SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Hasn't the KJV gone through thousands of revisions?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread

Re:

Quote:
I read the KJV, NKJV and the NIV and occasionally the TLB. I primarily use the KJV, what matters most is, [b]I use the same one that the Apostles Paul and others wrote under inspiration of the Holy Spirit[/b]. Not that I understand all or even much of it, but more each day. It takes the same substance to understand it, as it did to be written.

I love ya, Moe... but this statement reveals to me that you dont have an understanding of the roots issues concerning Bible versions.

Krispy

2008/1/11 13:08
SimpleLiving

Minnesota, USA

Re:

Edited to withdraw my question. I found my answer. :)

2008/1/18 15:18Profile

Re: Hasn't the KJV gone through thousands of revisions?

Actually I've never heard this question asked, not has it occurred to me that there might be many revisions!

Interesting...

I prefer the KJV for private reading, but if reading aloud in a meeting the old-fashioned language perhaps makes it difficult for hearers not so familiar with this version.

It's the best version for memorising because it's so rhythmic, even in the prose.

Or maybe because I was brought up on it and therefore remember more. Read somewhere that ability to memorise things decreases sharply after about age 20!

But it's not merely a sentimental attachment.

Another reason for preferring the King James is that there are probably more and better study resources linked to it. Strong's for one.

I just wish they were allowed to get rid of the eulogy to King James at the beginning - I'm tempted to cut it out but am afraid of disturbing the binding! James was a Bad Man, so shouldn't be there. Probably the translators were afraid he would forbid publishing unless they were extra specially nice to him!

The other thing I'm not keen on is some of the subject headings at the top of the pages - especially the OT ones.

Anyway, this was supposed to be simply a discussion of the article, as Krispy said ;-)

Blessings

Jeannette

2008/1/18 18:42

Re: Original version?

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
Quote:
I read the KJV, NKJV and the NIV and occasionally the TLB. I primarily use the KJV, what matters most is, [b]I use the same one that the Apostles Paul and others wrote under inspiration of the Holy Spirit[/b]. Not that I understand all or even much of it, but more each day. It takes the same substance to understand it, as it did to be written.

I love ya, Moe... but this statement reveals to me that you dont have an understanding of the roots issues concerning Bible versions.

Krispy

Wish I could read and understand the Bible in the original Greek and Hebrew!

Only teasing, Moe ;-) I think you mean that we receive the same Word of Truth, in whatever translation.

That's the wonderful thing about the Bible, in spite of all these versions the Truth still flows from the pages to any who is open in heart to hear the Word of God.

The only exceptions might be false translations by those who have a not-so-hidden agenda, such as the cults. Yet even there there might be enough of the Spirit of Truth that someone might be saved through reading it...?

I think the first widespread, "official" Bible translation after the KJV might have been the New English Bible, though not sure.

That wasn't a very good translation, maybe because some (all?) of the translators were liberal in their theology.

And as for The Message...

in Him

Jeannette

2008/1/18 18:56
Smetty

Re: originalversion?

i just finished watching How we got our Bible, a dvd by Chuck Missler. I strongly recommend this to all those concerned with textual accuracy, which I continually hope we all are. C M addresses both the Old and New Covenant. He brings out many amazing details concerning your question. This can be obtained at www.khouse.org.
Gd Bless you

2008/1/18 19:11Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy