SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : "The Emergent Church": Mark Driscoll tells all!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
intrcssr83

Logan City, Queensland, Australia

"The Emergent Church": Mark Driscoll tells all!

The following is the audio from [url=http://www.sebts.edu/chmessages/resource_2207/Convergent_Mark_Driscoll.mp3]Southeastern Baptist Seminary's 2007 Convergence Conference: "The Emergent Church" - Mark Driscoll[/url]

The message is divided into three parts. First he gives a short autobiographical testimony of himself and his ministry, his role in the early beginnings of the Emergent Church "conversation" until his eventual departure and distancing. Secondly, he looks at the teaching of the leaders within the movement, showing the obvious heresy at it's heart. Last but not least, he gives an instruction as to what the church is to do with regards to confronting the Emergents and engaging postmodernism (very convicting!)

2008/1/18 23:13Profile
Forevidence

Riverside

Re: "The Emergent Church": Mark Driscoll tells all!

The Emergent Church is the real Churches fault. All the compromise in all areas of lifestyle and theology has birthed this garbage.

2008/1/19 2:55Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
The Emergent Church is the real Churches fault. All the compromise in all areas of lifestyle and theology has birthed this garbage.

Brothers,

I went to mars hill and watched a clip of Driscoll and the spirit in me was deeply grieved. This is not true Christianity. In the church people can text message him DURING the service and ask him questions. And they are sort of vetted by a staff and displayed on the screen. The "first" question they asked him was:

"The t-shirts you wear don't they mock Jesus instead of glorifying Him?"

He answers and mockingly shows his shirt: God save me from your followers.

Quote:

I found this so grieving overall. You are right brother.

2008/1/19 8:23Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

Does anybody know any more about Mark Driscoll, Some people say that he is right, I do not understand but I know he is into Postmodernism, is there anybody that has done a good article on him as my Brother is into him and it is hard to debate with him

2010/11/27 20:26Profile
sjeldon

Re:

I have listened to quite a few of his sermons. For someone that leads a 40000 member church. I was suprised by the depth of his messages. I especially like his stance on men. And their need to grow up. Having said that that some of his content is offensive especially his ask anything sessions.

2010/11/27 21:17Profile
intrcssr83

Logan City, Queensland, Australia

Re:

Here's some food for thought:

"His style is that of the vulgar colloquial varied by rant... All the most solemn mysteries of our holy religion are by him rudely, roughly, and impiously handled. Mystery is vulgarised, sanctity profaned, common sense outraged; and decency disgusted... His rantings are interspersed with coarse anecdotes that split the ears of the groundlings; and this is popularity!"

For those who think that this may be an apt description of Mark Driscoll's teaching style, the quote is taken from [i]The Essex Standard[/i], April 18, 1855, describing the journalist's visit to

The Metropolitan Tabernacle, London, pastored by Charles Haddon Spurgeon.
This article was actually included in Vol. 1 of Spurgeon's autobiography.

Something to think about.

2010/11/28 4:51Profile

Re:

Wow, comparing Mark Driscoll to Charles Spurgeon? Seriously? You truly don't know much about Mark Driscoll!

I can see why on the surface some of the bumper sticker theology of Driscoll (God Save Me From Your People) might resonate with some on this forum. Over time I have noticed that there are many here who have either been hurt by the "church" or are disgusted with the "church". What many of you don't realize is that is the "hook" that the Emergent church is using to reel people in.

But make no doubt about it, the Emergent church movement is nothing but pure heresy. It is postmodernism to the very core.

John MacArthur has had a lot to say about Mark Driscoll and some of the other Emergent gurus, I would recommend you begin there when wanted to discover the absolute heresy of these guys. Also on Todd Friel's show Wretched on the NRB Network (DirecTV at 11:30pm) he discusses Driscoll and other Emergent heretics frequently.

One book in particular that MacArthur wrote on the subject is "The Truth War".

2010/11/28 6:45

Re:

By the way... you quoted the newspaper from the 1880's as saying:

Quote:
"His style is that of the vulgar colloquial varied by rant... All the most solemn mysteries of our holy religion are by him rudely, roughly, and impiously handled. Mystery is vulgarised, sanctity profaned, common sense outraged; and decency disgusted... His rantings are interspersed with coarse anecdotes that split the ears of the groundlings; and this is popularity!"

You need to understand that just like today Charles Spurgeon was lied about in the media. Also, when the newspaper spoke of "mystery is vulgarized, sanctity profaned, common sense outraged; and decency disgusted" it was referring to the fact the Mr. Spurgeon spoke in a way that brought the message to the lowest of the low in England. He spoke in a way that brought the gospel message to the common man. Not in vulgar terms as we understand it today... but in a way that the most uneducated man of his time could understand. He did not speak in a high Shakespearean manner, as was the custom of the day for popular preachers in England in the 1880's.

THAT is what was meant by "vulgarized" and "profaned".

Charles Spurgeon NEVER spoke with profanities, never used "vulgar" language as we understand "vulgarity" today. He never uttered blasphemies such as we hear from many of the Emergent Church leaders today.

I have a 15 volume set of Charles Spurgeon's sermons on my bookshelf behind me where I am sitting right now. I will box them up and mail them to you tomorrow... feel free to read every page and I challenge you to find even ONE profanity or vulgarity on any page.

On the flip side, all you have to do is go to YouTube, or read MacArthur's book on the topic of Emergent Churches and the profanity, vulgarity, heresy and blasphemies of the Emergent Church leaders is right there on display.

You need to be very careful when you start talking about the character of someone, even dead people. It falls under "bearing false witness"... gossip.

2010/11/28 7:45
knitefall

Re:

I stumbled across his website a year ago and watched a little here and there to see for myself. In Bible college we were armed with much about this emergent trash where you "reinvent jesus every generation" but I must say that much of what Driscoll has to say is pretty good. Of coarse I wouldn't agree with all of it but he's young and learning still. He definitely knows that he needs to stay away from these extreme circles. In one message he broke down the different flavors of the emergent circles. He also knows who the Head of the Church is and that Righteousness cannot be added by efforts of the human flesh.

2010/11/28 8:00Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, another open flogging of a man who by all accounts has repented of his errors. i saw a man at a fire one night and as i was chilled i came closer to the fire and i heard him deny knowing Jesus and even cursed Him, imade up my mind that night never to be around this weak liar again and just a few days later it is said that he preached Jesus on the day of pentacost and thousands were saved... that has to be a lie because i heard him and saw him renounce Him...zeal can be stupid...jimp

2010/11/28 8:26Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy