&forum=12]SEMINAR: Robert Wurtz II on The 7 Myth's of Repentance - Part III[/url]

2004/6/8 17:39Profile
Matthew2323

Colorado

Re:

I thought that sermon series sounded familiar...

Mr. Roberts also preaced a series on that book at his home church in Wheaton. I ordered the series on tape. When I get home, I'll locate the church's contact information and post it for those who'd like the tapes. I don't think they have CDs.

You can also contact his book store for info about the series (and others) as well. Click on one of the book links in previous posts and you shouldn't be too far from a phone # or email address.

My apologies to "Bub" for straying so far from your posted topic!!

2004/6/8 17:48Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Mr. Roberts also preaced a series on that book at his home church in Wheaton. I ordered the series on tape. When I get home, I'll locate the church's contact information and post it for those who'd like the tapes. I don't think they have CDs.

If you have any good tapes, cds of these men let me know I am always looking to get more resources up on SI. Yes "Bub" I cordially apologize for the digression of thought and conversation on your thread.. the intended topic may resume. :-P

2004/6/8 18:41Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy