Discussion Forum : General Topics : ESV Bible

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
Tears_of_joy

Re:

Quote:
PaulWest wrote:
Once God smashes a man into a million pieces, the notorious "translation-battle" becomes quite insignificant.

Yes, brother. And not just that battle, but many battles also (of course not the battle for the truth!), but the battles (with every possible permitted 'resource') of fighting to survive staying on the throne. You know, Mr. ME reigning the 'kingdom'.

2008/1/8 19:42Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
Yes, brother. And not just that battle, but many battles also (of course not the battle for the truth!), but the battles (with every possible permitted 'resource') of fighting to survive staying on the throne. You know, Mr. ME reigning the 'kingdom'.

Excellent point. Mr. ME has his ways, doesn't he? He's got a whole entourage, like Adonijah, to run before his chariot and promote his kingship. But it's a puppet potentate. The spiritual Joabs and Abiathars all have an agenda, and Adonijah-self is just the front. What a battle! What treachery!

2008/1/8 19:58Profile
Tears_of_joy

Re:

Quote:

PaulWest wrote:
Excellent point. [b]Mr. ME has his ways, doesn't he?[/b] He's got a whole entourage, like Adonijah, to run before his chariot and promote his kingship. But it's a puppet potentate. The spiritual Joabs and Abiathars all have an agenda, and Adonijah-self is just the front. What a battle! What treachery!

Oh, yes he does! You got me thinking even more now. That's amazing to start examining the ways of Mr. ME. (Psalm 139:23) Much revealing thing, to much scum on the surface ([url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=16033&commentView=itemComments]boiling potatoes example![/url]) isn't it?

But here is how one brother is describing, how the battle of the 'soldier' finish:

All great Christians have been wounded souls. It is strange what a wound will do to a man. Here's a soldier who goes out to the battlefield. He is full of jokes and strength and self- assurance; then one day a piece of shrapnel tears through him and he falls, and whimpering, beaten, defeated man. Suddenly his whole world collapses around him and this man, instead of being the great, strong, broad-chested fellow that he thought he was, suddenly becomes a whimpering boy, again. And such have even been known, I am told, to cry for their mothers when they lie bleeding and suffering on the field of battle. There is nothing like a wound to take the self-assurance out of us, reduce us to childhood again and make us small and helpless in our own sight.

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16624&forum=34]Digged from SI archive.[/url]

2008/1/8 20:21Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
All great Christians have been wounded souls. It is strange what a wound will do to a man. Here's a soldier who goes out to the battlefield. He is full of jokes and strength and self- assurance; then one day a piece of shrapnel tears through him and he falls, and whimpering, beaten, defeated man. Suddenly his whole world collapses around him and this man, instead of being the great, strong, broad-chested fellow that he thought he was, suddenly becomes a whimpering boy, again. And such have even been known, I am told, to cry for their mothers when they lie bleeding and suffering on the field of battle. There is nothing like a wound to take the self-assurance out of us, reduce us to childhood again and make us small and helpless in our own sight.

This is superb, this is truth, this is God's way. Wounds, failures, scum, shrapnel. Blowing living things to bits so that men might be put back together again dead.

2008/1/8 20:49Profile
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re:

Brother Paul,
Thank you for wonderful words specifically of your interaction with your wife. As I read them I was wondering if you had been living under our roof :-P

There is one Word who saves us, and that is Christ, the Word incarnate. Faith is given by the Holy Spirit as one is hearing the Good News of Christ's work for sinners. It matters little what translation one hears the Gospel in, but rather that it is "the Gospel(good news)" of Christ justifying those who come to Him in faith.

This is our weapon against that constant enemy, not satan(though he is there as well), but rather self, and all the lofty views held of self by self. Oh it will be a constant battle to rid the heart of that which thinks righteousness can come from anything we do, or have done rather than Christ alone.

The process you brothers have been describing so wonderfully is that process in which God begins to strike at the idols, and high places within our hearts. We begin to see just how far we fall short daily, nay hourly. Thus it creates a moment by moment dependence upon Christ our life, our High Priest who alone intercedes for us. In the end, we crawl on bended knee to Him and proclaim Him great for His mercy and grace toward one so obstinate, and sinful.

For a real mind blower, get a Greek lexicon, and begin to understand the uses of words, and what the writers were getting at. Of importance is verbs and their tenses, which lose much of their meaning in any translation.

To be brutally honest, there was only one "flawless" translation, and that were the originals, and in many places the KJV differs from what TR says, or gets at through the language. A great example of this is the word "church". Tyndale used the word "assembly" I believe for ekklesia as would be the proper idea, for ekklesia is a compound of two Greek words, "ek" which means "out of", and "kaleo" which means "to call". Thus we see that the word means literally "called out ones".

Just some insight, and friendly words. God's grace to you all.

2008/1/8 21:11Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
Just some insight, and friendly words. God's grace to you all.

Indeed these are friendly words, and your insight is most welcome and cherished. I love you, my dear reformed brother. Thank you for gracing us with the truth you've shared.

Brother Paul

2008/1/8 21:17Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy